ANZ Rental Car Excess Cover - do you need to use ANZ card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuser

HI I have a couple of questions regarding [h=2]ANZ Rental Car Excess Cover[/h]
The last thread on this is 5 years old....

I tried calling the number that ANZ has on its brochure but the rep knew nothing about it. He transferred me to a number that went thanks for calling ANZ and then became an engaged tone....

I called the new number only to have the same thing happen again and again....

What I would like to know is if anyone knows if you have to USE your ANZ Visa card to pay for the car rental or not. Ie is it enough just to have paid for the cover? I've read through the terms and conditions, and can't see it but maybe I'm missing it in all the gummph.

I ask cos I'd rather use my 1.5 ffps amex card for this.

Any help would be useful.

Thanks.

Last time I tried to call ANZ to confirm that I still had Car rental cover, a similar thing happened - CSR knew nothing about it and trasnferred me to another totally unrelated area who also knew nothing about it! I gave up!

I have previously been advised by either ANZ or their insurer (Western QBE - who are much easier to talk to!) that you must pay for the rental on the ANZ card (notwithstanding it doesn't state as much in the T&C's).

I don't think I'd be inclined to risk it and not pay for it on the card. The last thing you want is them not to pay the $2,050 due to the technicality of you not having paid for the rental on the card.

You might like to try contacting Western QBE (number is on the T&C's) and see they are any more help. If you do, please post the repsonse.

It's 'free' for Platinum ANZ card holder but costs $24 PA for other cards to subscribe.

ANZ - ANZ Car Rental Cover

PDS: http://www.anz.com/resources/c/4/c4....pdf?CACHEID=c449348041cd05a09019d3b283c86c53

http://www.anz.com/resources/1/e/1e....pdf?CACHEID=1e671c004451aa4a80a2eefb15aad448

There does not appear to be a 'purchase' requirement; however, the cover is only good for $2400 less a $350 excess, so $2050.

yep know about that. I've got the gold card. Got the letter from ANZ and thought it decent deal, so gave them my $2 / month in perpetuity...

Question therefore arises from your post, Serfty, is a $2050 cover really enough?
Are there better card car insurance deals?
Ors it best to stick with rental car company extras?

Easy for one question to become many...... :!:

Last time I tried to call ANZ to confirm that I still had Car rental cover, a similar thing happened - CSR knew nothing about it and trasnferred me to another totally unrelated area who also knew nothing about it! I gave up!

I have previously been advised by either ANZ or their insurer (Western QBE - who are much easier to talk to!) that you must pay for the rental on the ANZ card (notwithstanding it doesn't state as much in the T&C's).

I don't think I'd be inclined to risk it and not pay for it on the card. The last thing you want is them not to pay the $2,050 due to the technicality of you not having paid for the rental on the card.

You might like to try contacting Western QBE (number is on the T&C's) and see they are any more help. If you do, please post the repsonse.

Good idea.

I called QBE. Sat on hold for a few seconds shy of 15 minutes. Just as I was about to hang up, phone got answered....

"Oh sorry, I can only help with claims....." :evil:

Rep was helpful enough to try to find me the right people to talk to..... so on hold for another ten minutes.

Eventually got through to a rep from the ANZ who then told me "I can only give you general advice" and then told me to read the terms and conditions on the website..... aghhhhhhh.

He then told me that if I wanted more specific information I had to call the insurance company directly, WHICH I HAD JUST DONE..... and then gave me exactly the same phone number I called in the first place.....

It's so stupid it's funny.

So NO help there. My view though is that it is NOT In terms and conditions that you have to pay for the car rental on ANZ card to be covered, only the car rental cover, which I have done...

If anyone has experience otherwise I'd love to hear it.

yep know about that. I've got the gold card. Got the letter from ANZ and thought it decent deal, so gave them my $2 / month in perpetuity...

Question therefore arises from your post, Serfty, is a $2050 cover really enough?
Are there better card car insurance deals?
Ors it best to stick with rental car company extras?

Easy for one question to become many...... :!:

Whether $2,050 is enough depends how much excess you are comfortable with and which rental car company you hire from, as follows:

Hertz - $3,300 (-$2,050 = $1,250)
Thrifty - $3,300 (-$2,050 = $1,250)
Europcar - $3,850 (-$2,050 = $1,800)
Avis - $2,915 (-$2,050 = $865)
Budget - $2,750 (-$2,050 = $700)

Positives: Covers additional drivers named on rental agreement
Negatives: Does not cover you where you are liable for amounts other than the standard Accident Damage Excess, e.g. if you have a single car accident with Hertz or Thrifty, you are liable for a Single Vehicle Accident Excess of $2,200 in addition to the excess above, which means you are not covered at all.

