Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Silver
Oneworld
Emerald
Star Alliance
Gold
Has anyone tried to convert an Explorer card to a Platinum Reserve card recently?

With the coming devaluation in April, those with a Platinum Charge + Explorer combo will find the Explorer to be useless as you could get the same benefits from the Platinum Reserve which is free as a companion card for those with the Platinum Charge.

I converted my Velocity Playinun to Reserve a few years ago. The person who did it for me suggested can only be done with specific cards (I got the Explorer after the Reserve). I think it was also because they claimed to keep posting me the application but I never received it.

I reckon it’s worth a call to see if they’ll do it. I’d be tempted to wait to do it until closer to April to maximize the current Explorer earn but good to lock on the Reserve if they’ll do it.

Please let us know how you go.

I am not sure you need to 'convert' the Explorer to Reserve if you hold a Charge (based on your scenario of someone holding a Charge+Explorer combo). As a Charge holder you can get a complimentary Reserve. Then it is simply a matter of canceling the Explorer.

You have to apply separately for the Reserve. They won’t give it to you automatically. Subject to another assessment and credit check. If you don’t need any extra credit and want to get the benefits of Explorer conversion is a good option if they’ll let you do it.

Definitely worth a try and I’m sure with the upcoming changes others would be keen to find out how you get on

I am not sure you need to 'convert' the Explorer to Reserve if you hold a Charge (based on your scenario of someone holding a Charge+Explorer combo). As a Charge holder you can get a complimentary Reserve. Then it is simply a matter of canceling the Explorer.

It avoids a credit check as it'd be treated as a new application when taking this route would avoid that.

I tried to "convert" the plat edge to reserve, but they don't let you do it, I was sent a new application form to apply (can't apply online as it recognises the Explorer as Plat Reserve)

Is anyone else looking to attempt this come 15/04?

Made a call (connected with the Philippines call center) asked for a switch - they said I have to apply for the Reserve and I can't "switch". I tried to explain Explorer and Reserve are the same family but she said no, one is Gateway and the other is Ascent... don't think she knew what she was talking about as I see other forum posts of people being able to switch between Qantas Discovery and Velocity Escape without reapplying.

So frustrating.. just a matter of getting the right person.. will try again

I think you will find the agent is correct... Explorer is Gateway....Platinum Reserve is Ascent....two different point systems.

Has anyone had any success recently? I've been debating getting the Platinum Charge and if I do I'd rather convert the Explorer over than have to go through another check on my credit file etc.

Any tips on getting this to happen or is it pretty difficult/impossible?

i just submitted a new application for the reserve earlier this week.
asked for the minimum $3k credit limit and also wrote on the form to reduce my explorer limit by $3k if necessary.
lets see what happens

The downside to that approach is that you'll get another ping on your credit file, although it reduces the need to play call centre roulette to find someone able to do a conversion.
Were you planning on keeping the Explorer once you get the Reserve issued?

The downside to that approach is that you'll get another ping on your credit file, although it reduces the need to play call centre roulette to find someone able to do a conversion.
Were you planning on keeping the Explorer once you get the Reserve issued?

for a few months as have some upcoming bookings, AF not due till Sept.
Will cancel by then

EDIT: there was no "ping" when i applied for hte platinum for me

That's a great result. I was pinged quite hard - took my Equifax score a long time to recover from the Platinum Charge inquiry and I don't make many applications in a year, but do make some every year. I was able to get my Velocity Platinum converted to Reserve. At the time, I thought it was because they kept 'posting' the Reserve application and it never came. I think it's discretionary goodwill depending on the operator you get. Everything is possible if the will is there.

I tried recently without any success. They do now have an online application for the reserve which was very easy to complete though. It didn't work initially, stating I already had the card. The call centre had to remove my explorer from my online account and then I was able to complete the online application.

It's practically impossible to change card product these days without a credit check, gone are the good old days where a phone call will have this sorted.

Just been approved for my reserve card, should arrive in the mail in the next few days. Will keep explorer as well side by side till explorer anniversary date in September.

Only uploaded the form yesterday via the document upload feature in my account

Just been approved for my reserve card, should arrive in the mail in the next few days. Will keep explorer as well side by side till explorer anniversary date in September.

Only uploaded the form yesterday via the document upload feature in my account

so i ended up uploading the form twice, after the first attempt heard nothing for 2wks so instead of calling to chase up, I just uploaded it again.
now I have two reserve cards! WTF!

1 hit on the credit file

so i ended up uploading the form twice, after the first attempt heard nothing for 2wks so instead of calling to chase up, I just uploaded it again.
now I have two reserve cards! WTF!

1 hit on the credit file
Let us know if you have double travel credits and no annual fee for both of your Reserve cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back