Amex Platinum Reserve & Gold charge no longer available

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlien

Just noticed whilst browsing the cards at the amex website that both the reserve & the gold charge have disappeared from the line up.
Even going to the page from my browser history redirects to the cards main page.

Not really surprised about the platinum reserve as I felt it presented poor value compared to the edge.
Howerver, I am surprised about the gold charge, I understand that on its own it's relatively unremarkable but it's an iconic card (my MIL chuckled and commented that she had one back in the day when she saw me pay for a meal with one) and also the companion platinum edge made it excellent value.

What does this all mean? Perhaps they'll introduce a few new cards to take their place, but the more likely reality is that they'll bump up the cost of the edge to about 250 to fill the gap.

doh! I was just about to ditch my Plat Charge and just have a Reserve instead! back to the drawing board!

I have the Platinum Reserve and with it disappearing from the website, I called Amex to ask about the status. The representative said that they were no longer taking any applications for the card but existing holders would continue to retain the card and benefits.

It looks like it has been removed as a complimentary card for Platinum charge card holders too. Losing the free flight would make the $1,200 annual fee a bit harder to stomach.

Hope they haven't totally got rid of all charge cards? My wife wanted to apply for one and I've currently got one for the past year and get a lot of use out of it.

My account still shows an upgrade offer to the Plat Reserve with an offer end date of Jan 2015 for a "professionals" card

Offer only available to American Express Card applicants who are eligible to receive Member Advantage benefits through their current association, who apply by 31 January 2015...

There appears to be a new Amex Platinum Rewards card now: https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/platinum-rewards-credit-card/?filter=credit

Cheaper ($0 first year, $80 after that), no free flight, and 2 points per $ at petrol stations and supermarkets. Seems to be a slightly downgraded version of the Edge card.

The Platinum Reserve is no longer a benefit with the Platinum Charge, however they have included the following which seems to offset the loss of the free flight:

• Receive a $200 Platinum Travel Credit[SUP]8[/SUP] each year, which can be redeemed online for airfares, car hire or hotel bookings.
Also looks like the free Accor Advantage membership has been introduced which gives a free night accommodation each year (this was mentioned in another thread recently about an Amex survey).

Wonder if these are going to be extended to Centurion, and if that will also have the Reserve card removed...

so i wonder what will happen to those of us with the reserve card and free flt and the edge with free flight.
my annual fee is looming dont want to stay if those not incuded

There appears to be a new Amex Platinum Rewards card now: https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/platinum-rewards-credit-card/?filter=credit

Cheaper ($0 first year, $80 after that), no free flight, and 2 points per $ at petrol stations and supermarkets. Seems to be a slightly downgraded version of the Edge card.

The Platinum Reserve is no longer a benefit with the Platinum Charge, however they have included the following which seems to offset the loss of the free flight:

• Receive a $200 Platinum Travel Credit[SUP]8[/SUP] each year, which can be redeemed online for airfares, car hire or hotel bookings.
Also looks like the free Accor Advantage membership has been introduced which gives a free night accommodation each year (this was mentioned in another thread recently about an Amex survey).

Wonder if these are going to be extended to Centurion, and if that will also have the Reserve card removed...

The travel credit and Accor Advantage membership aren't new - they were introduced about 12 months ago if I recall correctly.
Edit - I mean they aren't new for the Platinum Charge, which is what I think you were referring to.

so i wonder what will happen to those of us with the reserve card and free flt and the edge with free flight.
my annual fee is looming dont want to stay if those not incuded

I have the Reserve and I called them up when I saw it had been removed from the website. The agent said they were no longer issuing new ones, but all existing cards would comtinue along with all their benefits, including the free flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back