Credit Card linked to FF programmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold60

I have come to the conclusion I do not earn, fly or spend enough to justify getting a Credit Card with FF points linked to it.

It has been an interesting journey to discover this.

Pretty confusing at first, but I think I have mastered the basics.

About me – Bronze QANTAS FF – 2 years standing (almost); 8000 points so far; no SC – I lost them last year; I might fly from QLD to Tassie once and maybe twice per year; minimal spend at “eligible stores” for FF earning purposes; maybe a shortish Asian trip once per year soon; maybe an around the world trip later in BIZ class without actually doing a RTW flight in the formal/usual sense; about to retire in a year or two will be on a “low” income by most people’s standards, but an adequate income for me.

No matter how I sliced and diced it, I just couldn’t see how a FF point earning/transferring credit card would work, so for me it will be buying my plane tickets on a BFOD basis, and keeping my low fee/low spend, no annual fee credit card.

I learnt a lot………………:(;)

I would be looking at getting an Amex card with no fees. For example, the Qantas Amex Discovery card has no annual fee or other ongoing fees while earning 1 Qantas point per dollar spent. You also get 7,500 points just for signing up.

I would be looking at getting an Amex card with no fees. For example, the Qantas Amex Discovery card has no annual fee or other ongoing fees while earning 1 Qantas point per dollar spent. You also get 7,500 points just for signing up.

for
thanks that.

the other thing i was thinking of doing is when booking, use that points & cash method of paying for the ticket - so that i can at least use the points i have with QANTAS. i also have some SINGAPORE AIR miles to use up too in my KRIS account.

There's also a corresponding fee free AMEX Velocity Escape card. That also has a sign on bonus currently, but not sure exactly what it is right now, here's the general description link:

https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/velocity-rewards-cards/velocity-escape/

You can may get a bigger sign on bonus by looking up the Referrals thread on AFF and using a member's referral. It is worth noting that AMEX will generally allow you to have 2 cards simultaneously, if you wanted both QF and VA.

You can use VA points to move to SQ to marry up with what you have there.

There are often deals with large QFF sign on bonuses where there is no fee for the first year.

I think that you should consider the fact that once you retire, you may have a tougher time getting point earning cards if you change your mind.

My favourite card by far is the Amex Platinum Edge card - it costs most people $195 a year, costs me $149 a year through my Association/Union. I've just booked this year's trip, Melbourne to Brisbane return, where the undiscounted price is typically $195 each way, but even at the discounted price of $129 each way, the free flight pays for the cost of the card. Plus you then earn 3 points a dollar on groceries, alcohol and cigarettes bought at major supermarkets (except Liquorland), and two points a dollar on petrol. At that rate, points accumulate extremely rapidly.

Plus if someone here refers you (me for example), you currently get 15,000 points if you spend $550 in the first two months.That's around $200 of value using Virgin domestic economy travel.

Where your free flight via Virgin can take you is on this link.
http://www.americanexpress.com/australia/campaigns/platinum_edge/destination_guide.shtml

It doesn't do Brisbane to Hobart, but does do Brisbane to Melbourne, where you can then book cheap Melbourne to Hobart flights via V-Mail specials.

Then, for all your non-supermarket and petrol shopping, and where Amex isn't accepted, get a cheap credit card that earns half a point per dollar on utility bills, health insurance and other purchases. The Jetstar card comes to mind (just make sure you apply when one of their bonus point offers comes along).

These measures could take care of most of your domestic travel plans and needs for a mere $254 a year (and probably have lots of points left over).
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
Thank you Renato. i have had a good read of your ideas, and think i MIGHT be able to make them work. Just need to give it some further thought.

This is very kind of you .

Thank you Renato. i have had a good read of your ideas, and think i MIGHT be able to make them work. Just need to give it some further thought.

This is very kind of you .

No problem.
As I wrote it, I was actually thinking of a friend of mine who is on a lowish income - he can't now qualify for the cards, and thus he has to usually pay full price for his fares to Brisbane once a year.

I gave him last year's free flight to Brisbane, as was running out of time to use it because of other plans and commitments.
Regards,
Renato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back