CommBank CC "I'm going to cancel" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

awkwardpaws

Tried to look for an existing thread but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, I have a Platinum CommBank CC that I signed up to last year with the 40k QFF bonus and first year free.

Called up last week to cancel (renewal date turns out to be in July) due to high annual fee that I'll have to pay on renewal, so they offered me two things:

1. to convert me to a different CommBank CC that has no annual fee; or
2. offered 10k points (I assume 10k QFF since I have it on sweep to QFF) to keep me on my Platinum card until closer to July, and for me to give them a call closer to the renewal date to see what CBA can do for me.

I took the 10k (4-6 weeks to post apparently) - so I hope this post and a quick phone call to CBA can help some AFFers out!

Thanks for the heads up.
I'm thinking of cancelling both my diamond and platinum cards (the first held for ~5 years with a significant spend on it, the latter opened last year and spent very little on it).

Cancelling the diamond because of the change in earn ratio.

For the diamond, got offered 20k points (so 10k QFF points) and a move down to a platinum with a refund of the annual fee that was recently charged plus a waiver for the new card annual fee. I took this offer.

Will report back on the platinum.

I've Had a Diamond card for 4 years, called to cancel and was offered nothing.

Mrs Y called to cancel her Platinum CC after 5 months and was offered the same 10K (5K QFF) bonus to keep the card open.

Called CBA today to cancel Platinum as fee free year nearly at an end. Was offered an upgrade to diamond with no fee for first year. Seems reasonable in present climate.

Called up CommBank today to cancel my Platinum credit card (obtained through the 40,000 QF points and no annual fee in first year offer).

They offered me 4,000 points, downgrade to the Gold credit card, and waive the annual fee in first year - I accepted. Handy as I had already activated some travel insurance cover.

The operator also suggested they could offer something in relation to the 2nd year annual fee - but I would have to contact them next year.

Also called to cancel Diamond card, agreed on downgrade to Platinum in exchange for waived annual fee this year plus 20,000 bonus CBA points (8,000 Qantas points).

Given the Platinum earns a piddly 1:1 to Qantas on the AMEX I won't actually use this card, but happy to take some free points and a year of the opt-in travel insurance before cancelling next year. ;)

EDIT: As I won't be using it, maybe I should opt-out of QFF and manually sweep 20,600 across as 10.3k Velocity points, after spending a few hundred on the card...

Called up to cancel platinum card. Operator said that fee would be waived with a change of product. Couldn't get me the diamond offer, so converted my account to gold and gave me bonus 5k points.
Will see how it stacks up, but at fee free for another year, will likely retain it.

Called to cancel my Gold Awards card, was offered no points or annual fee waiver. Just offered a low fee card, $29 a year over $120. Considering this is just my backup card after AMEX's, not too concerned about it not being for rewards.

Cancelled my platinum card today and was offered nothing at all (which is fine).

I actually called up a couple of times to cancel in the last year (just a standard awards card, applied for the 40k bonus last year and was only sent the standard card). First time was given 10k to keep the card, it was still about four months until the annual fee was due so retained it for the bonus. About three months after that called to cancel again and was given another 10k to retain so accepted. Then two days before the annual fee was going to happen called up for a third time and this time went through with the cancellation without an offer of bonus, though they did say they could reduce the annual fee to just $9 if I held onto it for another year. Went ahead with the cancellation anyway, I have quite a few other cards that I actually use.

Yup, time to cancel my Platinum Card. Ever since the reduced earn rate for QFF the annual fee will just eat up too much of my points value.
I'll be telling them I might as well get my card direct through AMEX for better earn rate/rewards for the annual fee.
Will be interesting to see if anything gets offered or not, based on the other experiences posted here...

My annual fee was due again, so was time to call up... rather than cancel now, CBA offered me a $200 refund on the annual fee while I shopped around in the coming year to see what the card landscape was like. They were pretty forthright with that, and suggested I call back in 12 months to discuss again. I accepted given the card's no-minimum-spend travel insurance (its only distinguishing feature) is still worth something to me. All took less than 5 minutes!

So Dec card received.
Now so I don't get charged annual fee..... Cancel now in NOV?
Pay outstanding balance and close right.

I called up yesterday to cancel my Platinum Card which I get for free via the wealth package.
I have had a CC with comm-bank for about 7 years.
The Service desk person just asked the usual questions, I said I am cancelling all my Credit cards to get a clean slate (just spinning BS)
The only offer was to go onto a low cost card, which I rejected.
No offer of any extra points, and cause I don't pay a fee, they couldn't do anything about refunding my annual fee
IN the end, less than 5 mins and fairly painless..

Wonder if I will get letters in the mail over the next few months offering me a New Credit card, it would have to be good, cause it seems like Commbank have a poor conversion rate to Qantas (as well as asking for $30 to link it) and I can't see any reason why I wouuld take one up (unless they offer a heap of sign on bonus points)

∆ you don't spend enough and your not black/DIAMOND.... Not to mention your home loan aint big enough..... Think of it that way... That's the reality.... Oh and are you paying for the wealth package? Cause that is your credit card fee..... Last I heard wealth package should include DIAMOND card so you have been had by CBA!

So finally got around to calling up to cancel today, I said the points earn (on Platinum) with the annual fee was not competitive to their major competitors at the moment.
They weren't sure if I wanted to cancel or wanted a better deal. I thought I made it clear I was "persuadable" without being too mercenary about it :confused:
Then passed me on to retention team member who straight away waived annual fee :cool:

QFF Annual fee free points promo card.
Cancelled Plat day today...offered points(did not ask how many)
Asked for another Annual fee free.
"We don't have any cards annual fee free"
Retention team cancelled card and said 3 days to process?
Next statement will show closed card.
Got Ref number.
On reflection....I'm more of a Diamond card guy ;)

here is my story

been a cba diamond card for about 10 years now ( or whatver it used to be)

first year I might have got it for free,
been pyain the annual fee of $250 every year until this year,
average $7k per month

I threatrened to cancel today and they waived the fee

how is everyone going with threatening to cancel every year?

I dont need ithis car ever since I got my amex and other visa, but I do like the huge limit I have,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back