Amex Travel Gouge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty776

Churning the Amex Qantas which has been great so far. Went to use the $450 travel voucher on some flights Perth to Mel. Checked booking with Qantas direct and came up at $673 return. Figured Amex would be charging 10-15% extra but when I looked the return price was $1518. Tried some other dates and they were around this mark?

Is this normal? It looks like they were only flex economy flights.. couldn't see any red e-deal offers.

Just wondering if others had the same experience and is it any better to use the credit on hotels instead of flights.

I used my $450 credit on Intl Y QF. The price were similar. From memory, price on QF website was A$20xx, and on AMEX was A$21xx. Post the $450, the final fare was around A$17xx ..

Don't remember if there was a booking fee when using AMEX TA. Check with them and if possible as them to waive off that fee

What dates and route are you looking at?
Can't say I've ever seen such a discrepancy.

What dates and route are you looking at?
Can't say I've ever seen such a discrepancy.

Same. recently used my two travel credits. One PER>BNE>POM and the other return POM>BNE>PER in QF Y for my wife. I don't recall the exact difference but it was only around $50-60 each way. Total spend for the round trip was about $120.

but it was only around $50-60 each way. Total spend for the round trip was about $120.

Yup. That sounds about right ... there is a small (depending on how "small" is defined) variation in the fare... I had about A$100 in total for a return trip.

Glad you got it sorted, there is normally not such a discrepancy. Have used them for flights over the last 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back