Amex Reserve $400 Travel Credit

Virgin
Platinum
Oneworld
Sapphire
Star Alliance
Gold
I have the Platinum Reserve credit card with the (for now) grandfathered $400 travel credit.

I don’t use the card and keep it only to retain the travel credit.

It has an unnecessarily large credit limit (Especially so given that I don’t use the card)

If I were to reduce the credit limit, does anyone know whether this would trigger an ‘event’ that would mean accepting new T&Cs moving the card to the new arrangement (more points, no travel credit)?

Unless you really need to or have a specific reason to reduce your available credit limit (eg went to for home loan and bank's granting of loan approval was conditional on you reducing your credit card limit), you should think twice about reducing available credit limit. This is because in the post-banking royal commission era, getting credit is harder than it was previously, ie easy to cut, but difficult to get back in future since they now operate on stricter lender criteria, serviceability etc

Yeah, fair comment. It was more that I don’t use it and I suspect it’s hampering my application activities elsewhere. I’ll give it some thought. Thanks for the advice

Nah, can cut it easily. I suggest it’s so easy to get more credit unless you are coming it the end of your working life. Similar to you I don’t use the reserve. In fact I didn’t even have a physical card or activate it from over 8 years ago. Had to chat to them and ask them to reissue it.

Anyway, they did and I activated it fine.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back