ANZ Qantas Visa Free Upgrade to Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacquij70

My partner got a call from ANZ offering free upgrade from Qantas Visa card to Platinum Visa and Amex for same fee as existing standard card. ANZ rep said it was based on spend.

An upgrade from Qantas Visa to Qantas Platinum Visa for the same annual fee was offered via the Rewards magazine a couple of months ago. Given it was in the pre-printed Rewards magazine, I assume it was offered to all card holders. I have since received a further personalised offer in the mail, but I am on a balance transfer rate, which I understand will not apply ot the upgraded card.

My understanding is that the reason for this is that Bank's earn more from the merchant service fee, as most banks now charge a higher merchant service fee % for 'premium' cards.

Contacted call centre today to take advantage of free upgrade and told 1 extra bonus point until Jan 1, that 2.5:1 . I took it up straight away

I've just finished the bonus points period with my ANZ Amex. This month I'll drop back to 1:1 - still better than the lousy 0.5:1 I get when using the Visa.

An upgrade from Qantas Visa to Qantas Platinum Visa for the same annual fee was offered via the Rewards magazine a couple of months ago. Given it was in the pre-printed Rewards magazine, I assume it was offered to all card holders. I have since received a further personalised offer in the mail, but I am on a balance transfer rate, which I understand will not apply ot the upgraded card.

My understanding is that the reason for this is that Bank's earn more from the merchant service fee, as most banks now charge a higher merchant service fee % for 'premium' cards.
can someone please provide a link and pm a scan or tell my where i can view "the Rewards magazine a couple of months ago" with the offer of a free upgrade? i currently pay only $49 and got it waived again for another year for my standard ff card but if i upgrade or do a product transfer dont i lose it and have to pay the new $295 annual fee?

can someone please provide a link and pm a scan or tell my where i can view "the Rewards magazine a couple of months ago" with the offer of a free upgrade? i currently pay only $49 and got it waived again for another year for my standard ff card but if i upgrade or do a product transfer dont i lose it and have to pay the new $295 annual fee?

I've checked and the offer was in the Autumn 2010 Rewards booklet/magazine that came with my statement in March or April - apologies, I thought it was more recent than that. I've tried to find the Autumn Rewards magazine on the internet and unfortunately it does not seem to be available (Found Winter and Spring). I don't have access to a scanner at the moment.

Anyway, since you have an ANZ FF card, you should have received the Rewards magazine?

It doesn't matter anyway, as the offer expired 15/5/2010.

I suggest you give ANZ cards a call and see whether they have any current offer available for you.

A couple of points to keep in mind:

Offer is not for the same Platinum card as if you pay the full fee - points earn is at a lower rate than both the standard Platinum and probably what your classic card earns (0.5:$1 Visa, 1.25:$1 Amex, compared with 1.5:$1 Amex on standard platinum and 1:$1 for my classic Visa with no Amex car attached).

Any existing discounts, promotions, etc (e.g. dicounted fees, interest rates, etc) will not transfer to the new card. Given this, I doubt whether they'll do it with your $49 annual fee (My annual fee is $95).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've checked and the offer was in the Autumn 2010 Rewards booklet/magazine that came with my statement in March or April - apologies, I thought it was more recent than that. I've tried to find the Autumn Rewards magazine on the internet and unfortunately it does not seem to be available (Found Winter and Spring). I don't have access to a scanner at the moment.

Anyway, since you have an ANZ FF card, you should have received the Rewards magazine?

It doesn't matter anyway, as the offer expired 15/5/2010.

I suggest you give ANZ cards a call and see whether they have any current offer available for you.

A couple of points to keep in mind:

Offer is not for the same Platinum card as if you pay the full fee - points earn is at a lower rate than both the standard Platinum and probably what your classic card earns (0.5:$1 Visa, 1.25:$1 Amex, compared with 1.5:$1 Amex on standard platinum and 1:$1 for my classic Visa with no Amex car attached).

Any existing discounts, promotions, etc (e.g. dicounted fees, interest rates, etc) will not transfer to the new card. Given this, I doubt whether they'll do it with your $49 annual fee (My annual fee is $95).

Hope this helps.
thanks for the reply. its been of great help since i never got the targeted letter nor the rewards magazine since i signed up for estatements and only used the card once to buy a big quantas airfare early this year. i called up today on Sunday and they said the promo is still going (promos go for usually 12months) and i should already qualify since i have the minimum 12,000 credit limit . however i need to call 1800268829 to speak the product migration team during M-F business hours. I ll be calling them first thing on monday. Also apparently you keep paying you current annual fee. Which is great becuase mine has been waived for this year and is only $49 ongoing. So if i can get the platinum ff cardt for only $49 for life it will be a great deal. i wonder if they will waive supplmentarty cards fee too. However if only i had 1 million $ to spare i could get it waived for free for life as an ANZ private wealth customer lol.

dam i called on monday and now they say there is no current offer on my account so i cant get a free upgrade becuase i already have a amex card attached to the visa ff. if anyone still has the letter or rewards magizine promo please PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back