Note that the above excesses are from non airport locations - from airports excess will increase by the % of the airport concession recovery.

The two other best cards for car rental cover in Australia that I am aware of are:

1. Westpac Platinum - covers $5,500. Positives: High amount will cover most situations and covers all types of excess you may be liable for and all types of cars (does not excllude prestige cars, for example). Negatives: Does not cover additional driver.

2. Amex Platinum Charge Card - covers $50,000. Positives: High amount. Negatives: car must be hired a min. distance from your home (150-250km - not sure exactly) and excludes many types of cars.

Good idea.

I called QBE. Sat on hold for a few seconds shy of 15 minutes. Just as I was about to hang up, phone got answered....

"Oh sorry, I can only help with claims....." :evil:

Rep was helpful enough to try to find me the right people to talk to..... so on hold for another ten minutes.

Eventually got through to a rep from the ANZ who then told me "I can only give you general advice" and then told me to read the terms and conditions on the website..... aghhhhhhh.

He then told me that if I wanted more specific information I had to call the insurance company directly, WHICH I HAD JUST DONE..... and then gave me exactly the same phone number I called in the first place.....

It's so stupid it's funny.

So NO help there. My view though is that it is NOT In terms and conditions that you have to pay for the car rental on ANZ card to be covered, only the car rental cover, which I have done...

If anyone has experience otherwise I'd love to hear it.

How annoying!

Whether $2,050 is enough depends how much excess you are comfortable with and which rental car company you hire from, as follows:

Hertz - $3,300 (-$2,050 = $1,250)
Thrifty - $3,300 (-$2,050 = $1,250)
Europcar - $3,850 (-$2,050 = $1,800)
Avis - $2,915 (-$2,050 = $865)
Budget - $2,750 (-$2,050 = $700)

Positives: Covers additional drivers named on rental agreement
Negatives: Does not cover you where you are liable for amounts other than the standard Accident Damage Excess, e.g. if you have a single car accident with Hertz or Thrifty, you are liable for a Single Vehicle Accident Excess of $2,200 in addition to the excess above, which means you are not covered at all.

Note that the above excesses are from non airport locations - from airports excess will increase by the % of the airport concession recovery.

The two other best cards for car rental cover in Australia that I am aware of are:

1. Westpac Platinum - covers $5,500. Positives: High amount will cover most situations and covers all types of excess you may be liable for and all types of cars (does not excllude prestige cars, for example). Negatives: Does not cover additional driver.

2. Amex Platinum Charge Card - covers $50,000. Positives: High amount. Negatives: car must be hired a min. distance from your home (150-250km - not sure exactly) and excludes many types of cars.

How annoying!

I'm with Hertz and I reckon I can live with the $1250.
Touch a lot of wood, haven't had a single car accident for 20 years (and that one was at 10km/h...)

As for annoying, I still have a sore head from banging it against the wall from yet another positive call centre experience. Yay...

Thanks for your help....

I always prefer to pay the extra dollars every day so you don't have issues with car hire company.I have booked a hire car and done no insurance thing and found out that car hire company take the excess out of our credit card balance but it then take them a little while to unrelease the funds. It's caused me embarrassment when on a trip with 2 or 3 hire cars for the week plus other costs...

I always prefer to pay the extra dollars every day so you don't have issues with car hire company.I have booked a hire car and done no insurance thing and found out that car hire company take the excess out of our credit card balance but it then take them a little while to unrelease the funds. It's caused me embarrassment when on a trip with 2 or 3 hire cars for the week plus other costs...
Bee there, done that ... over 15 years ago Hertz at AKL pre-authed $1500 on my sole CC. Made for an interesting trip.:shock::-|

These days I use a Charge Card with has no "SET" credit limit. ;)

Bee there, done that ... over 15 years ago Hertz at AKL pre-authed $1500 on my sole CC. Made for an interesting trip.

Who knew that "interesting" could be so much fun!

Bee there, done that ... over 15 years ago Hertz at AKL pre-authed $1500 on my sole CC. Made for an interesting trip.:shock::-|

Someone on FT was saying that Avis in AKL debit the entire excess at the beginning of the rental if you choose not to pay to reduce it!

A platinum charge card, I assume, so that it covers the excess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back