ANZ Rewards Card pro's/con's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatFlyer

Intern
Just looking at getting a credit card purely for rewards only - so pay off each month or earlier to escape interest. ANZ are currently offering 50,000 bonus points on joining and waiving the annual fee for the first year (saving I think $89 or so). Is it worth going AMEX (2 pts per $) or VISA (1.5 pts per $)? AMEX isn't accepted everywhere like VISA, so don't want to come unstuck by not being able to use card for a big transaction just for this reason. I guess, after looking into most cards, I would prefer to go ANZ but just want to check I haven't missed any loopholes that I should have noticed? Thanks in advance :D

Yes, you get both cards.

Just remember that the points do not transfer across to the partner programs at a 1=1 ratio. And that ANZ rewards points have a hard 3 year expiry.

What do you mean 'transfer across'?

I thought ANZ had their own reward program and you just get points and redeem points within that program?
Yes, you get both cards.

Just remember that the points do not transfer across to the partner programs at a 1=1 ratio. And that ANZ rewards points have a hard 3 year expiry.

Do you get 2 cards then? One ANZ and one AMEX?
The ANZ deal is a combination - both an Amex and Visa linked to the one account, so no need to choose between them.

Oh I see you said 'yes, you get 2 cards' .................this is all a bit confusing! lol! Need another coffee...:(

oh thank you! do you think the ANZ is a good deal at the moment and worth it just for the rewards? With no annual fee I guess I can't really go wrong?

Personally I went with the ANZ Frequent Flyer card for the 50,000 QFF points which I consider more valuable than 50k ANZ points.

However that valuation is entirely up to you. It depends on what you want out of it. But you're entirely right, no fee for the first year means that you can bin it before you ever pay a fee.

Yes! Well I plan on deciding today so thank you so much for your input. Cheers! :p

I agree with TomVexille - I went with the ANZ QFF card for the 50k points even though my preference is to fly SQ (to which points can be transferred to SQ Krisflyer from ANZ). The 50k ANZ Rewards points transfer at different rates i.e. to SQ Krisflyer it would be just over 16k points, which falls around 7k short of a saver one way economy seat Sydney to Singapore, whereas the 50k QFF points will buy you 2 economy or one bus class seat Dubai - Paris/Milan/Frankfurt etc on Emirates.

The Anz card also offers some other good benefits, you can get complimentary travel insurance I think with Platinum card up (you need an income of $50,000) and that travel insurance kicks in once you spend $250 on travel or accommodation before you leave Australia, other complimentary insurance offers require a lot more spend to activate...

I have had the ANZ QFF plat card for several years now and because I do a bit of spending on it they reduce the annual fee from $295 down to just $55 a year, which is just the fee QF charges to be able to have your points go into their program...

I'm not sure about the base level card but with the plat as well, you only get 0.5 points per dollar with the Visa but 1.5 points per dollar with the Amex and so of course i try to put everything on the Amex and its accepted at most places without a surcharge (Coles, Woolies, Service Stations, fast food joints quite a few shops) but for the places that don't accept Amex i would be tempted to look at another bank's credit card offer that had a visa or mastercard that earned 1 point per dollar as the 1/2 point per dollar of the ANZ visa is a bit coughpy...

But anyway the vast majority of my spend on this combo product is able to be put through my Amex... Even pay my rent through it.... So it works for me...

Does anyone know if ANZ rewards / QF cards earn points on BPAY and ATO transactions?

Does anyone know if ANZ rewards / QF cards earn points on BPAY and ATO transactions?

Yes, they do.

I have also earned points on foreign exchange from Amex if ordered online. To do this, you need to be set up for ANZ internet banking and have your card listed on the account menu. When ordering FX either direct with Amex or indirect through another source (credit union/AUS post), you can choose to finalise the order by Bpay. Go into internet banking, choose 'pay and transfer' option and Bpay - pay from there. With the Plat cards, I think ANZ also offer FX orders free of commission and with point earn if ordered over the phone - but don't quote me on that.

The Anz card also offers some other good benefits, you can get complimentary travel insurance I think with Platinum card up (you need an income of $50,000) and that travel insurance kicks in once you spend $250 on travel or accommodation before you leave Australia, other complimentary insurance offers require a lot more spend to activate...

I have had the ANZ QFF plat card for several years now and because I do a bit of spending on it they reduce the annual fee from $295 down to just $55 a year, which is just the fee QF charges to be able to have your points go into their program...

I'm not sure about the base level card but with the plat as well, you only get 0.5 points per dollar with the Visa but 1.5 points per dollar with the Amex and so of course i try to put everything on the Amex and its accepted at most places without a surcharge (Coles, Woolies, Service Stations, fast food joints quite a few shops) but for the places that don't accept Amex i would be tempted to look at another bank's credit card offer that had a visa or mastercard that earned 1 point per dollar as the 1/2 point per dollar of the ANZ visa is a bit coughpy...

But anyway the vast majority of my spend on this combo product is able to be put through my Amex... Even pay my rent through it.... So it works for me...

I've never had my annual fee reduced but then I've never asked. My spend is 50 or 60k a month so perhaps I should ask come renewal time.

Yes, they do.

I have also earned points on foreign exchange from Amex if ordered online. To do this, you need to be set up for ANZ internet banking and have your card listed on the account menu. When ordering FX either direct with Amex or indirect through another source (credit union/AUS post), you can choose to finalise the order by Bpay. Go into internet banking, choose 'pay and transfer' option and Bpay - pay from there. With the Plat cards, I think ANZ also offer FX orders free of commission and with point earn if ordered over the phone - but don't quote me on that.

Wouldn't foreign exchange fall under cash advance or cash like activity?

Got myself the ANZ Rewards card with 50,000 bonus points and no annual fee (for the 1st year). Hubby changed his old card to the ANZ Platinum Rewards also so we're good to go! YAY! Thanks for your opinions people - I didn't realise there was so much to know about credit cards and how the rewards work, but we're keen to start earning! :p

Very happy with our rewards cards and we are accumulating lots of points....however....wait for it......The 3 month wait for the 50,000 bonus points has come and gone with no points awarded (surprise, surprise) Have been in touch with ANZ numerous times and they have advised that the website with the original offer was never updated and instead of 3 months, it was supposed to say 4 month wait on bonus points to be credited to our accounts. After some assertiveness and non acceptance of this rubbish talk, I have advised them that it is not a concern of mine that the 'website was never updated' and I request my points immediately. They have since called me back and said I will have the points within 3 working days. Thank you very much.

Not if you use BPAY to pay for it and the biller accepts BPAY payments from CC's.

My experience has been that if using the ANZ online banking to pay for anything with a credit card, if it is deemed a cash for cash transaction, then a warning will come up prior to finalising that this transaction will be deemed a cash advance and appropriate charges will apply. Not for foreign exchange though but then ANZ do advertise that card holders can pay for fx with their card provided the fx is ordered over the phone for collection at a branch.

Yes, I've not been able to pay anything BPay without charges so I've just been using it for all other bills. A bit more limited than I thought which is a shame but some places will accept over the phone without additional charges, so just have to check it out in advance.
My experience has been that if using the ANZ online banking to pay for anything with a credit card, if it is deemed a cash for cash transaction, then a warning will come up prior to finalising that this transaction will be deemed a cash advance and appropriate charges will apply. Not for foreign exchange though but then ANZ do advertise that card holders can pay for fx with their card provided the fx is ordered over the phone for collection at a branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back