CBA Bali ATM

mandja

Heading to Bali in August.
I know that there are CBA ATMs there.
Anyone here know what exchange rate is given at these ATMs?

I'd prefer to not take IDR with me.
In the past I've take AUD and exchanged in Bali but considering doing that as well as getting at CBA ATM - good idea?

What do you do for money (other than use Credit cards there)?
I do have 28Degree card

There won’t be CBA ATMs, but there will be ones on the network that CBA uses - Mastercard Cirrus.

You’ll get both a bad exchange rate and pay a hefty fee for this withdrawal, so I suggest you do it only once. I don’t know which would be more expensive, using an ATM withdrawal with a CBA card or changing FX in Bali. But only do the one if you can help it.

A Citi debit card is the way to go for fee free ATM withdrawals around the world. also has a good exchange rate. There are others such as BankWest but I happen to use Citi. You may not have time to get one of these cards before you go in August though.

"Does CommBank have ATMs in Bali?
Commonwealth Bank does have ATMs in Bali, although they are a separate, locally operated subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank in Australia."

Ive seen loads of them in Legian , Kuta and Seminyak.

I do have 28Degree card
Use 28° wherever you can! Or a few free debit card if you have one: UBank, ING, Citi and many others.
You’ll get both a bad exchange rate and pay a hefty fee for this withdrawal, so I suggest you do it only once. I don’t know which would be more expensive, using an ATM withdrawal with a CBA card or changing FX in Bali. But only do the one if you can help it.
The exchange rate should be fine at a “bank” ATM. But it does depend on your own bank what if any int tx fee and OS ATM fee they charge (on top of any fee the ATM charges). Again, UBank, ING, Citi and others will work.
A Citi debit card is the way to go for fee free ATM withdrawals around the world. also has a good exchange rate.
Citi now closed to new applicants…

UBank would be quick to apply and probably get the debit card before travelling.

Indeed! We used a CBA machine at a convenience store in Kuta!

The exchange rate was the prevailing mastercard rate determined by Citibank, the card we used. No fees or charges were levied on that card.

Overall we were happy with it.

Citi now closed to new applicants…

I missed that. Any wider implications known?

Indeed! We used a CBA machine at a convenience store in Kuta!

The exchange rate was the prevailing mastercard rate determined by Citibank, the card we used. No fees or charges were levied on that card.

I was going to caveat my comment that it was my experience some years ago, in Canada and one country in central Europe where I had to use my CBA card - and both the rate and the fee were rank. May have been the particular (old) card product. But using a bank ATM card overseas is generally a bad idea.

I missed that. Any wider implications known?
Probably will be enhanced into NAB products in due course…
I was going to caveat my comment that it was my experience some years ago, in Canada and one country in central Europe where I had to use my CBA card - and both the rate and the fee were rank. May have been the particular (old) card product. But using a bank ATM card overseas is generally a bad idea.
No, plenty of Oz banks have debit cards that are as good as Citi for spot rate/daily rate and 0% Int tx fee. You just have to contend with ATM fees as applicable.

ING, UBank and Bankwest are all good.

My CBA relationship manager has advised this on the subject - "international transaction fee to remove cash from an ATM using a debit card is $5 plus 3% of the transaction value. The rate of exchange will depend on the day the funds are being withdrawn.
To save on some fees you can choose to get a travel money card"
So, no help there

WISE debit card has 40 currencies including INR.
You can order a card on-line (issued in Oz) and it is usually delivered within about 5 days if Aust Post do not get in the way. It now has a AUD10 initial issue fee (previously free). They also have virtual cards that I have not tried.
Fee free ATM withdrawals have a limit after which there is a small fee. See their site Wise.com
They use mid-market rates that you can watch live on the Xe app. You can buy individual currencies or load AUD and they do a conversion for each transaction at the mid-market rate applicable at the time of the transaction.
I have not had an issue with them in the 4 years I have been using them. They are a UK based company.

My CBA relationship manager has advised this on the subject - "international transaction fee to remove cash from an ATM using a debit card is $5 plus 3% of the transaction value. The rate of exchange will depend on the day the funds are being withdrawn.
To save on some fees you can choose to get a travel money card"
So, no help there
That’s pretty standard from the major banks and their Travel Money cards are a rort. They still get their 3% at the time of conversion.

ING charges $5 per OS ATM but rebates up to 5 per month if you meet the monthly requirements. UBank is free, simpler and easy to transfer cash instantly between your CBA account.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back