Citi Select (post March 2013) - ? worth $700 annual fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

legroom

Established Member
Friends

We all know what happened since early March at Citibank regarding our favourite method of payment to a certain public organisation.

Is it now time to reassess the worth of this card on its own merits (minus the above) to see if it is worth $700 p.a.?

1) Free hotel stay

Worth $300-400 easily

I got one Paris 4 1/2* room last year for free

2) Priority Pass

To me, it is un-used.

3) SQ Krisflyer

1.33 domestic / 3.33 international per $

Attractive as it is a VISA card so it comes with widespread acceptance.

4) Insurance

Ho-hum there

Personally, I'd be happy with a fee of $200-300 p.a.

But then, as I would be able to use the free hotel stay annually, that works out OK (effective annual fee of $300).

I am yet to try the PMG but I believe that is also a plus as well.

What's your view there in the revised post-March 2013 environment, regarding the $700 annual fee?

Regards,

Understand from other threads holders have had trouble booking rooms when the hotels are charging over a $200 rate for the shoebox Sydney Hilton. There were also recent rumours about the Kris rate. Beginning of the end for me.
This has thankfully happened at the same time NAB has freed up it's Choice Package exposure to all cards (Amex 1.5:1 VA or QF) and packaging business cards at low rates (ie QF uncapped $1.5 : 1 for $72pa).

I'm seeing trouble in getting value from the card in the next year. Can't seem to book a room in Aus for more than around $200 as DaveB says. Used the lounge access a couple of times. But for me the attraction was the o/s spend with sign on bonus, rather than any other reason. No use of the other "services". So if this year doesn't eventuate into big $$ spend O/S I will be cutting it up in a little while. Agree that at if it was around $200-300 it is worth a look at. It's exxy for what it is offering...

If you had not noticed you had missed something, then it is probable you had not used the card for that purpose.

Try this: what's the most viewed thread in the General Credit Cards forum ?

Have never tried the hotel deal idea so maybe I will try it this year.

Select still a no brainer IMHO - 1.33pts / $1 for KF still fabulous earn rate - and 3.33 o/s cream on cake - I will definitely be keeping it.

Select still a no brainer IMHO - 1.33pts / $1 for KF still fabulous earn rate - and 3.33 o/s cream on cake - I will definitely be keeping it.

Westpac KrisFlyer/Black 1.5:1 earn rate (AMEX) at lower annual fee ($250 / $395) than Select.

The 3.33:1 for overseas spend is quite attractive for Select, I'd agree in a flash.

True, AMEX is not as popular as Select Visa but I am not sure if it justifies the $700 annual price tag (post March 2013) esp. if the free hotel were to have a price cap on it (not when I used it in 2012).

I will keep tab on how often the AMEX gets surcharged / declined with my spending pattern and will decide from there.

The death knell for me will be any downgrade on SQ to match QF & CX. Have to think it is only a matter of time though they may be happy seeing their J & F full with so many on Oz points.
I had been lazy using my Select for everything giving up the extra available on Amex. This will now change and will start to wean myself off the card.
Other than the big boy or duopoly suppliers, I refuse to use anyone who charges the use of a Visa/MC. Surprised how most now wave their fees of up to 1.65% and no one has taken up my offer to reduce the 30 day account to 7 or 14 days.
Wherever no fees are involved, started using my NAB Amex, part of my home package for 1.5:$1 and also Woolies 1:$1 as my QF pool slipped below a million points. Will get one of the HSBC cards, either QF Platinum for $199 & 300K points or the uncapped Premier card and move some banking over with it.

Have never tried the hotel deal idea so maybe I will try it this year.

I thought the free hotel stay was being removed as a benefit from March 31.
Rooms are booked through Octopus travel, which is closing down.

If you had not noticed you had missed something, then it is probable you had not used the card for that purpose.

Try this: what's the most viewed thread in the General Credit Cards forum ?

I don't normally look through the General Credit Cards forum, and hence was out of the loop re this.
I certainly do use the card for that purpose, just not over the past month.
Such a pity... as the Select card was my go to card for just about everything.
Time for a re-think.

I don't normally look through the General Credit Cards forum, and hence was out of the loop re this.
I certainly do use the card for that purpose, just not over the past month.
Such a pity... as the Select card was my go to card for just about everything.
Time for a re-think.

I am glad my post was of some assistance to at least one AFFer.

Otherwise, your BAS may go up in vapour like someone here we all know of (and have regards to).

That's the main aim of this little thread: pause and have a little reflection.

Last time I called Pin Point Travel for my free (Paris) hotel room.

Never heard of Octopus Travel.

What's your source for this info that the free hotel deal has been 'enhanced' away?

If true, .... well.... It's more interesting

Looks like you have until Wednesday to do a Price Match. After that who knows.

The main purpose of my call to pinpoint last week was to enquire re the complimentary hotel room as we want to use it on an upcoming round the world trip. I decided to call as all the hotels listed on the citi website show availability up until March 31st only. The pinpoint operator said something along the lines of

"the contract with the current provider is ending and there will be a new provider. Ignore the dates shown. All of the hotels listed on the website are still current, you just have to call or email us to check on availability for your chosen dates."

I checked on one of the Hong Kong hotels and also the Hilton Sydney for an upcoming Saturday night in April (Hilton website is showing around $400 for that room), and the pinpoint operator checked and said both rooms were available for redemption of the complimentary hotel room offer. He gave me an email address and told me to email him with any other room enquiries so that I didn't have to wait in the phone queue. I tried this the next day and he responded with an answer on room availability within 24 hours. I was pretty happy with the service level provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back