BNE to LAX on VA then all around the USA on VX and DL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleS

Intern
The Preparation -

The planning for this trip started in Dec 2012 when it seemed plausible to visit 3 of my US suppliers and then tack on a ski trip to Vail CO and catch up again with Josh, my old room mate from 30 yrs ago.Everything started well with my reading of the fine print on theVelocity T&C's where I noted that post Sabre you could book a flexi fare then upgrade to Business using points at anytime rather than book then hope you scored the upgrade in the 2 week window before the flight date. Much better system. Anyway once I'd checked possible dates I rang the Platinum line where the very efficient angel found me a $2400 flexi fare BNE-LAX which was upgradeable. The usual nerves kicked in once I'd given my CC details and the ticket was paid. Now you're hanging on the phone waiting, waiting...... Relief ensured as she came back to me a few minutes later with the magic words all confirmed in Business and the email is on its way.

Next steps once I knew I was going in comfort were to book the US legs.Lots of checking and double checking of the VX and DL sites led me to eventually book my first leg LAX-IAD. I have spent plenty of time inthe USA but never been to Washington DC. The VX fare was cheaper than Delta and it was also cheaper to IAD rather than JFK so it was a good opportunity. I got a Main Cabin Select fare and confirmed my seat in row 3. I felt I could cope with with 5 hours there rather than shelling out over 3 times as much for 1[SUP]st[/SUP] class which seemed a little steep. The rest of my flights would be on DL and all in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] class. These consisted of EWK-DTW, DTW-ATL, ATL-EGEand finally DEN-SLC connecting to SLC-LAX.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ToLA, a drive around and In 'n Out Burger

