Batik Air (Indonesia) to start Bali-Canberra

Same here.

However, things are happening with Batik Air on this proposed route.

1. Batik Air has changed their website to include Canberra as a departure airport.

2. Batik Air has deleted some of the weekly flights from ADL to DPS. This will free up planes and crews for the Canberra service.

3. Batik Air has scheduled a launch at Canberra Airport next week. Hopefully, this will give details of pricing and dates.

4. Batik Air has a sale at the moment, There are no Canberra flights included. The sale prices for SYD to DPS flights to 30 June 2024 are $479 return and $239 one way. This may be an indicator for Canberra pricing.

Any idea when tickets between Canb and Denpasar will go on sale? Went on the Batik Air website today was advised that there are no ‘Flights do not operate on the date I searched’ [14 June 2024}.
The official launch is actually tomorrow where there will be a media event at Canberra airport this should include more details about schedule, pricing etc.

Also welcome to AFF, hope you stick around.

Batik Air has announced that the one way fare will be $394 from CBR to DPS for flight ID 6014 on 14 June 2024. This compares to the current sale fare of $239 one way to DPS from SYD and $219 from MEL.

Flight ID 6014 will leave CBR at 0800 and arrive at DPS at 1250.

My step daughter arrived last week in Bali on a Batik Airways flight from SYD. She reported that it was a no frills flight with no food or entertainment.

My wife inquired at a Canberra travel agent about buying a return flight to DPS from CBR. With travel agent fees, the price quoted was more than $800. She mentioned the Batik Airways advertised prices and was told that they were promotional prices and no longer available.

Any idea when tickets between Canb and Denpasar will go on sale? Went on the Batik Air website today was advised that there are no ‘Flights do not operate on the date I searched’ [14 June 2024}.
Did you end up booking the inaugural flight?

No. I was in Bali in April.

However, I know several people who have booked Batik Air flights from CBR to DPS.

I do not know what "teething problems" Batik Air is talking about.

Could it be lack of passengers?

Could it be lack of passengers?
First few flights only 1/4 full. The inbounds from DPS-CBR have only had a dozen people, I guess expected as they await for those CBR folks to return back.

However if flights are going our light from Canberra, unlikely they will be coming back much heavier.

Sounds very Canberra. People decry the inconvenience of connecting for international and how Qantas (and to a lesser extent Virgin) gouge them.

A competitor launches with direct services and fails because the same passengers can’t forego their lounge access and the status credits.

Sounds very Canberra. People decry the inconvenience of connecting for international and how Qantas (and to a lesser extent Virgin) gouge them.

A competitor launches with direct services and fails because the same passengers can’t forego their lounge access and the status credits.
Or how about just damn well don't fly them?

There's prestige in going, "Oh look, another flight directly from CBR, and this one is international!" But what's the point if the service isn't being used. Boasting you have plenty of food to never go hungry is pointless if said food is never eaten and just rots. (Analogy, if anyone didn't get it)

Such failure speaks to other carriers when thinking if there is any opportunity to be had in CBR.

Why couldn't a service with fifth freedom that connects CBR succeed? QR have (or had?) CBR-SYD-DOH (or some order like that), and SQ had WLG-CBR-SIN....

I only know about the service from reading it here. I think they’ve taken the Rex minimalist approach to advertising.

Plus it is random timing to launch now. Maybe they think get in and started now to build some momentum before the July school holidays?

If Batik are only going to try the route for a short term it’ll probably never ‘fill out’. I wonder how FJ are going with their CBR-NAN direct flights at the moment? They’ve had a bit of time for word to get around and for people to understand they’re an option to book six months ahead. It’ll take a while for Batik to get to that point as well.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

The service commenced on 14 June….. it needs time to build market share. Blaming low loads on Canberra residents is a bit silly for a service 3 days old.

Having a look at fares for the next few months, they seem unrealistic … often the same as flying QF. People will prefer a full service known carrier even if it involves a short stop. They need to compete on price not just directness.

Not really, I think they have picked the wrong market to launch into. I wouldn't compare Batik as a LCC, as a direct competitor to the others.

The service commenced on 14 June….. it needs time to build market share. Blaming low loads on Canberra residents is a bit silly for a service 3 days old.
Having a look at fares for the next few months, they seem unrealistic … often the same as flying QF. People will prefer a full service known carrier even if it involves a short stop. They need to compete on price not just directness.
I agree. There's also the size and makeup of the marketplace in the Canberra Region. Batik is a LCC, which means back packers, people on cheap holiday budgets, who would want to use it. A lot of the Canberra residents and those living within a one hour drive radius of Canberra don't fit into that bracket. As @muppet said, why would you pay the same for an airfare where the only upside is a shorter flight time, and there are many downsides?

I'm happy to catch the train, or bus to Sydney, and connect to flights there, for about the same cost as Batik from Canberra - and have a much more enjoyable experience.

Batik prevìously attempted SYD and MEL to DPS as a direct "value carrier" rival to Virgin. They ultimately failed and somewhat were only able to make PER-DPS work where they are the only carrier with recliner J.

Not really, I think they have picked the wrong market to launch into. I wouldn't compare Batik as a LCC, as a direct competitor to the others.
My point is general not specific to Batik. Airlines including premium carriers are simply not returning to Canberra.

My point is general not specific to Batik. Airlines including premium carriers are simply not returning to Canberra.
QR was all set to resume the prior DOH-SYD-CBR service until there was some sort of ground handling issue and they moved the flight to DOH-MEL-ADL. The issue has now apparently been sorted out and QR has said they'll resume the CBR service when they are able to.
SQ was running CBR as a way to get out of SYD before the curfew and not arrive in SIN at a crazy early time. They will return to CBR when they resume their 10pm SYD departure.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back