Cathay to cut worldwide capacity by 30% [Now 96%]

Chicken

Established Member
I suppose I'm just curious how busy/full the flight is. I may have to fly up soon - hotel availability willing.
Warning: advertisement below

I actually used QF classic award to claim that seat on CX metal. Award seat availability via QF wasn't good at that stage, but then again, CX wasn't flying SYD > HKG daily, and having said that, I did find a seat using Award Flight Assist, so 🤷‍♂️

My father said that the J cabin was only about 1/3 full.

Oh, I remember there was a person in front of us in SYD check in, I heard that person was boarding our flight to Bangkak. Flying CX to BKK. So brave

focusedbear

Intern
Virgin
Gold
Thanks for the feedback (and advertisement). Just wondering if I fly Y and hope I get a row to myself.

It seems to be a cough shoot as to whether the route is suspended/a flight is found/a hotel room can be booked. Though not in that order.

Chicken

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback (and advertisement). Just wondering if I fly Y and hope I get a row to myself.

It seems to be a cough shoot as to whether the route is suspended/a flight is found/a hotel room can be booked. Though not in that order.
- There is hardly any suspension by the government now (I don't know if you have signed up to any Facebook group for travelling to Hong Kong).
- I searched CX direct SYD > HKG on their web site just now, there are seats daily, you can even fly out tomorrow night, or even tonight if you want, Y seats are all around the AUD $1500 mark, with business around $2200 mark.
- Hotels are not that hard to book if you book 1 month in advance (his quarantine hotel was booked on 10/5 for landing on 9/6, so let's say one month in advance)
So you should not have any problem with flying to Hong Kong from Australia.

focusedbear

Intern
Virgin
Gold
That's great. Sounds like I have to allow myself a month to line things up.

I know about the HK Hotel Quarantine Support Group on Facebook but I'm a rare breed that doesn't use it. I'll have to set up a phantom account to participate

Chicken

Established Member
That's great. Sounds like I have to allow myself a month to line things up.

I know about the HK Hotel Quarantine Support Group on Facebook but I'm a rare breed that doesn't use it. I'll have to set up a phantom account to participate
I have given you the link to track flight bans, so that front is not much of an issue anymore.

The most useful thing with Facebook group is to check the feedbacks on hotels. There is a bunch of hotels within a major large chain where people have been asked to provide copies of their credit cards, then people started getting fraudulent charges. There are also hotels which are not the cheapest hotels but the meals they provided were so disguesting that people ended up ordering Uber for every meal. You would want to use Facebook to avoid those hotels. Oh, then there are hotels which refuse to change date or refund when your flight gets cancelled while others do unconditionally, completely going back on their words (whether in T&C or written promises via e-mail). The hotel is the dodgiest part.

Sponsored Post

This is an example of a Sponsored Post, one of the many ways you can advertise on the Australian Frequent Flyer.

Other options include banner advertisements on our content and forum pages or our newsletter. You can also purchase an audio message on our podcast - or if you just want to try it out, you can sponsor a thread.

If you'd prefer not to see any advertisements (including these sponsored posts), you can become an AFF Supporter from just $6 and instantly remove all advertisements from our website!

tomlee1986

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flight suspensions have been, well, suspended...

suspended until "further notice"

(Official release - but in Chinese only)

MJHoops

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
I found this article interesting on the financial prospects of CX. Not as dire as I had thought.

I’ve been checking CX178 every few days, and while it does not fly much, it seems to fly on time every time! I can see last 4 flights on FR24

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts