Closing an AMEX with negative MR balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

edy4eva

After some major refunds to my AMEX, and having already transferred the points into FF programs, I sit on a pretty big negative MR balance (Plat Reserve through industry body). Been with them for well over a decade. I am thinking of closing it off, then reapplying for a different product altogether (perhaps a product with Ascent?). I am unsure if by that I could get rid of that hole, or will they reapply that negative balance?

I read somewhere that once an account is closed the points balance is forfeited, hence my evil little plan (but in all honesty was unplanned).
Thanks

you might get lucky and have someone lazy who doesnt check your MR balance during the closure, though if it's substantial i'm sure they'd pick it up in an audit later

likely when you reapplied they'd relink to your previous MR account also

Thanks. I won't risk it then, that surprise bill could easily be few thousand dollars going by the current rate. I'll just keep the account as is and hopefully in about a year's time will come back into green.

Thanks. I won't risk it then, that surprise bill could easily be few thousand dollars going by the current rate. I'll just keep the account as is and hopefully in about a year's time will come back into green.

I've done it and had no issues. Negative balance went away and new account started fresh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back