card details compromised

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepakabc

Intern
Yesterday I got call from citibank and they told me my card details has been compromised and I asked how did they know. They told me visa international notify them and they want to block my card and issue a new one...

any comments.... ?

have had that happen twice with citibank in the last 12 months - wasnt actually given an option of not cancelling - more courtesy call to let me know they would be cancelling and reissuing...annoying if you know your cc number by heart...not any more...

Have had the same call from Citibank in the past.
Suspect mine was compromised whilst in Thailand.
Citibank are unwilling or unable to give details, maybe for security reasons.
Had the new card within a few days.
All of my transactions, plus points were automatically transferred to the new card.
A minor hassle, but prefer they pick it up, rather than me finding lots of incorrect transactions on my account.

It happened to me once - not fraud* - just they cancelled and re-issued. I had used the card once in an ATM in Bangkok

I think they do it as a safety measure - they'll tell you your card has been compromised, but in reality it's simply because you employed it in a region they are suspicious of.

* they told me it had been compromised, I did not notice any fraudulent transactions.

Wizard freaked out last year because I used my card 5 times in one day in Melbourne. I don't use it that often and am rarely in Melbourne. Wizard phoned and spent ages id-ing me then asking about all the transactions. Glad they were looking out for me but it was annoying.

Am tempted to use it here in the Solomons just to see if they react.......

Karen

I have had this happen twice with citibank-first time was at a french restaurant in Manhattan-I had only used it once and twice it was used for gas in brooklyn before obviously going for a larger amount.The second time was when I paid over internet for Trenitalia and Venice museum tickets.
On this last trip my Diners was compromised in Thailand-I only used it twice,first at SGS bangkok where checkin was done in room and my card did not leave my sight,the second at LM Khao Lak where they take your card from you.I have informed Starwood customer service but no reply as yet.

Yesterday I got call from citibank and they told me my card details has been compromised and I asked how did they know. They told me visa international notify them and they want to block my card and issue a new one...

any comments.... ?

First - how do you know it was actually citibank that called? Did they ask you for personal information to confirm who you were?
I would call citibank back on the number you normally use and ask to be put through to their fraud department to sort it out.

Wizard phoned and spent ages id-ing me then asking about all the transactions. Glad they were looking out for me but it was annoying.

I agree with Simongr.

How did you find out it was Wizard? How do you know it wasn't me calling numbers randomly until I found a Wizard cardholder, and now I know your mother's maiden name, date of birth, and card number?

... On this last trip my Diners was compromised in Thailand-I only used it twice ...
How do you know it was compromised? Were there any "extra transactions", or did Citibank simply contact you - and tell you this?

As I have posted, Citibank seem to have this philosophy there merely using their products in Thailand "Compomises" them. :-|

How do you know it was compromised? Were there any "extra transactions", or did Citibank simply contact you - and tell you this?

As I have posted, Citibank seem to have this philosophy there merely using their products in Thailand "Compomises" them. :-|
Well first of all it was a Diners Card-yes owned by Citibank but different.This was the first time in ~ 20 years this has happened with DC and it is used in Thailand once or twice every year.As well I also used my Citibank card in Thailand on this trip and have had no call that it was compromised.

"WillRe: card details compromised
Quote:
Originally Posted by karens
Wizard phoned and spent ages id-ing me then asking about all the transactions. Glad they were looking out for me but it was annoying.

I agree with Simongr.

How did you find out it was Wizard? How do you know it wasn't me calling numbers randomly until I found a Wizard cardholder, and now I know your mother's maiden name, date of birth, and card number?"

Also with citibank and diners when i have been rung there is no mention of card numbers and I am not asked to give it.I am asked for the last 2-3 transactions on the card then the postal address for the bill.I am not giving away great swathes of personal info.Also why would someone who has compromised your card first have your phone number and second want to notify you?

Last edited:
Well first of all it was a Diners Card-yes owned by Citibank but different.This was the first time in ~ 20 years this has happened with DC and it is used in Thailand once or twice every year.As well I also used my Citibank card in Thailand on this trip and have had no call that it was compromised.

Not sure how different they are now. Last year they had planned to close Diner's Melbourne office and integrate the operation into the Citibank credit card team. So the policies may now be the same.

Also with citibank and diners when i have been rung there is no mention of card numbers and I am not asked to give it.I am asked for the last 2-3 transactions on the card then the postal address for the bill.I am not giving away great swathes of personal info.Also why would someone who has compromised your card first have your phone number and second want to notify you?

