best use of points to fly to HK

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiseguy

I'm quite lost when it comes to rewards points/
But Anyways I have about 100,000 in altitude points and looking to fly either Cathay or Qantas to Hong Kong this year.
What Is the best way to maximise these points?
Should I just book through the altituderewards.com.au website?
Or should i transfer them over to my FF card (assuming i can find it again)?

thanks!

You could transfer points to Asia miles but last I've looked it's 80,000 points return in business from Aus to Hong Kong or 54,000 in premium economy return.

Altitude points transfer at 2:1.

just fiddling around in the rewards website i estimated 100,000 points = $500 QANTAS discount.
Is that reasonable for rewards points?
Considering I had to spend around $30,000-$40,000 to get that. thats a pretty cough return :shock:

Busiest time of the year being Xmas.

Normally you can get to go kg Kong via singapore (short stop over) in economy for 73,000 altitude points + taxes.

At Xmas the price is over 230,000 points plus taxes.

Xmas points/ward fares book out usually when they open up 353/330 days out.

Might have to do a paid fare then look at booking something ahead of time later on

yeah i was afraid of that.
oh well, $500 discount is better than nothing.
Thanks mumff!

I wouldn't use the points at all!

Keep saving until you can get a few more points and convert to asia miles 2:1 to get 80,000 points to do business class return.

Using points for any economy trips is just a waste in my opinion :) the taxes are usually more than the fare itself!

Or stay around a little longer and you will find that you can use the altitude points to fly one was business class and then purchase miles through AA, Alaska air, us dividend (although US only allow return bookings not 1 way)

I was you 2 years ago and in that time I only now travel business class on points. My husband stares at me blank faces but he doesn't complain when we re row 1 every time.

Keep your points because if you stay and have a read, you will be kicking yourself you spent 100,000 altitude points to save $500 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back