Credit Card Correction - Equifax/Experian

Hi gang,

Wondering if anyone has had any experience on removing incorrect enquiries from either Equifax or Experian online?

1. What's the general turn around time
2. What is the success rate of actually resolving the case for you
3. How long did it take before being removed from the credit file

Cheers,
KH

Hi gang,

Wondering if anyone has had any experience on removing incorrect enquiries from either Equifax or Experian online?

Cheers,
KH
Yes, I've done this, there was another person with same name and DOB as me and I had about 1.3million of their loans showing. The amount of loans was different info on Equifax/Experian and also another credit agency I think? One was much worse than the other 2 (can't remember which one).

I only discovered it after the Optus data breach.
I used to only check my credit rating (not my actual credit file), which was fine as thankfully we both had 100% of payments on time.

I did get declined on a few credit cards over the years but I thought it was because I didn't have a high enough income, now I think it was because it looked like I had massive loans.
Some credit cards were approved though so I think it depended on which credit agency the banks checked with?

Anyway, to answer your questions, I can't remember the exact time it took but it was within the stated timelines, and the loans were removed from my credit card as soon as the matter was resolved. I tried ringing them to do it but had to go through the process online (ringing was just a waste of time).

I should also mention that both my credit cards and mortgage were also listed correctly so I had my file combined with someone else's, including their mortgage, business loans and credit cards.

Even though we lived in different states and they had a middle name and I didn't.

Yes, I've done this, there was another person with same name and DOB as me and I had about 1.3million of their loans showing. The amount of loans was different info on Equifax/Experian and also another credit agency I think? One was much worse than the other 2 (can't remember which one).

I used to only check my credit rating (not my actual credit file), which was fine as thankfully we both had 100% of payments on time.

I did get declined on a few credit cards over the years but I thought it was because I didn't have a high enough income, now I think it was because it looked like I had massive loans.
Some credit cards were approved though so I think it depended on which credit agency the banks checked with?

Anyway, to answer your questions, I can't remember the exact time it took but it was within the stated timelines, and the loans were removed from my credit card as soon as the matter was resolved. I tried ringing them to do it but had to go through the process online (ringing was just a waste of time).
Ah that makes sense. What if my spouse changed her maiden name, and credit file is still showing her previous name. Would that have an impact? Coz I did see equifax suddenly disappeared for a month then dropped 200 points + after it was reinstated

I had issues with two entries for one Amex card. My card was hacked and they issued a new number which appeared as a second account on the report. It took quite a bit of back and forth between Amex and the reporting agency before it was rectified, because Amex saw it as correct (the account number was the same and the dates were sequential) but the banks saw it as me lying about the number of cards I had.

Sorry forgot to ask what was average turn around time for resolving n issue?

After the Optus breach, I noticed that an old business address was listed as a place of residence (due to a Corporate AMEX card). Lodged a correction to remove it and was processed in 4 to 6 wks. No big deal, but the system worked.

Hi gang,

Cheers,
KH
Yes.
  1. It took 4 requests and complaints over 3 months for an incorrectly declined credit card application. I had to keep calling the bank and submitting more requests.
  2. Pretty low, have only had it removed once for that credit card application. For other enquiries such as incorrect home address, Equifax/Experian have just ghosted me.
  3. Once the bank finally approved it to be corrected, it only took a few business days for Equifax/Experian to action it.

I'm trying to locate the legislation stating when a bank must remove a cancelled credit card from a credit report. Any assistance appreciated.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back