Best FF program for MR points and backup card?

fraqtl

Hi folks, I've done a fair bit of browsing through the last 18 months of posts here and I'm after some advice on which is the best FF program to transfer points to.

I'm awre the MR points are flexible so could transfer to multiple partners but the reason I ask is that many of the places I make purchases at done accept AmEx and I'm losing out on a bunch of points.

So, with that in mind I'll need to get a backup Visa/MC for when that happens.

Which leads to my main question, which backup card is best in conjunction with Amex (I have a Business Explorer)? A direct earn one? In which case, which is the best program to direct earn to? Or another flexible one? I've seen the St. George Amplify Signature card talked about a few times but with a minimum $15k limit I just don't need or want a card with that high a limit, so I'd be going with their regular one which is 1 point per dollar.

In theory I don't mind being stuck with one FF program/alliance so any pointers on which backup card I should go with (and thus which program/alliance I should be going with) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Honestly it depends where you want to go.

Where do you want to go?
Oh goodness. I don't even have destinations yet. I've gotten onto the whole points earning thing because it's the only way I'm actually going to manage going on holidays, I do OK but flights are expensive :)

I guess I was after the best "all round" option, but from your response it's unlikely there is one....

The priority I think is to find a good backup card that can go to an appropriate program or is a good flexible program that would complement the AmEx MR program.

I think that QFF is out if you have Business Explorer as your primary card as it’s not a transfer option except for Platinum.

I think Amplify transfers to SQ & VA these days. I have HSBC currently. It also transfers for CX. I figure one extra airline option doesn’t hurt. There’s a $120kpa points cap which is common for bank issued cards now except for the Westpac group currently (including the Amplify range).

HSBC currently convert at 2:1 for all supported airlines. Amplify changed it to 3:1 specifically for SQ and Amex followed because they could.

Not sure if HSBC meets your needs (does for me but horses for courses) and I have the Premier card which has no AF. There are conditions for HSBC Premier which are easily met - plenty of info on AFF & HSBC have a reputation for painful application process for anything but a very straightforward salary. I’m not in a salary and must’ve got them on a good day as my application went through in a day.

Good luck in your search. YMMV.

I think that QFF is out if you have Business Explorer as your primary card as it’s not a transfer option except for Platinum.

I think Amplify transfers to SQ & VA these days. I have HSBC currently. It also transfers for CX. I figure one extra airline option doesn’t hurt. There’s a $120kpa points cap which is common for bank issued cards now except for the Westpac group currently (including the Amplify range).

HSBC currently convert at 2:1 for all supported airlines. Amplify changed it to 3:1 specifically for SQ and Amex followed because they could.

Not sure if HSBC meets your needs (does for me but horses for courses) and I have the Premier card which has no AF. There are conditions for HSBC Premier which are easily met - plenty of info on AFF & HSBC have a reputation for painful application process for anything but a very straightforward salary. I’m not in a salary and must’ve got them on a good day as my application went through in a day.

Good luck in your search. YMMV.
Thank you, I'll check out the HSBC card, although I'm not salaried either.

Is SQ generally the better program for Aussie based people?

I'm looking mostly for a program I can dump points into when there are bonuses so I can just build them up. It's likely not optimal but my spend isn't so big that being optimal is an option. I do see KrisFlyer mentioned a bit and they are part of Star Alliance so maybe the better option?

Edit: Is Virgin not a good option for a single program person like myself?

I have commvank ultimate and hsbc Star alliance as my go to backup card. Both have good selection of FF programs to transfer points to. In addition I have Citi prestige for fun points collection.

Thank you, I'll check out the HSBC card, although I'm not salaried either.

Is SQ generally the better program for Aussie based people?

I'm looking mostly for a program I can dump points into when there are bonuses so I can just build them up. It's likely not optimal but my spend isn't so big that being optimal is an option. I do see KrisFlyer mentioned a bit and they are part of Star Alliance so maybe the better option?

Edit: Is Virgin not a good option for a single program person like myself?
SQ is a popular program for Aussies and financial institutions are cottoning onto that by increasing transfer rates accordingly. You need to remember SQ has a hard 3 year expiry policy - KF points expire 3 years to the exact month points are earned and transferred and they rarely offer transfer bonuses.

CX have started to offer more regular transfer bonuses and have changed their expiry rules to better align with QFF & VA.

If you’re aiming to transfer to SQ wait until closer to when you are ready to book to transfer if there aren’t any bonuses - Amex & HSBC programs are flexible so you can warehouse points there subject to Amex & HSBC devaluing them periodically & with or without notice.

Good luck with your search :)

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back