Business class on points VA or QF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLANT

Established Member
Hi there all,

Which is a better option to use CBA true awards via Plat card.....

Business class return to London using QFF program

OR

Can you even get a Business class Virgin Atlantic seat(how many points?)

Just trying to work out to use before 31st into QFF program or just use them in Velocity to use second option at a later date?

Hi there all,

Which is a better option to use CBA true awards via Plat card.....

Business class return to London using QFF program

OR

Can you even get a Business class Virgin Atlantic seat(how many points?)

Just trying to work out to use before 31st into QFF program or just use them in Velocity to use second option at a later date?

I've literally just arrived in London from a VS Upper Class award flight from Sydney. It cost 90,000 one way (128,000 with QF) and $360AUD in taxes. I found the availability A LOT better than QF. However sometimes there are plenty of BA Business seats on that route using the same number of points, etc through QF Awards.

The product itself I found to be very good. I needed plenty of sleep as I have a big itinerary planned, and this I part I thought was better than QF J (a fully flat comfortable bed, similar to NZ J). Service was great, but the only points I would give to QF over VS is the meals. Not saying VS was bad, just not as good.

However, for a saving of 38K points and with better availability, I would definitely choose them again.

Sorry, I've just noticed you are planning to use them via Velocity rather than VS Flying Club. This I cannot comment on as mine was through AMEX points direct to VS (NOT through Velocity). May be worth checking availability/points spend etc with Velocity (you can join for free), as you may still be better off.

I'll second everything swan_tim says. I've flown 3 times so far this year in VA Upper Class SYD-HKG, and can give pretty much the same conclusions. Hard product better than QF, service more friendly, but food not quite as good, probably because it is a less "formal" offering.

And of course you get the limo transfer too (though not sure if you get that on points bookings).

And of course you get the limo transfer too (though not sure if you get that on points bookings).

Unfortunately not :(. However you can use 12,500 points to use it one-way at UK, US and SA airports. Definitely not cheap, but I just had to give Heathrow a go with their amazing drive-thru check in (trying it in mid March).

WOW! Business Class Return to London

256,000 points Qantas FF

Virgin Atlantic want 500,000 up to 100,000,000 depending on time of year!

Had to ring Velocity to find this out as not on website.

CBA Plat is transfer 1:1 in both programs.

Looks like have to transfer points before 31st March...mmmmm

Any alternative?

WOW! Business Class Return to London

256,000 points Qantas FF

Virgin Atlantic want 500,000 up to 100,000,000 depending on time of year!

Had to ring Velocity to find this out as not on website.

Virgin Atlantic have their own scheme (Flying Club), and as people have pointed out - it's about 30k fewer points than QFF to fly (via HK) to London.

Virgin Atlantic don't want 500,000 points. Velocity wants 500,000 of your points. And it appears they are then taking the money that they'd recognise for that (probably around $5000) and booking/buying you a seat...

Looks like QF might be the better option for you. You can then use the points to fly on QF -or- BA, CX (via Hong Kong), JL (via Narita) etc as a "partner award"

Business Class redemptions seem to be very pricey on velocity.

I would transfer to QFF in this scenario.

However if it were something like AMEX points I'd be going direct to SQ or VS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back