Centurion Invite 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesellife

I received the Centurion invitation today in the mail...
A bit tempted but still not sure whether I should take it or not.

Could anyone please post some "special" promotions for Centurion in 2010, so I could better a wiser decision?! Thanks in advance.

E.g. Hotel free night etc...

Unfortunately Centurion promotions or 'freebies' are very rare in Australia due to very little or no competition. That being said, the views here vary wildly, so take each view with a grain of salt.

If you're already a Platinum then consider the differences and if they're worth it to you.

I am a new member to frequent flyer so couldn't PM you otherwise I would have with this....

I have been an AMEX Platinum member since 2007. I am trying to build my profile up to the Centurion, but as yet have not had an invite :(

I understand if you don't want to reply, but was wondering what sort of loyalty and annual spend you have shown AMEX to get the invite. I have been putting $100 - $150k per year through of personal expenses, flights etc... so wondering how much more I would have to do! Would you be able to let me know your experience.

From the outside the platinum events and centurion events seem pretty similar however the travel perks for centurion seem to be far superior.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the card if you go for it:!:

3eef

Last edited:
Unfortunately Centurion promotions or 'freebies' are very rare in Australia due to very little or no competition. That being said, the views here vary wildly, so take each view with a grain of salt.

If you're already a Platinum then consider the differences and if they're worth it to you.

They are not that rare if you actually hold the card, fortunately one such cardholder did place details on AFF of a recent promo regarding free nights at Hyatt:

http://www.australianfrequentflyer....ds/centurion-free-night-park-hyatt-26439.html

I have been an AMEX Platinum member since 2007. I am trying to build my profile up to the Centurion, but as yet have not had an invite :(

I understand if you don't want to reply, but was wondering what sort of loyalty and annual spend you have shown AMEX to get the invite. I have been putting $100 - $150k per year through of personal expenses, flights etc... so wondering how much more I would have to do! Would you be able to let me know your experience.

I actually had an invite last year some time - only $90K of expenditure but I think it is the nature of the expenditure - mine was all personal stuff - very little travel or "expenses" including lots from the apple store, tiffany, david jones etc. including lots of stuff overseas (not hotels) - I think that might be a factor - lots of discretionary spend of a high "value"....

I too received my Centurion Invite in the mail today, lovely little black package, beats the Qantas Amex Ultimate Card they offered me the week before, my spend has been about 70 - 100k per year for a long time, well used on overseas holidays and to book flights and travel as well as personal spending. Nice offer but I think I might stay with my Platinum card for the price of the upgrade, already QFF and HHonors Gold, the offer of a Titanium card, whilst lovely will probably send the local lad at the Coles supermarket publically checking his fraud list for my number like when my Platinum one came out years ago, he was very sus of me and said i've seen green ones and gold ones but not a silver one as he looked me up and down, he dinged for his supervisor to come check it out, she said its not silver, its platinum and its perfectly ok, much to the joy of the 5 people waiting in line behind me at the time :oops:

Congratz on the invitation, hgwells01...my personal spending isn't really that high too, charged about 120k in 2010. But I think I got the invite because of the constant 3k dinner bills & monthly overseas travel expenditures.

Anyway, I accepted it last week and I am challenging myself to utilise the benefit to the max. I did some basic calculations and believe the benefit could be a little more than the annual fee (Provided my card arrive on time for me to book the free Hyatt)

Another unpublished benifit is the Hilton Honours is Diamond not Gold. At least this was the case for the Main and Supplementary card holder this year.

However I do believe the $4300 represents extremely marginal value for the service which the Australian card offers. The service centre is same as platinum and they just pick up the phone differently! I have had many issues with the Travel and Concierge team and don't use them much now.

The booklet that I received has updated content.
It shows HH Diamond now.

Also did some digging on flyertalk and someone mentioned CX Diamond may come with the Cent?! (anyone heard anything about it?)

Hi guys

Accepted Centurion in September after 14 months on Platinum. approx 100k spend in 09/10 primarily on 'high end' fashion brands and some hotels / asiapac travel. Obviously easiest way is also put all the groceries / restaurant bills / fuel etc etc onto it too - I just slapped everything onto AMEX.

HHonors Diamond is nice but I personally prefer Hyatt more.:cool:

Used Park Hyatt benefit already in Sydney last week. Free night + FHR benefits so I got a free room, a free room upgrade with opera house view, free breakfast, free bottle of wine, and late checkout.

Also booked a BNE-HKG-SFO-LAX-HKG-BNE trip recently and it was about $1100 cheaper than online or at another travel agent I was asking.

Yet to use Mandarin Oriental free night but hopefully I can use it soon!

Qantas Club/Priority Club Platinum/HHonors Diamond is nice especially for someone like me who only travels occasionally for business/pleasure.

I have phoned concierge desk asked about CX Diamond - no response yet.

I find Centurion Concierge to be worse than Platinum Concierge - they are not as responsive after hours which is VERY annoying. The mystique behind 'magical restaurant bookings' is false as is exclusive 'can do almost anything' suggestions, and there is no airline privileges at all compared to US counterparts.:evil:

All said though, i've almost managed to recoup the annual fee in savings made already using the benefits from the card. Some more freebies would be nice though... heard US members got a camera as christmas present a few years ago!!!:shock:

Also did some digging on flyertalk and someone mentioned CX Diamond may come with the Cent?! (anyone heard anything about it?)

If it did surely that would be localised to HK-based Centurion members, but I’m not sure. The only HK-based Centurion I know earned CX Diamond Invitational on his own.

interesting. I would not spend the $, but find it interesting as to how the offer is targeted. I put through around $150k per year on my amex (and it's my secondary card) and I've never heard from them.

If it did surely that would be localised to HK-based Centurion members, but I’m not sure. The only HK-based Centurion I know earned CX Diamond Invitational on his own.

HK one does not come with CX diamond (at least for now), as a matter of fact, HK does not currently have any elite airline status with the centurion package.

Someone in Flyertalk mentioned the TW Cent is/may going to get it and may extend to worldwide (except HK).

One would assume HK is the last place in the list for CX to fork out diamond, given the majority of HKees would choose to fly with CX anyway.

Had a chat with the CTS today and the operator advised me that she has also heard about the new CX benefit but nothing formal has been released yet.

She claims that the benefit is likely to come into effect sometime next year and we will be notified once it is confirmed.

If the CX diamond rumour benefit is true, I will definitely continue to keep the centurion card and move all my flying activities to CX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back