Credit card approval after going part time

mamunr

Hello brains trust,

My wife has recently gone part time after we had our first child. After applying for a couple of cards, she has been rejected each time (Westpac and Citi).

Understandably we haven't gone for the most premium cards anymore (eg typical Black cards), but cards with bonuses where its clear the minimum income requirement is $30k (eg typical 'Platinum' cards). Her income is double this so I'm not really understanding.

We do have a joint investment home loan but the rent covers the repayments 100%.

Every time we call the bank to ask why the rejection occurred they just give a generic response.

Is anyone having similar issues, or any advice on which banks maybe more lenient?

Cheers,

Ray

Hello brains trust,

My wife has recently gone part time after we had our first child. After applying for a couple of cards, she has been rejected each time (Westpac and Citi).

Understandably we haven't gone for the most premium cards anymore (eg typical Black cards), but cards with bonuses where its clear the minimum income requirement is $30k (eg typical 'Platinum' cards). Her income is double this so I'm not really understanding.

We do have a joint investment home loan but the rent covers the repayments 100%.

Every time we call the bank to ask why the rejection occurred they just give a generic response.

Is anyone having similar issues, or any advice on which banks maybe more lenient?

Cheers,

Ray
MrsOatek was down to one day a week, and we wanted to sort out a Credit card. Went to Westpac* branch, had a long discussion, disclosed her (tiny) income but substantial savings and super. Best we could do was a Mastercard with a $4k limit, but better than nothing.

Note * Westpac was our joint bank that my income was paid into. MrsOatek banked with St George, which is owned by Westpac, so we kept it in the family so to speak.

Yeah exact same problem. Wife working part time was way over minimum income requirements but was getting rejected. Only exception was Amex charge cards as I believe they are governed by different credit laws. Didnt bother arguing with bank credit card rejections. Waste of time. Just wait 5 years until she is in full time work and get her back on the treadmill.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back