Cost justification to renew my Amex Charge Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.

sighing

Hello all

I'm still new to this forum but I love reading about everyone's experiences and hope that I can add some value here in the future.

In the meantime, I am approaching my annual renewal date (Aug) for my platinum charge card and was looking for some comfort on the fee ($900?).

Some background: I do travel at least 2 or 3 times a year internationally, mostly cattle class and perhaps 6 -8 time domestically each year, again mostly cattle class. I do have a trip booked in December to Thailand which for me and my family (missus and 1 x child) will be travelling business class.

I'm in the following programs courtesy of Amex:
SPG Gold
Priority Pass
Marco Polo CX Diamond (actually waiting for my membership application to be processed)

The programs are good - don't get me wrong - and I love the 1.5 points per dollar spend but do they really justify the 900 annual fee? This is the bit I'm having problems reconciling.

I've tried using the platinum travel service on a few occassions and apart from one time in the US where I got a pretty good deal, I find that their pricing is not competitive at all compared with booking directly with the airline. Case in point today, I asked for a quote on the Thailand trip after receiving the latest Platinum Touch booklet. Best on offer was with BA for $3,747.47. It's ok but still $100 more than Thai Airways (which I happen to think offers a top quality BC service). This was supposed to be a "super" deal and up to 31% of normal published fares yet still was no better than going directly via the airline.

Is anyone experiencing similar notions? Do you think the platinum fee really is worth it ATM? I appreciate your thoughts on this...

Cheers,
Sigh!

My initial justification:

75000 points - $1000 (once only)
Travel insurance - $300
Free flights - $250 (via the free credit card)
SPG Gold $50-100
Priority Pass - $100 - have used at SYD,BKK,HKT in last 12 months. With no DJ access value diminished, and I am QF Plat
Amex services - really haven't used
CX Gold - (Plat is just for Cennturion) - pass QF Plat

Am up in October so will see.

Last edited:
Just ring them, ask to cancel the card and they'll transfer you to someone who will offer to halve the annual fee. It comes as a rebate the following month.

Just ring them, ask to cancel the card and they'll transfer you to someone who will offer to halve the annual fee. It comes as a rebate the following month.

If you use the card enough, it pays for itself on the bonus points.

If you would max out your bonus on your charge card and the credit card - you get an extra 150000 points - that's already $1500 cash back if you get it when you have discount. Otherwise, David Jones gift vouchers usually go for around 94000/$1000 during discount periods, and if you like me who travels - a J fare say to HKG on CX is about 115000 points which is around 4k.

I called up recently and was offered only a $200 credit. I'd renew at that cost but would prefer the $450 so might try a different operator in a couple of days.

Yeah - I think that's good advice. I'll give it a go and post the result. FWIW, I did this recently with my Foxtel subscription and effectively got the same deal for 1/2 price for 6 months (also comes up for re-negotiation next month).

Thanks
Sigh!

You'd spend close to the $900 fee on equivalent travel insurance for your whole family for just one trip.

I also "give a little" and have my parents as supplementary card holders - they never use the card but are then also covered by the travel insurance. Given they are in their 70s (the Amex policy covers yo-u automatically up to 80), this saves them $1000s a year.

Priority pass is pretty useless in Aus now - but it is useful everywhere else in the world if you travel.

But the best benefit for me is free valet at Westfield - saves me $15-$30 a week :)

I was going over the same issue as I have just been slugged with my $900 fee. Last year I got a reduction to half the fee as they were offering this to new cardholders. This year I sent a letter outlining issues I had had with the travel service (issue with rental car booking not being booked while in NZ), two issues with getting tickets for rugby matches (issue with amount charged both times requiring a credit to my account), the 75,000 bonus points offered to new cardholders. I have been a cardmember in NZ/Aust since 1999 and said I thought service standards and some of the card benefits were not that great and that the payment terms had changed, and that I had spent about $900 worth of my time calling to get issues resolved, all eroding the value of the card in my view. They emailed me back and said my issues were resolved and they were not willing to reduce my fee, to which I replied you can cancel my card and I will take my business elsewhere. So will see what happens.

I rang last year regarding the $900 and they halved it to $450. I won't bother this year as i did get my $900 value out of it - including the travel insurance... Also I can't see them doing it every year..

I keep forgetting about the Valet car service at Westfield.. must use it one day!

I keep forgetting about the Valet car service at Westfield.. must use it one day!

I hadn't even noticed it - is it online somewhere?

For me the travel insurance, refund protection and loss damage waiver on hire cars make the $900 more than worthwhile.

I've put in one or two claims and all have been paid out quickly with no fuss. Just as an insurance policy should be!

Cheers

Steve

When are people calling?

I've just noticed that my fee was charged - is it too late to try and get it discounted?

I rang last year regarding the $900 and they halved it to $450. I won't bother this year as i did get my $900 value out of it - including the travel insurance... Also I can't see them doing it every year..

Hi, just to update, I finally got around to calling Amex today (just been sooo busy with work).

Initially, I advised the CSR that I was thinking about cancelling my card as I didn't feel I was getting value from it versus the annual fees. (which I don't).

They passed me from the initial CSR to the cancellation department, who then advised that this needs to be escalated to a customer services manager. Following this, came back after being placed on hold and advised that the manager is not currently available.

The manager is supposed to call me back within next couple of days to discuss with me.

I'll update the post once I've heard back from Amex.

Cheers.

Hi, just to update, I finally got around to calling Amex today (just been sooo busy with work).

Initially, I advised the CSR that I was thinking about cancelling my card as I didn't feel I was getting value from it versus the annual fees. (which I don't).

They passed me from the initial CSR to the cancellation department, who then advised that this needs to be escalated to a customer services manager. Following this, came back after being placed on hold and advised that the manager is not currently available.

The manager is supposed to call me back within next couple of days to discuss with me.

I'll update the post once I've heard back from Amex.

Cheers.

Ha ha!! Which kind of proves the lack of customer service...

Update: after a little bit of phonetag, eventually got to talk with an Amex person today. i did not get her job title but by implication, she seemed to be an account manager.

Anyway, it was a quick call. My fee was halved to $450. Deal done and dusted for another 12 months.

Thank you all for the helpful views. I appreciate it.

Cheers
Sigh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back