Cards that allow points transfer to SPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Febs

Established Member
Hi guys,

I think I already know the answer, but anyway...

I've been making heavy use of the current "1000 AMEX MR points = 600 SPG points" promo on at the moment (both by laundering into HHonors, and leaving some in SPG) and because of this, I've started using my corporate Amex (with Ascent) for all personal purchases, and neglecting my Qantas Amex.

I'm considering replacing the QF Amex with something that gives me a wider choice of redemption options...particularly SPG and Hhonors. Are there any Aussie cards out there that allow transfer to SPG, apart from the Amex offerings (Gold Rewards Maximiser, Platinum, etc...)?

To make matters trickier, I'd like something that still allows the option of transferring to QFF too..which I realise is becoming more and more difficult as Qantas seem to be doing away with this in favour of direct-sweep cards. With AMEX, I could link the new card to my existing (Corporate) Ascent account, and keep the QFF option...but I'm wondering what else is out there.

Cheers,
- Febs.

PS: While I'm here, has anyone had any experience with having an annual fee refunded, then using that credit towards a different card? Basically, I had my $195 QF Amex fee credited 2 months ago, and the $195 charge hasn't hit my card yet (it will this month). I'd consider switching to Platinum, but would like to use that $195 towards the $395 Plat fee. i.e. I don't want to get stung with the $195, then $395. Amex assure me I won't...but I'm not so sure.

Diners Club. Transfer points to SPG at 2:1 and as far as I am aware still able to transfer points to QF.

Yes I was referring to Diners --> Qantas.

Qantas appears to be burning a few bridges at present....

They do seem to have decided on a different strategic approach to the program and how they deal with partners. It could work well for them or it may blow up in their face. Time will tell, but does seem to be a fairly unique approach in airline FF programs..

They do seem to have decided on a different strategic approach to the program and how they deal with partners. It could work well for them or it may blow up in their face. Time will tell, but does seem to be a fairly unique approach in airline FF programs..
I guess the uniqueness reflects somewhat on the almost stranglehold they have on the Oz market with this sort of thing.

I don't believe they consider DJ to be a threat in this regard. They may be wrong.

Things are changing, note the comment's by Luisa from American Express in August re how only a year or two ago >95% (IIRC) of Amex MR points were converted by the member to QFF points; now that has changed as people seem to be seeing greater value elsewhere.

When one can get often better award redemption value by using an MR point via AA for the same flight, I guess that's on the way to proving this greater value point.

Looking back at all this I guess that there's many in Oz who are not as enlightened and/or informed about rewards programs as we on FT/AFF and similar fora.

It may actually work out to be a smart move but we won't know for a while.

Even before I found AFF, and even FT, I was getting curious about reward programs and switched from Choices to Ascent simply because it gave me more reward options like airline partners. People will look around and they will continue to find better ways to accumulate FF points and use these points wisely. In my opinion QF is going to lose out by limiting the number of reward program partner choices....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back