Commonwealth awards points ratio vs QFF points

Status
Not open for further replies.
heya! im looking for better alternatives, im not CBA or qFF loyal in any way,,

Don't get me wrong. I still fly mainly QF. I sense they are struggling to keep the ball in play at the moment, but I still love to fly them. CBA on the other hand have lost my business. I transferred my points and cancelled my 10 year old Gold card. Just not competitive either points or price wise. They made no attempt whatsoever to keep me as a long standing customer either.

what sort of spending do you need for trips to say asia?

I don't know where you are, but assuming SYD. Hows:

SYD-HKT, Business, return, 4-5 Feb, $830 + 13,800 Velocity points?

or

SYD-DPS, Business, return, 4-5 Feb, $543 + 13,800 Velocity points?

These are classic awards and apparently likely to change and get more expensive when sold post JAN 2012, but right now, extremely good value.

the only reason I did QFF was because many years ago when I compared it to the flight options via comm awards QFF was far better

since then they ahve introduced flight centre vouchers which seems to work out better in some situations,

can anybody recommend alterntaives??

Amex. MR lets you transfer to a heap of airlines and warehouse your points at Amex until you need them.

for the record, I have CBA Diamon Visa+amex, AND Citibank Visa Plat

I currently use CBA AMex for 1.5 point/$ and Citibank Visa Plat for $1/1 point

Thats a good earn on the co-branded Amex and also on the Visa. I still have direct sweep cards too, and thats fine, happy to keep increasing the pile of QFF points, but it leaves you little flexibility and well 'handcuffed' to QF :)

Last edited:
wow, they seem pretty good, im in melb, so if you halve that for arguments sake

$271+6900 points for economy from Syd to DPS

what would the cost for economy to HKT or DPS be,

and I assume its $1per 1 point???

If you are a Velocity member you can do dummy bookings to get pricing in $$ and points. But for the benefit of those who may be watching, as of today, and bear in mind the real probability of change in rewards pricing as of the 18th of this month (talked about elsewhere on AFF):

MEL-DPS, J class = $501.76 + 13,800
MEL-DPS, Y class = $474.46 + 13,800 (assuming 23Kg luggage)

MEL-HKT, Y class = $860.61 + 13,800 (assuming 23KG luggage)

Doesn't seem to be a listed J class MEL to HKT or BKK which is weird, but there you go.

As you can see, and it will be no surprise to many, redeeming FF points against discount Y is not great value. I'm currently valuing my VFF points at 3c each, same as I value QFF points - right now its relatively easy to get even greater value than this, but if we assume 3c, then the 13,800 points above = 414$ of value to me, so, the Y redemption MEL-DPS shown above would be valued by me at $414+474 = $888 ... far too high and I'd never actually redeem this way.

Business class on the other hand is valued at $414 + 501 = 915. Given extra luggage allowance, lounge access (at least at the Aussie end, not sure about lounge at DPS) + generally better F & B I'd buy that one.

apologies for sort of asking hte same question,

so I just got a quote from Melb to Thailand, 72000 points via QFF, + $450 odd in tax

Jetstar current have a promotion Melb to Thailand $550 return

so its obvious that the points are worth something so ridiculuously bad!

however, although im opted into QFFDirect, I saw that on CBA Awards, I can get a $1000 Flight centre voucher for 184,000 points which is essentiall $61333 spend (assume all amex purchases)

however, it costs me $48,000 to get 72,000 frequent flyer points for a return trip to thailand,

so my logic is would it be far more economical to spend $1000 at flight centre, book the flight for $550, and spend the remaining $450 on other things????

does flight centre even do jetstar?? their website didnt show any jetstar flights

I dont intend to travel to europe, maybe USA once, and a few more flights to asia!

I understand that during peak periods, these $550 flights will be more like $1100,

also, is there any other way to maximise my spending at all? Maybe I should try this velocity program especially now they are having a 10% promo

any feedback would be greatly appreciated,

from a very frustrated QFFer who recently came back from a flight on a jetstar plane after spending 72,000 in points + $450 in tax, and had to pay for food

Never use QFF points to fly Jetstar. They are best saved for QF J and F seats.

Righto, well, there is a lot going on in that post. Lets see if I can help in any way.

so I just got a quote from Melb to Thailand, 72000 points via QFF, + $450 odd in tax

So, this is a classic award, presumably on QF metal? This might be important later when we try to compare apples with apples (QF v JQ)

Jetstar current have a promotion Melb to Thailand $550 return

so its obvious that the points are worth something so ridiculuously bad!

Not obvious to me yet. Are you assuming that your 72000 points + tax will buy a JQ fare?

