ChrisMars

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Hi members

I have a question for the hardcore churner here:

What happens if / when you get reimbursed a purchase after you closed your CC account you used for the purchase?
i.e. a hotel booking you cancel, or maybe a product you bought but had issues and you ask for a refund etc...
Note that I am not asking this in relation to meeting the minimum spend requirement to trigger the bonus points, that's another issue.

Also, I guess that if you purchase something with a CC that offers extended warranty, you loose the warranty when you close the account?

Thanks for the insights!

Yes, all of the above could be a problem, and you need to design around it. I would much more readily put utilities and groceries on a new card to meet the min spend than to make a large purchase, but that's just me.

Hi members

I have a question for the hardcore churner here:

What happens if / when you get reimbursed a purchase after you closed your CC account you used for the purchase?
i.e. a hotel booking you cancel, or maybe a product you bought but had issues and you ask for a refund etc...
Note that I am not asking this in relation to meeting the minimum spend requirement to trigger the bonus points, that's another issue.
This has happened to me plenty of times. Contact the merchant preemptively and let them know the card has been cancelled. Some have asked for evidence of this. Then the merchant will refund via a different method. E.g. to your savings account.

I’ve had refunds to long ago cancelled cards and the bank has issued refund. Just needed to call bank and request it.

Reactions: jch
I unexpectedly received a statement in the mail for a long ago closed NAB CC. It was for an AA refund for a cancelled award flight. I took it to the local branch and they paid it in cash. Ever since, I receive monthly emails that I have new statements! I rang them about it, but they don’t seem to be able to stop it.

They don't overly like it (suspicion of fraud blah blah) but they can't refuse to refund you!

credit card accounts are kept open for a long time after you have canceled it for such reasons, so dont worry about it. If the refund from the merchant bounces, they will be in contact

as for other insurance/warranty benefits, you lose the lot on the day you cancel the account.

I had this happen recently from a long forgotten about investigation when I was charged twice. It took them 11 months to do their investigation by then the account was long gone yet they told me they had credited the account. I had to ring them up and they sent a bank cheque in the end. I found it amusing.

STGCC.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back