Amex to Aadvantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rok

Established Member
Is there any Australian Amex issued cards that allow you to transfer to AA or even USDM's?

I know you can transfer through SPG but it's basically a cough exchange rate!

Is there any Australian Amex issued cards that allow you to transfer to AA or even USDM's?

Not that cough when they had a 50% bonus! hope they have that again next year!

No Australian cards with a 1:1 exchange to SPG, as far as I'm aware none with ability to transfer direct to AA either. One of those times that having access to a US credit card would be fantastic but not possible for most. Having said that, I find the value is there enough for me to collect AAdvantage where I can as I value them as at least twice as useful as QF points.

So I currently don't have an Amex direct issued card, which would be the best? I put about $60k per year through my CBA Amex.

I actually use the David Jones Amex, they technically use another, misleading 'Membership Rewards' program, which converts at a worse rate to most partners. But for some reason SPG is still 2:1. Personally SPG is all I'm looking to collect so it's a cheap option for me. Otherwise, Platinum Edge could be a good choice. Much has been written in this section on which to choose and wiser heads exist here too.

It does, but still at 2:1 rate
You are better off transferring to SPG and getting 5,000 bonus when transferring 20,000 points

Transferring Amex to SPG is still only 2:1 so even with the 5,000 bonus points it cannot compete with a direct transfer to you FF scheme. Here is the Amex wording - "1,000 Membership Rewards point(s) is equal to AUD 500 Starpoints"

To get 20,000 starpoints requires 40,000 MR points. If you transfer 20k points from SPG to say Krisflyer you will get 25k miles. By contrast if you transfer direct from Amex to Krisflyer your 40k MR will get you 40k Kris miles.

Transferring Amex to SPG is still only 2:1 so even with the 5,000 bonus points it cannot compete with a direct transfer to you FF scheme. Here is the Amex wording - "1,000 Membership Rewards point(s) is equal to AUD 500 Starpoints"

To get 20,000 starpoints requires 40,000 MR points. If you transfer 20k points from SPG to say Krisflyer you will get 25k miles. By contrast if you transfer direct from Amex to Krisflyer your 40k MR will get you 40k Kris miles.
Question here is transferring to Aadvantage. If you transfer 40,000 diners club points to Aadvantage you receive 20,000 points. If you do that via SPG you receive 25,000.

If I had to choose between two fee free Amex cards:

First card earns 1 QFF per $ spent
Second card earns 1 MR point per $ spent, which converted via SPG in 20,000 lots converts to 0.625 AA miles per $

I would take the second without hesitation. 0.625 AA miles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1 QFF point.

Yes, but an AA award Australia-Europe in First Class costs 80,000, while on SQ it costs 117,000 minimum.

Question here is transferring to Aadvantage. If you transfer 40,000 diners club points to Aadvantage you receive 20,000 points. If you do that via SPG you receive 25,000.

I missed that crucial point when you started talking about SPG. Oops. :oops:

Even at 2:1 to SPG and then 25% bonus from SPG to AA (for 20,000 points transfer), its generally better value than a 1:1 transfer to QFF. And of course if earning the Amex points at 3:1 (Plat Edge card spending at Supermarkets), then the rate is more like 1.875 AA miles per A$ spent. That is a darn good exchange rate as far as I am concerned!

...............Yes, but an AA award Australia-Europe in First Class costs 80,000, while on SQ it costs 117,000 minimum.

Which airline do you book through? I looked into this with Etihad (I think???) and their response was an AA award could not be booked unless you were flying out of Australia on AA metal.

Which airline do you book through? I looked into this with Etihad (I think???) and their response was an AA award could not be booked unless you were flying out of Australia on AA metal.

You have to call the airline you have the points with, not the airline you want to redeem on:

- AA does not fly out of Australia on its own metal
- The redemption I did is on BA. If you go to the AA website and search for Award flights from say SYD-LHR in First, it will show you the days seats are available.
- Other options are Cathay, Malaysian and Etihad but for those you have to call AAdvantage as they are not offered online.

I would like to know how one is supposed to fly out of Australia on AA metal :!:

I would like to know how one is supposed to fly out of Australia on AA metal :!:
My hastily worded response did not convey what I meant. Exactly, AA do not fly out of Australia so Etihad said they would not book you depart Aust using an AA award seat. I am happy to hear it can be done with other airlines.

My hastily worded response did not convey what I meant. Exactly, AA do not fly out of Australia so Etihad said they would not book you depart Aust using an AA award seat. I am happy to hear it can be done with other airlines.
But why would you be discussing AA awards with Etihad? if you want to book an award using AA miles, you contact AA not Etihad.

However, note that Etihad flights are only available for AAdvantage awards for "Service within the Middle East and between the Middle East and North America, Europe, Africa and Asia" according to aa.com site.

But why would you be discussing AA awards with Etihad? if you want to book an award using AA miles, you contact AA not Etihad.
Like many on here I am still learning and grateful for the explanation from Supersonic. Now I know and thank you also for the info.

.......However, note that Etihad flights are only available for AAdvantage awards for "Service within the Middle East and between the Middle East and North America, Europe, Africa and Asia" according to aa.com site.
When it was first suggested to me apparently you could still book ex-Aust. By the time I contacted Etihad they changed the T&Cs. As you say though I would need to contact AA anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back