I just did a completely random pick of a flight for MAR, MEL-BKK return all on QF metal ... looks like discount Y, "sale fare", they want about 2144$. For the sake of argument, lets assume that the 72K + tax classic reward was this same flight ... that would be $2144 - $450 (tax) = $1694 / 72,000 points = 2.4c / point of potential redemption value.

Of course if you are sure that the 72,000 points + tax was going to be redeemed against a $550 JQ flight then yes, I agree, extremely poor value (550-450 = 100 / 72,000 = 0.1c / point)

however, although im opted into QFFDirect, I saw that on CBA Awards, I can get a $1000 Flight centre voucher for 184,000 points which is essentiall $61333 spend (assume all amex purchases)

This would be the CBA Plat branded Amex I assume?

184,000 CBA rewards = $1000 flight centre voucher? Fair enough. In QFF speak this would be 184,000 (CBA) / 2 (conversion rate) = 92,000 (QFF) = $1000 or 1.1c / point of redemption. Not the worst I've seen thats for certain. Wouldn't tempt me though as I won't redeem for less than 3c a point (QFF).

however, it costs me $48,000 to get 72,000 frequent flyer points for a return trip to thailand,

so my logic is would it be far more economical to spend $1000 at flight centre, book the flight for $550, and spend the remaining $450 on other things????

The key here is your own view of "more economical".

$61,333 of spend = 1000$ returned. So, 1.631% discount (essentially)

$48,000 = 72,000 points which will buy $1694 of QF airfare (+$450 in tax) = 3.53% discount

On the one hand you'd be taking a discount JQ flight, on the other hand you'd be taking a discount QF flight .... there _is_ a difference in product level here, so probably not that easy to do a straight comparison.

In my books, FF programs are about extracting maximum _value_, not the cheapest seat on the day. For BFOD situations I'll rarely give away my FF points for such bad exchange rates.

does flight centre even do jetstar?? their website didnt show any jetstar flights

Sorry, I have no idea.

I dont intend to travel to europe, maybe USA once, and a few more flights to asia!

I understand that during peak periods, these $550 flights will be more like $1100,

also, is there any other way to maximise my spending at all? Maybe I should try this velocity program especially now they are having a 10% promo

any feedback would be greatly appreciated

The first thing I had to do when I started paying attention to this stuff was to work out what a FF point was worth to me. My preferred class of travel is J, so I wandered off and did a large amount of dummy flight research to work out what a QFF or VFF (or whatever program) was going to be worth to me if I exchanged them for J class seats. This worked out, on average, at about 3c each. Now that VFF has their business fares in place it didn't surprise me all that much that their redemptions were similar at about 3c each point - of course there are certain promotions, sales, routes, etc where much much higher value can be found, but on average, on any given day, I expect to redeem at least 3c a point with either QFF or VFF.

Now, suppose I decided that I would never consider flying J, then things change considerably. I did the same calculation for VFF and QFF against discount economy fares. There is variation, but again, across the average, I'm looking at redeeming at values between 0.7 and 1c per point.

This stuff is important if you are trying to find a good card fit for your lifestyle and expectations. For example, if I only ever redeemed at 0.7c a point and if each $ spent obtain one Amex MR point, then my Amex Edge card at $149/year would take over 21,000 of spend per year just to break even on the annual fee alone!!! Because I redeem for J at minimum 3c a point though I'm actually breaking even at $4966 of spend ... so it works for me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that spending too much time and effort tracking points and working the system when you are interested in deep discount on-sale economy fares might not give you a lot of satisfaction ... try aiming at PE or J seating for your points burn once a year to the USA.

from a very frustrated QFFer who recently came back from a flight on a jetstar plane after spending 72,000 in points + $450 in tax, and had to pay for food

I'd be annoyed too. Did you not notice during booking that your flight would be on JQ? I won't travel on LCC's myself and pay very close attention to any monkey business being pulled on me by booking engines.

Thanks moopere

Great and fantastic response

Im not too familiar with what a J Flight is but I will find out

You value your points at 3c per point, can you please tell me how you redeem it and in your opinion what is the best way to get the highest points value possible

When I was referring to $500 flights that was based on jets tar flights

I know it's not fair comparing qantas planes and jet star planes but when i go to a city or country that has jet star fleets and even if I book using qantas points I get the jet star flights and jet star service (no food no tv no drinks no nothing)

Im willing to change programs to get a far better redemption

Im not too familiar with what a J Flight is but I will find out

My apologies. As Yo Yo Ma has said, J fares are Business fares, Y are Economy fares. I should have been clear. BFOD = Best Flight of the Day, generally the cheapest Y fare available on any given day you need to fly.