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]VA7 BNE-LAX 09:50 seat 1D[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Theday started reasonably early with a lift from my darling wife fromour home in Australia's most easterly town to the Varsity Lakesstation on the Gold Coast for the Air Train. Family members visitingand various other reasons meant it wasn't feasible to expect to getdriven all the way to the airport. Plus I had one hour spare due todaylight saving and I could check out the efficiency of the AirTrain. Turns out it was a reasonable trip if not a bit long at around95 minutes but starting from the first station meant I scored a goodseat facing the right way (I hate going backwards on trains). Being aFriday the train soon filled up with commuters but was not toocrowded and 90% of them got off at the city stations. So afterarriving at the International station I headed for check in which waspainless as I only had 1 person ahead of me. The Air NZ lounge isvery basic as we all know but I did use my time to check EF to seehow the cabin was looking. It was still showing no-one next to me butpretty full otherwise. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Myanticipation of a shadow was dashed upon boarding where I found 1Ewas occupied. Turns out it was a VA cabin crew who was travellingwith her mum and they were only confirmed for travel the day before.It was ok though as she was attractive and talkative and of courseknew all the other crew. I think every crew member on the flightstopped by for a chat at some time during the flight. The FD was anathletic looking “Aussie as” guy so all the announcements wedelivered in a no nonsense, down to earth fashion which was fine.Certainly very different to the oh so gay crew on a recent SYD-PERtrip (not that there's anything wrong with that!). The crew were goodand service on this leg was efficient without being special. The foodwas good – I had the pork on rice which was pretty tasty, watched Argo, which I enjoyed but the soppy ending spoiled it, and listenedto some music but it kind of seemed like we were rushed throughservice so they didn't have to deal with all of us and could relax. Idid chat a bit to my neighbour but couldn't glean any tips or gossipon Virgin, Sabre or anything else in particular as she was kind of“blond” I actually dropped off to sleep without having the bedmade up and got a good few hours in. We had been told soon after takeoff that favourable winds would cut the flight time to just over 12hours and soon enough it was brekky time. Not long after we began thedescent into LAX with the captain advising us that we would belanding in coastal fog but it was ok as the aircraft was capable oflanding in these conditions (phew!). Indeed we didn't see anythingbut grey outside the windows until pretty close to the ground. Nowthat VA uses terminal 5 for arrivals it's a long walk from the gateto immigration but there were plenty of staff happily welcoming us toLA at 6:00am.
IMG_1674.jpg
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]OnceI collected my bags and made it outside I looked for the EnterpriseRental Car bus which duly appeared and I guess due to the early hourI was the only passenger. The Enterprise lot is a bit further awaythan the other rental companies but not too far to be a problem andthey are really efficient. There was no line, my booking wasprocessed right away and I was directed to the lot where things weredouble checked. I was asked if I wanted to upgrade and looking at theCadillacs, Dodge Chargers and other assorted vehicles in the lot itwas tempting but I settled for my Chevy Cruise and headed out thegate. My plan was to head up to Melrose Ave to have breakfast at thegreat Blu Jam Cafe but as we were early and I would arrive wellbefore they opened I drove down Sepulveda towards Hermosa Beach toget an idea of where my hotel was located and to see what the areawas like. The fog certainly made everything rather gloomy anduninviting so after filling in about 45 min I headed north toHollywood just taking La Brea Ave rather than battling rush hourtraffic on the 110 freeway. By the time I got further inland the fogwas lifting and it was warming up. As usual Blu Jam was busy and theFrench Toast was massive and delicious. After walking round the blockto help my digestion I got back in the car and headed for MulhollandDrive as my plan was to cruise along as far as I could and now thatthe sun was out I could take in the views. Somehow I managed to geton Cahuenga Blvd East of the 101 but soon found the bridge back tothe correct side and was turning onto Mulholland. It's a greatwinding drive and I made a few stops for photos and to take in theviews on either side of the ridge and look at some of the amazinghouses. Eventually you reach the point where you need to turn rightand go down into the Valley an soon I was on Ventura Blvd in Encino.[/FONT]
IMG_1677.jpg
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Despitealready having had 2 breakfasts it was now early afternoon and I wasfeeling peckish so time to head to In-N-Out Burger. I continued weston Ventura to the Topanga Canyon Blvd turnoff and followed it all theway back to the coast where once again it was still foggy andconsiderably colder. Then past Santa Monica and eventually back ontoSepulveda to the In-N-Out Burger next to LAX. Yes a full circle hadnow been completed. The place was packed and my order was number 37which sounded ok until I heard them calling out numbers in the lowteens. Still it didn't really take too long and of course you aregetting a freshly cooked burger which is well worth the wait. Eventhough it was a bit chilly I sat outside so I could watch the planeslanding. As they were still landing in fog there were some greattrails coming off their wings and tails plus it was fascinating tosee the variety of aircraft and airlines just above your head. Highlyrecommended for airline nuts like most of us are and I spent about anhour there in total. There were about 6 plane spotters takingpictures and notes which is not surprising as it's a great vantagepoint. [/FONT]
IMG_1678.jpgIMG_1682.jpgIMG_1684.jpg
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Nextit was back onto Sepulveda and down to the Holiday Inn ExpressHermosa Beach. As I had taken up the matching with my VelocityPlatinum I had decided to use IHG properties on this trip to see whatmy Priority Elite status got me. This hotel is on the Pacific CoastHighway and in regular traffic about 20 min from LAX so prettyconvenient but well away from all the airport madness. For thisnight's stay I had prepaid as it was only $119. I was warmly greetedas a Priority guest and given a little bag which contained a bottleof water and a pack of crisps (woo hoo!). No room upgrade at thishotel but it was a large room with a king bed and decent bathroom –just as you would expect and clean and tidy.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ithad been a big day and I was ready to crash at about 6pm but I didmanage to hang on for another hour or so and set the alarm for myearly start and 7am VX flight to Washington DC. [/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

LA to Washington on VX Seat 3A

I booked a 7am flight from LAX to IAD even though I knew it would involve getting a very early start. Turns out that as I had such a big day yesterday I actually woke up before my alarm. Having previously experienced US airport crowds I figured I needed to be at check in before 6am so it was a quick shower and out the door at about 5:15. Zero traffic on the way back to LAX from Hermosa Beach meant that it only took about 12 minutes, Enterprise showed their usual efficient service at drop off, the bus to the terminal was right there so before you know it I'm in the Priority line at VX and it's not even 5:45. They gave me a priority pass for security so I went right to the front and was taking my shoes off about 3 minutes later. First time back dealing with the TSA means double checking everything and I got all things out of pockets, shoes, laptop etc but when I got to the scanner I still had my wallet in my pocket. The lady said just hold it in your hand - so ok. When they tell you come out of the scanner you think all right I'm ok but you actually have to wait a couple more seconds until they get the all clear before you can actually step away. Now that was done I headed upstairs for the lounge and buzzed the door. Was let in to be told "We're not actually open yet but you can come in" I was also quizzed on my eligibility as my ticket was only main cabin select but quickly showed the Platinum tag on my bag and was waved in. This is what an empty lounge looks like.
IMG_1691.jpgIMG_1692.jpg
The girls were busy setting up the breakfast but it didn't stop the only other guy in there from complaining that he wanted some yoghurt forcing one of them to stop what she was doing and go get him some. Grumpy old cough. With any seat available I sat near the window looking out at the tarmac watching the airport coming to life. As it got past 6:30 and I couldn't see the boards I went to the desk and asked if they did announcements and she just said let me call down to the gate. 5 more minutes was the answer so I got my stuff together and headed down. VX boards by rows and things were quite orderly but there was still a bit of a line so I just sat nearby and waited then as it thinned out till almost no-one was left I proceeded aboard. First Class was full and the rest of the plan looked full but there was nobody in 3B and looking across the row nobody in 3E either so we Main Cabin Select crew were flying in comfort. Soon after the Captain came out and did his speech as I had seen on my last VX flight and we were ready to go.

