Amex Platinum Rewards

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiredOldFlyer

Fortunately we are able to collect AMEX reward points through our business.

We pay 2% on most of our accounts to collect 1 point per dollar.
(An added bonus is that the 2% is tax dedectible) not forgetting the 1.5 points up to $250,000.

Recently I have booked a mixed class far BNE to SFO (J to SIN and F SIN to SFO)
for 374,000 miles plus $1,000 in charges. The way I figure this is that the fare has
a total cost of $8,400 (Less ATO deduction for cost of points). This is for a listed fare
of $13,700. So am I getting a discount of $5,300 ?.

We prefer SIN as avaliablity seems always to be there.

My question is am I getting best value - considering avaliablity and the "Singapore Girl" service. My attempts at trying other avaliable AMEX and Star Alliance have been to no avail, and from my cost for the points of $7,400 how much cash actually flows through to the airline ?

It appears that points flights are heavilly discounted by the airlines but being Tired and Old maybe I dont understand.

We are a QF points provider thru our work but we are not allowed to disclose our cost as it is a commercially sensitive contract.
Banks do billions so I suspect their deal from QF is about 1 cent to 1.25 cents a point plus about 5% GST (halved rate due to overseas being GST exempt).
My bank would not tell me either.
SQ would be similar.
Now Amex tax points cost a gross 0.833 cent so I figure your real cost was $3,115 plus the taxes.
I think you must have clicked the right hand column to cost that many points on SQ when most of us wont click that column.
Singapore Girl is great so enjoy the Krug champagne!
I figure SQ get about $3740 plus the taxes which is more than leaving a seat empty and carrying more cargo in the hold.
You are getting your seat free of travel agents costs and I consider it to be the wholesale price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back