You value your points at 3c per point, can you please tell me how you redeem it and in your opinion what is the best way to get the highest points value possible

This forum is full of people with heaps of knowledge constantly playing "the game" - have a big read, there is a ton a relevant stuff. There is no easy answer you see - you have to read and gain knowledge because everyone's situation is slightly different.

However, to give a really quick and dirty example of what I mean by redeeming QFF points against Business class tickets to gain additional "point value", consider this:

PER-MEL, Business (J) class, any seat award ticket (so called JASA fare):

Points spent: 45,500 each way (look for the specials) = 91,000 return
Points earned: 5,000 (assuming no status)
Taxes = 0$

Same fare in Dollars: $2,978

Same fare as a classic Reward: 72,000 QFF points + $55

In these example cases, the points redemption levels would be:

JASA = 91,000 - 5000 = 86,000 points. If the dollars cost of the same fare = $2,978, then $2,978 / 86000 = 3.4c / point

Classic J = (2978-55) / 72,000 = 4.1c / point

Interestingly, JASA flights on QF allow you to offset points spend against money, so, for example, you can reduce the required points for the JASA from 91,000 to 72,000 if you contribute $244 in cash this gives an outcome of:

JASA + pay = 2,978 - 244 = 2734 / 72,000 = 3.8c / point

Generally speaking, combinations of Y fares, whether they be classic or YASA (Y Any Seat Awards) tend to redeem at 1c/point or less.

However, there is a hidden trap in amongst all this. If you have no interest in flying J, or F for that matter, then there isn't a lot of point redeeming at high point/dollar rates using J/F examples. Points are only worth what they are worth to _you_ ... it doesn't matter what they are supposedly worth to me. If I were quite satisfied flying in Y class then I'd concentrate fully on extracting maximum value from Y redemptions - probably trying hard to squeeze 1c or more from a point ... and be happy with that. I'd have to adjust my strategy to suit - no high priced Credit Cards, I'd stick with the best earning cards I could obtain that were free or close to free. I'm thinking Woolies EDR CC and the Amex QF disco card (for example).

When I was referring to $500 flights that was based on jets tar flights

I know it's not fair comparing qantas planes and jet star planes but when i go to a city or country that has jet star fleets and even if I book using qantas points I get the jet star flights and jet star service (no food no tv no drinks no nothing)

Im willing to change programs to get a far better redemption

Fair enough. It sounds like you may be in a similar predicament as myself. I want to use QF internationally, but most of my current focus/interest is in SE Asia and the Pacific. QF has pretty much withdrawn completely from these areas leaving me with JQ optons ... bleah.

As we talk about this stuff its worth noting that MH should be joining OneWorld later this year ... lets not count our chickens before they hatch, but if it happens then realistic options for OW travel to SE Asia and the region more generally will open up.

In the immediate term however, I have started re-directing much of my QFF earn to DJ. Their domestic J class points redemption options are extremely competitive, like PER-MEL return for 13,800 points + about $400, and points can be used for international flights on DJ (short haul), VA, SQ, etc, a host of partners ... most of whom are not OneWorld members ...

Perhaps rethinking your QFF strategy would be more satisfying, at least in the short term? Get a VFF (Virgin Frequent Flyer) earning credit card and redeem against DJ flights?

I should have read this thread before getting my CBA diamond card. LOL.
Hats off to Moopere for his analysis of all this

Hi Guys
I just joined to day to fill you all in, as i found out today, its a hoax of a rippoff
i ordered a gold awards card Am-ex and MasterCard from the commonwealth bank with the intention of gaining QFF points.
i told this to the lady at the bank

i was told with my gold card i get 2 awards points per dollar on amex and 1point per dollar with MasterCard.

i didn't find out until reading the fine print and confirming with the bank that actually points do not equal points.

on a gold card $1 = 0.8 frequent flyer points and 0.4 for MasterCard, and even lower (half) if your using a silver card

see they use this tricky conversion factor where 2.5 awards points = 1 qantas point, and lower again for mastercard of 1 award point per dollar

so i will now be changing banks

so in summary $1 spent on gold AM-EX equals 0.8 Qantas points and half that if using MasterCard, and half those numbers if its a silver card.
nice of them not to explain that when i asked in the bank :( (no icons for extremely p!%%ed off)

yes, I will also admit its pretty dodgy

I have the diamond cards, and the amex is quite good at 1.5QFF per $1 spent, but the MC/Visa is terrible at 0.625 or .675 per $1 spent,

so I use a different card to get $1 per 1 Point ,

however, that card is closing down soon, and now im on the look out for a $1:1 QFF point with interest free period AND Fee free, which isnt very easy to find

marcusvr,

Good luck finding a user friendly CC that gives you a point per $$ spend. I mention user friendly as a few ie Woolworths CC does but people have had a few issues with it.

