credit card to earn points on government charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripper

What are the current card mainly visa or master card to earn points on spend with aust tax office, land tax, city rates

Probably everyone else is aware of this already, but I recently made some purchases on my WOW QFF CC from government agencies and the purchases didn't earn any points. Whilst this isn't remarkable, as "Government Charges" are specifically excluded in the card's T&C's (annoying, but fair enough), I guess I hadn't considered the following to be "Government Charges", but clearly Macquarie does:
  • Cup of coffee and a muffin at a State Government run cafe
  • National park accommodation
  • Australia Post purchases
Whilst I'm not particularly fussed as it all came to a bit under a 1000 (coffee and muffins have really gone up in price recently :)), it pays to be wary of what is considered a "Government Charges" and what isn't. I'd considered "Government Charges" to be things like ATO payments, land tax, stamp duty, fines etc, but it seems to cover a lot more than that and things I'd consider to be purchases not charges.

Won't be falling for that one again!

In Victoria, the charge for using credit cards when paying land tax more than offsets any gains from the points earned.

Fortunately, my Council takes Amex without any extra charge.
Regards,
Renato

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back