Changes afoot at Alaska Airlines [joins Oneworld] | Page 3 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Changes afoot at Alaska Airlines [joins Oneworld]

justinbrett

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Well QF had considered BNE-SEA but chose ORD instead. Maybe this may change things, or AA will fly it.
We’ll see SYD-SEA before BNE-SEA. And we won’t see AA flying it any time soon. They aren’t even flying from their main hub (DFW) yet - let alone a partner hub. I’m actually tipping the next AA flight to be to MEL. Probably DFW-MEL if I were a betting man. SYD-SEA might be the death of seasonal SYD-YVR.

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
OMaaT points out some possible downsides to AS joining OneWorld (for Milage Plan members):

Here’s my huge concern. Alaska has some of the best mileage redemption rates in the industry, though they also take an unconventional approach to award pricing.

They have a different award chart for every partner airline, and you can’t mix airlines on an award. In theory I suspect we’ll see them eventually come up with an award chart for all on all oneworld airlines (where you can mix partners), but I almost certainly think this won’t be good news:

I can’t imagine they’ll continue to allow stopovers on one-way awards
I can’t imagine they’ll maintain the same good prices they currently have
I hope I’m wrong, but I’m quite worried about this…

Limewood

Established Member
I'm wondering if buying AS miles again at bonus time (30/40% extra) will be more beneficial once they join OneWorld?
I used to use AS miles CNS/HKG/CNS in J when CX did that route, normal price $5k, the points cost me around $1750 plus a hundred or so in fees.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beryl Towney