Was my experience as well. Just some basic questions about identity (my postal address) and whether I had made an online transaction in the last five minutes :shock:

I always end up having a (friendly) argument with Citibank when they call me.

Citibank: "Hello sir it is so and so from Citibank, calling regarding fraudulent activity on your card. Could you please confirm for me your name, DOB, address etc.."
Me (after uncontrollable fits of laughter): "Umm, no. You call me out of the blue, and ask me to give over my personal details?"
Citibank: "Yes sir, how else do we know it's you?"
Me (after more uncontrollable fits of laugher): "I'll call you back champ."

Never ceases to amaze me how Citibank employees think "That's our process, it's perfect and there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with it." :rolleyes:

Back to the main topic of the thread - one reason they think your card could have been "compromised" is if it's been used at a store/restaurant with a high instance of card fraud.

Cheers,
- Febs.

Never ceases to amaze me how Citibank employees think "That's our process, it's perfect and there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with it." :rolleyes:
It's not unique to Citibank. Had a similar call from someone claiming to be from Telstra last week. When I questioned the unsolicited call seeking my personal details they hung up :rolleyes:.

I always end up having a (friendly) argument with Citibank when they call me.

Citibank: "Hello sir it is so and so from Citibank, calling regarding fraudulent activity on your card. Could you please confirm for me your name, DOB, address etc.."
Me (after uncontrollable fits of laughter): "Umm, no. You call me out of the blue, and ask me to give over my personal details?"
Citibank: "Yes sir, how else do we know it's you?"
Me (after more uncontrollable fits of laugher): "I'll call you back champ."

Pretty much the American Express model as well (when they do bother to call, rather than just put notes in your file saying they had called, but really hadn't)

How did you find out it was Wizard? How do you know it wasn't me calling numbers randomly until I found a Wizard cardholder, and now I know your mother's maiden name, date of birth, and card number?

Good point Will. They phoned home while I was still in Melbourne. I phoned them from work and cracked it with them and hung up then they rang straight back to my mobile.

Karen

I wouldnt be giving my details out to a caller - Simply thank them and ask to call them back.

I was asked to give out my drivers license number and date of birth to a police officer who called my home one evening. I was witness to a car accident apparently. I refused this request and said that I would attend the police station in person and provide the information. He got angry and said that I was obstructing a police investigation. Once again, I refused and got his name and location and said that I would go in person. When I arrived at the police station - there was no one there by the name that was given, and no car accident in Surry Hills on the day that was mentioned.

Later that week I had a call from Amex asking me if I had received my replacement card as it had been used and not activated. Needless to say, the card hadn't arrived - The "police officer" was trying to activate it with my Date of birth and Drivers Licence - Creative heh?

It turns out that someone had been stealing mail from the letterboxes of the apartment block that I was living in at the time - They had a copy of the master key.

Lesson - NEVER Give out your personal details to a caller. ALWAYS call them back.

Interesting... My partner just received a call today from citibank about this. Will have to ask her what type of details she handed over. The account is in her name and I'm the additional card holder. She said my card is fine while her card will be cancelled and replaced in 2-3 days. She said it was a courtesy call in case we had any direct debits that needs to be updated. The thing is, everything normallly goes through my card so if any, the chances are, it should have been my card that's more at risk.

Lesson - NEVER Give out your personal details to a caller. ALWAYS call them back.

I can't agree more with this. I will never give personal information to anyone claiming to be from a company that is cold calling me.

One point I forgot.I was not responding to a cold call from Diners but a letter which I read after returning from my DONE4 so I called them.As well the name on the letter was someone well known to me who I had had correspondence with on the problems with online transfer of points to SPG.
As well on the last occurence with Citibank once again it was me calling them in response to an email-this was received on logging in to my Citi account.

I just received this call. I think they must have been getting complaints, because the person only asked for certain bits of information which couldn't have been used to fully identify me fraudulently:

Year of birth
Street address (no suburb)

Strangely, my card hasn't been used for several months now, because I've since changed over to a Westpac card, but I didn't get one transaction put through accidentally on Paypal 'coz I hadn't updated the subscription thingy.

Maybe they think that transaction was fraudulent because it was in US dollars and I hadn't used it in a while?? I wonder if it means I'll get a free subscription for 1 year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back