Booking RTW (QFF reward redemption) AND a simple return (cash) 18+ months in advance | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Booking RTW (QFF reward redemption) AND a simple return (cash) 18+ months in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenAlexander

Flights
My Map
We need to be in Canada in October and current prices appear to be close to $3k each in Y. We have hundreds of thousands of points in QFF, Krisflyer and Virgin reward programs so I started looking into RTW trips and think I could find something that also gets me a Euro holiday the following year...

My original plan was to book the RTW with QF in J. I can do this, with all layovers and ground segments totalling just under 35k miles. This includes a stop over in [NRT/HKG/LAX/ORD] where I intend to make another booking to return to BNE for 10 months, before returning to carry on my RTW journey from that airport.

Roughly it would be:
1) BNE-xLAX-xORD-YTO (Oct 2019) (QF-AA)
2) YTO-HKG (Oct 2019) (CA)
... New booking, return HKG-BNE-HKG (miles not counted)
3) HKG-xHEL-TOS (SEP 2020) (CA/AY)
4) TOS-xHEL-MUC (SEP 2020) (AY)
... Surface sector MUC-ZAG
5) ZAG-xDOH-BNE (OCT 2020) (QR)

= 34,703 Miles
Great Circle Mapper

My questions are:
- How do I book the RTW, as some flights are 9 months out, and others are 21 months.
- How do I book the separate return flight, when again, some legs are well into the future. Would it be possible to find a sale fare (as most sale fares only seem to cover a few months worth of travel).
- I selected HKG as my mid point as I believe it will be easier to get one way (or return) flights there. If you believe this is wrong, and I could pay a similar price for a flight from North America to BNE return, I'd love to know about it!!

Is there anything I haven't considered?

fifo

I could be wrong, but from my prior RTW reading for the rules for OW, you need to complete all flights within 12 months of first flight.

BenAlexander

Flights
My Map
I could be wrong, but from my prior RTW reading for the rules for OW, you need to complete all flights within 12 months of first flight.
This is correct. My first flight will be in 8 months from now and my last will be in 20 months.
(EG: Fly out the 15th of October 2019 and make sure I am finished before the 14th of October 2020)

tharaka

Intern
We need to be in Canada in October and current prices appear to be close to $3k each in Y. We have hundreds of thousands of points in QFF, Krisflyer and Virgin reward programs so I started looking into RTW trips and think I could find something that also gets me a Euro holiday the following year...

My original plan was to book the RTW with QF in J. I can do this, with all layovers and ground segments totalling just under 35k miles. This includes a stop over in [NRT/HKG/LAX/ORD] where I intend to make another booking to return to BNE for 10 months, before returning to carry on my RTW journey from that airport.

Roughly it would be:
1) BNE-xLAX-xORD-YTO (Oct 2019) (QF-AA)
2) YTO-HKG (Oct 2019) (CA)
... New booking, return HKG-BNE-HKG (miles not counted)
3) HKG-xHEL-TOS (SEP 2020) (CA/AY)
4) TOS-xHEL-MUC (SEP 2020) (AY)
... Surface sector MUC-ZAG
5) ZAG-xDOH-BNE (OCT 2020) (QR)

= 34,703 Miles
Great Circle Mapper

My questions are:
- How do I book the RTW, as some flights are 9 months out, and others are 21 months.
- How do I book the separate return flight, when again, some legs are well into the future. Would it be possible to find a sale fare (as most sale fares only seem to cover a few months worth of travel).
- I selected HKG as my mid point as I believe it will be easier to get one way (or return) flights there. If you believe this is wrong, and I could pay a similar price for a flight from North America to BNE return, I'd love to know about it!!

Is there anything I haven't considered?

Isn't this backtracking in either case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JA2