Be aware the Commbank Platinum and Diamond cards do give you a better ratio than what you quoted. IMHO the earn ratio could be better documented but it is hardly hidden either.

Good luck with your search and please let us know how you go.

I have the diamond cards, and the amex is quite good at 1.5QFF per $1 spent

I like this card.....fee free, ATO friendly and 1.5 where ever it's accepted:D

I still use my old faithful QF Ult Amex for the purchases that pay 3or2P/$

marcusvr,

Good luck finding a user friendly CC that gives you a point per $$ spend. I mention user friendly as a few ie Woolworths CC does but people have had a few issues with it.

Be aware the Commbank Platinum and Diamond cards do give you a better ratio than what you quoted. IMHO the earn ratio could be better documented but it is hardly hidden either.

Good luck with your search and please let us know how you go.
straitman, i am not paying $400 plus for a platinum credit card.

could you please expand on what issues people have had with a Woolworths card?
from the website;

• 1 point per $1 eligible purchases*
  • Earn an extra point for every $1 spent[SUP]^[/SUP] over $30 in one transaction at participating Woolworths Group stores
  • 1 extra point per $1 spent in Australia on selected Qantas products & services~
  • Uncapped points earning

i cant see much wrong with this

even the ANZ
  • 1 point per $1 of eligible spend* on ANZ Frequent Flyer American Express[SUP]®[/SUP] card (new accounts only)
  • 1 point per $2 of eligible spend* on ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa card (new accounts only)
  • Uncapped points earning (new accounts only)

• Total annual fee of $95[SUP]^[/SUP]
  • Two cards linked to one account
  • Earn bonus points at a range of bonus partner outlets
and westpac

• 1 point per $1 of eligible spend[SUP]*[/SUP] on Earth American Express[SUP]®[/SUP] Card
  • 0.5 points per $1 of eligible spend[SUP]*[/SUP] on Earth MasterCard[SUP]®[/SUP]
  • 1 extra point per $1 spent on selected Qantas products & services[SUP]~[/SUP] in Australia

• Annual Fee currently $75
  • Two cards linked to the one account

are better than the commonwealth cards

Last edited:
I've been thinking for a while that I should start a thread on interesting cards and their conversion to real FF points. So many times I see well intentioned threads starting with discoveries or queries relating to good earning cards only to have the intent lost by misunderstanding of how bank points scheme conversions usually work.

I'd not view the Westpac Earth card as particularly enticing. At 0.5P/$ for Master and best case 1P/$ on the Amex along with only 45d interest free, a 2500 point monthly cap and a yearly fee on 75$ its not the worst I've seen but far from the best. The ANZ card is much the same but a bit more expensive, still only offering 44d interest free though at least the points per month are not capped.

For mine, I'm living on the Amex Platinum Edge and Woolies EDR CC. At $89 + usually some bonus points the EDR CC is one of the best performing QFF cards out there, though there are challenges to deal with at their back end (poor service, clunky systems). The Amex Edge CC is a no brainer as well, worst case earn is 1p/1$ (Amex point), 55d interest free, costs $195 but includes a free VA return domestic flight every year. On petrol you'll get 2p/$ and on major supermarket spend 3p/$ ... Amex points transfer to various airlines like VA at 1:1, though not to QFF which may be important depending on your strategy.

I'm desperately looking for a good earning companion to my EDR because it sometimes stops working (see clunky systems and poor service above), but so far Mastercard/VISA offerings from every card I've looked into has come up very sad indeed. Theres no point even bothering with the 0.5p/1$ cards which proliferate out there imho.

Looking at overseas cards just makes me weep ... why we are offered such poor pickings over here is anyones guess.

It was unclear from the ABT article if the Velocity transfer rates were going to be downgraded for all cards (to 2.5:1). If so, the annual fee on my Diamond card will take alot of justifying.

It was unclear from the ABT article if the Velocity transfer rates were going to be downgraded for all cards (to 2.5:1). If so, the annual fee on my Diamond card will take alot of justifying.

Hi - I'm interested in this too - sounds like Diamond is unaffected, but it seems unconventional, that their system would have different transfer rate for just one card in their product line.
then I fear the Diamond card will see changes coming soon.

Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

Clarified.

Chris from AustBT just posted -
On November 1, the 'exchange rate' for converting CBA Awards points into Velocity points is affected
only for those holding Awards and Gold Awards cards, while the rate for Platinum and DIamond Awards cardholders remains at 2 Awards = 1 Velocity.

IMO, I think the Diamond awards will be changing soon too, as it seem abnormal for the bank to have only one product to be out of line with the transfer ratios.
So keep an eye out for the 30% Virgin Velocity bonus transfer deals, and move them out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back