Credit card skimming

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's happened to me this year, nodays I visit the bank once a week and get enough cash out to last me.

Isn't that hard, eftpos made me lazy for even small purchases, not any more.

Matt

I have credit cards but dont have an Eftpos card.

I prefer cash for small purchases.

Agree that we need to be vigilant with our credit cards.

I once had my card skimmed by a shop which processed my transaction manually on their computer, by keying in every card detail. The following week my card had fraud charges coming through non stop. I now say No to manual processing.

Agree that we need to be vigilant with our credit cards.

I once had my card skimmed by a shop which processed my transaction manually on their computer, by keying in every card detail. The following week my card had fraud charges coming through non stop. I now say No to manual processing.

Don't know why you are saying no to manual processing when skimming is more normally associated with automatic processing, either way they have your card details.

Don't know why you are saying no to manual processing when skimming is more normally associated with automatic processing, either way they have your card details.

Because with manual processing you are basically guaranteed that your card will be compromised. If a taxi driver starts spinning the line that their machine isn't working and they need to do it manually then it is 100% sure your card will be fraudulently used.

I use my credit card for basically everything. Only once (touch wood) have I had a suspicious transaction. My bank dealt with it very promptly and reversed it immediately.

Of course, I practise safe transacting and insist on doing the swiping myself or at the very least under my direct supervision and only using a PIN where possible. The USA needs to get with the program here with swipe cards and signatures still being used.

I use a mixture of cash for small transactions and CC for everything else.

Will only pay cash at markets and the like.

Bricks and mortar retailers will use CC more often than not even for small transactions.

Text message overnight from Westpac regarding declined transaction.
Called up and apparently I flew to Spain and tried to buy $3500 worth of goods in an Apple Store :eek:
Time to get new cards (yet again) :(

partner and I got lazy and stopped checking our CC statements last year...until we checked one in December and saw a nice $1700 payment to Cisco made with one of our AMEX cards! Checked all the trasactions for the year and found another $5.5K of fraudulent ones - don't ask me how we could not have realised the money was missing, we just did not:rolleyes:
it took a month to dispute the transactions with ANZ but to their credit it was all dealt with promptly and we had all the money credited within a month and all the four compromised credit cards replaced
Apparently, we flew to London to buy some very expensive Gucci sunglassed on Bond street...
Still have no idea where the cards could have been compromised but their strategy was very clever - first a few small transctions ($5, $13, $35 etc) that we obviously did not pay attention to, then later hundreds of dollars untill they upped it to the $1700 and it finally caught our lazy eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back