One thing I noticed as I was waiting to board was that pax were carrying all sorts of food and drink on board and the lady in 3F had one of those giant Starbucks cups which she just sat on the tray before we left the gate then as we taxied out and took off she just held it in her hand. The other noticeable differences to AUS flying were that the crew weren't the slightest bit interested in checking my boarding pass as I stepped on the plane - you're just on your own to find your seat - and all the blinds were down and stayed down for take off.

As this was my first time in row 3 on VX some differences with VA soon became apparent. It's a similar setup behind the purple plastic screen and you have the extra legroom. However there's a monitor on the wall, there's a tray which slides out of the wall and there's a shelf for the magazines etc with room to store more stuff if you want. Touching the screen gets the IFE up and running and you can start watching right from the gate. Plus as has been described by other AFFers once we hit cruising height you can order meals & drinks from the screen and they bring your order to your seat and as a Man Cabin Select my meals were included in my fare.
IMG_1694.jpgIMG_1695.jpg
It was very comfortable and the slid out tray is really convenient and much better than fighting with the in armrest tray. As the flight was almost 5 hours I managed to watch 2 movies - Arbitrage and Searching for Sugarman which were both great - I ordered lunch which was an ok chicken wrap plus as they do the block off, toilets at the from are for first class only, I got to go down to the back of a plane for the first time in ages. It's a whole other world back there!

Soon we were descending and fortunately the forecast bad weather had not eventuated so I had a good view of Virginia as we came in. IAD is a big, very clean and modern airport. I was impressed. After picking up my bags I headed down to the Supershuttle desk as I had booked a transfer to my hotel. I was on my way without too much delay although me and a lady from Belgium who were at the desk together were a little confused by the instructions "just out the door to your right". Turns out the vans were parked about 300m to our right. I had booked the Holiday Inn on C St right near the Air and Space Museum and after a very pleasant welcome from the front desk and a quick drop off of my bags in the room I was out the door and on my way to see what I could see in the hour and a bit that I had left before closing time at 5:30. It was very busy as you would expect and once I found the Wright Brothers exhibit I just spent the rest of my time in there until they kicked us out. So fascinating.
IMG_1696.jpg
After freshening up at the hotel, which one again as a Holiday Inn was clean & tidy and also pretty busy with a bunch of groups in the lobby, I decided to go for a wander then head up to U St took check out the bars and get some dinner. It was quite cold and there was almost no-one around. The mall area around the Capitol is amazing and there were plenty of photo ops but every time I wanted to take a picture I had to take my gloves off which is not what I'm used to at home. Definitely worth it though.

The Washington Metro ticket machines are a good test of intelligence. You have to check the list for that station you want which determines the fare, work out if it's peak or off peak, add the $1 for a paper ticket if you don't have a Metrocard, press the +/- buttons until the fare shows in the screen, press the ok button then put in your money. Took a while but I got it. Apart from that it's a quick efficient system and well patronised on a Saturday night.

Once I got to U St I wandered along scoping things out. Most of the bars are upstairs or downstairs and as they are in older buildings there's often just a small door so it's hard to see what they're like from the street. Anyway i ended up at the African end and I saw an Ethiopian restaurant which looked inviting so I thought I'd give it a try. With some help from the waitress I chose a lamb curry dish which looked ok on the menu. When it was delivered to my table it was on a large plate with the curry sitting on top of a flat bread very much like a pancake consistency with another piece of bread folded up on the side and it was served with no cutlery. So I had to ask what to do and what you do is tear off a piece of bread and use it to pick up the curry and shovel it into your mouth. It was pretty tasty and washed down with some Ethiopian beer. Another thing was that people were coming in for takeaway. Made me wonder if the next big thing in fast food could be Ethiopian takeout. Any potential investors can contact me. I was good and filling but i was getting tired so after a beer in another bar and the Metro home I hit the sack.

