Best use of Amex points

dein_gesicht

Hi all,
I've googled thus and really struggling to see what is the best use of amex points. I opened up an amex plat and have got 700k points now thanks to business spending.

Is there a thread or a website or a calculator that I can use? I am happy to spend time understanding but I just csnt find anything overly useful

Sorry I should have narrowed it down. Beat use of points is basically flights so just that. I did use points pre-pandemic for Conrad maldives which was great.

I have the charge card so can transfer to hilton or marriot but hilton transfer not that great anymore

Hi there: I'm new here at AFF but based in the States, and long-time Amex cardholder. Apologies if I am stating the obvious, but there are many US-based travel blogs that continually publish recommendations about "Best Use of [Amex Membership Rewards Points]", that you can find through an internet search. Here's the first example I found, from one pretty well-known travel blog. Opinions will differ and opportunities will vary over time, but generally speaking for flights the best value is transferring to one of their airline partners. Here's another one that includes some handy tables comparing redemption rates for various airline partners. "Paying with points" -- ie. by using the points as credits on your Amex statement -- is also an option, but usually thought to be the worst redemption value.

One thing to look out for is that Amex periodically offers limited-time "transfer bonuses" for moving points to certain partners which can change the incentives for choosing one over another. For example, at various times this year, they were offering a 25-30% bonus for transfer to Marriott (not flights of course, but thought I'd mention it anyway). It looks like they are currently running bonus offers for transfer to Flying Blue and Avianca.

Hi there: I'm new here at AFF but based in the States, and long-time Amex cardholder. Apologies if I am stating the obvious, but there are many US-based travel blogs that continually publish recommendations about "Best Use of [Amex Membership Rewards Points]", that you can find through an internet search. Here's the first example I found, from one pretty well-known travel blog. Opinions will differ and opportunities will vary over time, but generally speaking for flights the best value is transferring to one of their airline partners. Here's another one that includes some handy tables comparing redemption rates for various airline partners. "Paying with points" -- ie. by using the points as credits on your Amex statement -- is also an option, but usually thought to be the worst redemption value.

One thing to look out for is that Amex periodically offers limited-time "transfer bonuses" for moving points to certain partners which can change the incentives for choosing one over another. For example, at various times this year, they were offering a 25-30% bonus for transfer to Marriott (not flights of course, but thought I'd mention it anyway). It looks like they are currently running bonus offers for transfer to Flying Blue and Avianca.
Thanks - I appreciate your thoughts.

I just find that many of these blogs are for US cards that have differing redemption rates. I do read what is on pointshack too, but I'll have a look at these sites now.

Mine go to SQ though now if Europe is your aim possibly better to Velocity as the choice of SQ or QR awards.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back