Amex SUB <18 months

velli25

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
Hi everyone, hoping to get your advice on a recent sign up bonus for AMEX.

I recently applied for the Platinum AMEX with a welcome bonus of 325,000 points. Prior to applying for the card I gave AMEX a call (generic number) and asked whether I can apply for the card and be eligible for the sign up bonus as I didn't have an exact record of when I last closed my AMEX account. I believe I was past 18 months. On the phone the agent advised me that my AMEX Explorer was closed >18 months and that I'm good to apply and eligible to receive the bonus points. I did have a current DJ AMEX which doesn't affect this application.

After meeting the minimum spend for the Platinum, I waited some time for the SUB. I called up today to follow up - to my surprise the agent advised me that I applied at 16 months (not 18). He said he looked over the call records on my account and couldn't find any calls discussing this. Wondering what my rights are given I called prior to applying for the card and got confirmation? He said he would follow up with his manager. If they find the phone call the points would be credited. If not...has anyone been in this situation before? Hoping AMEX will come through on this one. I'm absolutely sure I contacted AMEX prior to applying for the card and got given the green light to apply and be eligible for the sign up bonus!

Cheers!

Might not be helpful this time but good to make a note on the date and time of phone call for things like this next time.

Hi everyone, hoping to get your advice on a recent sign up bonus for AMEX.

I recently applied for the Platinum AMEX with a welcome bonus of 325,000 points. Prior to applying for the card I gave AMEX a call (generic number) and asked whether I can apply for the card and be eligible for the sign up bonus as I didn't have an exact record of when I last closed my AMEX account. I believe I was past 18 months. On the phone the agent advised me that my AMEX Explorer was closed >18 months and that I'm good to apply and eligible to receive the bonus points. I did have a current DJ AMEX which doesn't affect this application.

After meeting the minimum spend for the Platinum, I waited some time for the SUB. I called up today to follow up - to my surprise the agent advised me that I applied at 16 months (not 18). He said he looked over the call records on my account and couldn't find any calls discussing this. Wondering what my rights are given I called prior to applying for the card and got confirmation? He said he would follow up with his manager. If they find the phone call the points would be credited. If not...has anyone been in this situation before? Hoping AMEX will come through on this one. I'm absolutely sure I contacted AMEX prior to applying for the card and got given the green light to apply and be eligible for the sign up bonus!

Cheers!
most call centres have all calls recorded and call noted on your account.

Last edited:
most call centres have all call recordings recorded and call noted on your account.
... and if you called from a mobile phone (or even a landline if it's a non standard number) you should have the call itemised on your bill along with the time and date of the call?

Thanks for the contribution all. I didn't post an update but the case was resolved shortly after my initial post.

can you share how it was resolved? This might help others who might run into similar problems in the future.

can you share how it was resolved? This might help others who might run into similar problems in the future.
Hi mate, just need to escalate the case for AMEX to do a formal investigation into previous calls. As the others have mentioned a fingerprint is recorded each time they access your account via phone call, so they can go back and listen to conversations and verify the legitimacy of your claim.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back