Next up was a good part of Sunday in DC then a train to NYC and the Allman Brothers Band at the Beacon Theatre

Segway around DC, Amtrak to NYC and the Allman Bros

This trip report caper is much harder when you get home and real life gets in the way but now I have a chance to continue... Plus I get to add a photo from my walk the previous evening.
View attachment 15092

Woke up to sunshine and all the TV weather people saying the forecast rain would hold off until late arvo. So I got in the internet (free wi fi as usual in almost every hotel in the world except in Australia) and booked the 10:30 Segway tour of the mall with Capital Segway. This involved another short subway ride but I had the ticket thing down now. The subway stations are pretty impressive looking with the concrete effect.
View attachment 15093
Soon enough I was at their office and meeting my fellow tour companions. The first thing they do is kit you up with a helmet and the earpiece and receiver then there's a short video on Segway use then you hop on one in the shop and learn the step on, forward, back and turn controls - easy! Then we head over to Franklin Park opposite to practice more for about 10 min. Soon we're all whizzing round especially one girl who manages to drive into a wall - but soon we're all classed as competent and we're off. Interestingly Segways are allowed on the street so to start with we're all in the traffic heading down I street towards Lafayette Sq. From there all of a sudden you're on Pennsylvania Ave and in front of the White House.
View attachment 15095
All the while our guide Tyler was talking to us and describing the history behind what we were seeing so it was great. From there we headed to Constitution Gardens, the Reflecting Pool past the Vietnam Memorial to the Lincoln Memorial with plenty of stops for photos and commentary. Then to circle back we passed the Korean Memorial, to the Potomac, past the Thomas Jefferson Memorial up to the Washington Monument. By this time we were approaching the 2 hours so after some final commentary we rode back to the office. I highly recommend this as it's not only fun there is no way I could have got around to all these places in the time I had. You don't actually get a chance to get off and walk around all the monuments but I had no problem with that as I know what I would like to see next time and I learnt a lot from the excellent commentary.

Next part of my journey was to Union Station to take Amtrak to New York Penn Station. It was St Patricks day so the parade had closed off a number streets and traffic near the station was pretty bad but my cab driver took me to the side entrance so all was well. I booked the Acela rather than the regular train as it's quicker and more comfortable and being a Sunday afternoon it was not crowded. The seat was comfortable and the staff served lunch and drinks efficiently so it's a great way to travel. This train was scheduled to terminate in Boston but just after we left Philadelphia there was an announcement over the PA that due to a derailment in Connecticut the train would terminate at Penn Station. No problem for me but inconvenient for anyone travelling further north. This also meant the when we did arrive at Penn Station there was a mad rush off the train and while the concourse is quite big you eventually end up just being in the subway at 34th st and lugging your bags up the stairs to 7th ave. The cab line was pretty comical - there were about 50 people in the line and it moved quickly but, being New York, while one cab was stopped at the kerb to load another would pull up outside it which blocked the first cab from exiting and then the passengers for the 2nd cab would be out in the street with their bags. Then there was a couple with a baby, a stroller and a chair - not kidding - who were waiting for one of the SUV cabs so they could fit everything in but basically just being in the way. Anyway soon I was on my way to the Holiday Inn midtown on 57th st.

The Allman Bros have been playing a season at the Beacon Theatre on Broadway for many years and this was the final show of the 2013 run. Having been a big fan since the mid 70's I was pretty excited. So it was a quick change at the hotel then up to Columbus Circle to get the subway up to 72nd st. The Beacon is a beautiful old theatre and I had a seat in the stalls about 12 rows back. Most of the crowd were good old boys - blokes with hair in a ponytail under a baseball cap - but it was a great atmosphere. When the band came on it ramped up again. What a band! They played a bunch of their hits and the show lasted around 3 hours finishing with Dreams, Jessica and Whipping Post. So in a fantastic mood I walked back down Amsterdam Ave at midnight to the hotel.

Not sure why the images didn't load? Trying again.
IMG_1698.jpg
The Capitol

IMG_1708.jpg
Washington Metro

IMG_1714.jpg
At the White House

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back