Credit Card fee waived?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxxnxs

Hello

Currently I'm holding the CBA standard rewards card and the new annual charge will come soon. Just querying has someone got annual fee waived successful, as I know CBA normally does not waive any fees for the customer. I don't care about the point of credit card, is that a better idea to apply a no annual fee card such as Bankwest ZERO master card?

Thanks

Hey wxxnxs,

Usually if you have a mortgage with a bank, they are happy to give you a gold card or some sort with the fees waived, just so they can be sure that all your pay goes to them every fortnight / month, and if you have trouble paying off their card they can have your mortgaged property sold or whatever....

however with the ever decreasing air fares and the increasing cost of credit card annual fee plus frequent flyer program fees, plus you still need to pay tax and surcharges if you can find the flight to redeem (which is hard for xmas / new year / easter / school holidays) etc... I wonder why bother ...

UNLESS you pay off bills for a business, with turnover of like over >$50,000 p.a. ,that's worth while....

CBA usually won't budge on their CC fees. As it has been pointed out, you can get a free gold card (saving $114) but you need to have the wealth / professional package with your mortgage.

I've managed to get some pretty great credit deals on my card from CBA:

1) Applied for a Visa - was given the Low Rate card with with ~$24 annual fee waived for the first year
2) After 2 months of paying the whole balance off before the due date, asked for a free upgrade to Commonwealth Awards, which was granted
3) After a year, "ANNUAL CHARGE" showed up on my bill... I phoned the call centre, and told them that while I have been using the CBA card as a backup to my Amex, my Westpac MasterCard gives me the same points rate as CBA Awards for no extra cost, so why should I bother paying the CBA card fee... She put me on hold for a few minutes, and returned to say that the annual fee had been reversed, and a few days later "ANNUAL CHARGE REFUND" appeared on my account :D

Having said this, they've also offered two limit increases in the last year, without me having to ask...

Now though, I can't justify paying the extra $10/year to link up to Qantas Direct Earn with their Awards thing (when this is included with my Westpac card), so I'm planning on calling them soon to see if they'll waive that too - as I haven't used the card since about April as a result :p lol

I don't care about the point of credit card, is that a better idea to apply a no annual fee card such as Bankwest ZERO master card?

You can switch your Awards card to a Low Fee card, with No Annual Fee for Life campaign. Spend $1000 over the course of a year and the $24 annual fee is waived. The cards are almost identical, you're just swapping the privilege of points for no annual fee.

Or if you don't like your points that much, and don't want to change anything, just pay for your annual with with 9200 award points?

i got my cba awards card fee waived for another year plus given 1000 bonus points when i wanted to cancel inside a branch it since the annual was due. however it took many visits and calls for the 1000 bonus points to arrive after 3 months. i cashed out the points for cash credit.

Well Commbank is introducing annual fee reductions (after they jack up the price for the Plat card!) if you hold certain accounts with them.

http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/apply-online/download-printed-forms/ADB1682.pdf

Looking at the list of eligible accounts, the easiest (free!) ones you could apply for would be AwardSaver / Netbank Saver accounts.

New fees:
Awards: $59/$89
Gold Awards: $114/$144
Platinum Awards: $250/$280

Well Commbank is introducing annual fee reductions (after they jack up the price for the Plat card!) if you hold certain accounts with them.

It's not really a fee reduction given the annual fee stays the same, unless you don't hold any other accounts with the bank, then it increases by $30 respectively.

Looking at the list of eligible accounts, the easiest (free!) ones you could apply for would be AwardSaver / Netbank Saver accounts.

A Netbank Saver account requires you to hold a Streamline/Access account, which starts at $4pm.

The easiest option is an Awardsaver account - keeping a balance of $500 or depositing money once every 6mnths will waive the account keeping fee, it's not a 'free' account though. The alternative is a Pensioner Security Account if you're eligible (hold a pension card or be over 55yrs old).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back