ANZ card refused due to lack of 'embossed numbers'? (Europcar) | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

ANZ card refused due to lack of 'embossed numbers'? (Europcar)

Icy

AFF Supporter
I've used my ANZ Travel Adventure card a number of times recently at Europecar without issue. Admittedly it has been at regional airport locations which I visit regularly and where the desk agents recognise me. I might query this next time if I remember. It would be interesting to get their take. I find that sometimes these over zealous enforcement of corporate rules can just be a different interpretation by certain employees (or they're having a bad day).

woodyren

I have a Halo Ring issued by Bankwest, no numbers embossed at all, it's hard enough just to find the MasterCard logo. I would how they'd deal with that, or if using Google Pay on your phone? Given current technology a very strange stance from Europcar.
With the ring just tell them that they need to toss it into a very hot fire and the number runes will be visable. They may need to translate them from Elfish though.

Last edited:

Renato1

Established Member
Pretty amazing.

The ANZ Travel Adventures card isn't a widely held card. But as this issue hasn't come up here before, it suggests to me that hardly anybody is using their free Qantas Cash Debit Mastercard or Virgin Velocity Debit Visa card, neither of which are embossed, while probably being the most widely held cards in Australia.
Regards,
Renato

p--and--t

Wonder what they would do with the very latest Diners Card I received last month with "nothing" on the front of the card - no embossing, no card number, no cardholder name - just the Diners & QF logo. The card number is imprinted in small print on the back near the signature panel.

drron

AFF Supporter
Well Europcar was obviously warned of my dodgy DC non embossed card.They didn't even take a quarantee by CC.First time ever I've not had to provide CC when picking up a rental at a place and company I've not used before.I did have my DC in my hot little hand -non embossed and no number side facing the agent.

Revolutionary String

Pretty amazing.

The ANZ Travel Adventures card isn't a widely held card. But as this issue hasn't come up here before, it suggests to me that hardly anybody is using their free Qantas Cash Debit Mastercard or Virgin Velocity Debit Visa card, neither of which are embossed, while probably being the most widely held cards in Australia.
Regards,
Renato
Slightly off-topic, but likely because they don't offer good reward rates :p

I didn't have any issues at all when using the QF card overseas a few years back.

Renato1

Established Member
Slightly off-topic, but likely because they don't offer good reward rates :p

I didn't have any issues at all when using the QF card overseas a few years back.
Perhaps - but pretty much nearly all people I know don't understand reward points, and even if they do, they don't bother with them because the reward card comes with a significant annual fee.

I was like that myself once. The Qantas and Virgin cards are the lowest cost cards (zero cost) to earn points with apart from the Amex one whih isn't accepted everywhere.
Regards,
Renato

AFF on Air Podcast

• Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chaucer