AMEX Platinum Concierge Gone

dcooper

Intern
Well just received the email about platinum concierge only now for travel. Well it seems as if platinum customers are not important customers but have to cop a $1450 fee…

Time to look around.

What are your thoughts?

I just opened a Westpac Black Velocity for the sign on bonus. I've had the card previously, but this time they are really pushing the concierge service and I was pleased to see that all offerings are available on a dedicated website, which for me makes it easier to peruse. I wonder if it's in response to Westpac knowing the AMEX concierge service was being enhanced?

Points earn rate is poor, but an extra 30K VFF on year 2 will definitely sway me to keep the card for 14 months.

Yep, just got the same email. not really happy about the annual fee now that the benefits are being digitised into DIY. The benefits are truly being watered down now with no Shangri La Jade status either. Pay more get less. Did they employ somone from Woolworths ?

They have no competitor in the Aussie market tbh. The closest rival is CITI but have more or less non-existent transfer partners. I have never used the concierge, so it does not even bother me a bit.

The concierge service was amazing if you knew how to extract value out of it. I’ve had dinner reservations done across the world, gifts delivered and even them being able to help me on a trip to find a restaurant or recommend things to do. The app doesn’t provide that same level of service. Anyone can download the app it’s not protected behind a login so a green card has the same access as a platinum card member. Amex on my opinion has lost its way. The biggest question we should have is what’s next? The email announcing this change was not great and was arrogant, the app notifications work of MST time so you get alerted late to special events and then they are sold out. Amex has truely lost its way.

The concierge service was amazing if you knew how to extract value out of it. I’ve had dinner reservations done across the world, gifts delivered and even them being able to help me on a trip to find a restaurant or recommend things to do. The app doesn’t provide that same level of service. Anyone can download the app it’s not protected behind a login so a green card has the same access as a platinum card member. Amex on my opinion has lost its way. The biggest question we should have is what’s next? The email announcing this change was not great and was arrogant, the app notifications work of MST time so you get alerted late to special events and then they are sold out. Amex has truely lost its way.
I agree, I found them very good to do a few things like book a specific room in a resort and get dinner reservations at Dinner by Heston in London back in 2017.

I found the service to be lacking after COVID lockdowns and they couldnt book anything and often referred you to the restaurants website to book direct and I even got told to book directly with the hotel.

They must be adding some other perks as this is a big part of WHY amex was so good

I think Amex have been milking it in AU for some time and as competition continues to fall away (like Diners who weren't really competition but were the only other Charge card) they don't need to do quite as much to retain that leadership.

I'm not quite so sure we'll get anything to replace it - certainly not anything better ... hope I'm wrong and will be corrected.

I think Amex have been milking it in AU for some time and as competition continues to fall away (like Diners who weren't really competition but were the only other Charge card) they don't need to do quite as much to retain that leadership.

I'm not quite so sure we'll get anything to replace it - certainly not anything better ... hope I'm wrong and will be corrected.
I just wonder how many value the concierge service has in regards to the annual fee. Amex removed Shangri La Jade membership but replaced it with Accor Plus which I prefer

But surely they cant remove a big perk and then leave a gaping hole with no other added benefit?

I just wonder how many value the concierge service has in regards to the annual fee. Amex removed Shangri La Jade membership but replaced it with Accor Plus which I prefer

But surely they cant remove a big perk and then leave a gaping hole with no other added benefit?
Why can't they if no one else doing such life style concierge anyway...

I think AccorPlus arrived a few years before Shangri-La Jade was cut? I think AccorPlus added in 2018 but Shangri-la Jade ended in 2021.

AccorPlus coincided with an increase in the annual fee from $1200 to $1450… so we paid for that addition.

Very true
Post automatically merged:

I think AccorPlus arrived a few years before Shangri-La Jade was cut? I think AccorPlus added in 2018 but Shangri-la Jade ended in 2021.

AccorPlus coincided with an increase in the annual fee from $1200 to $1450… so we paid for that addition.
You may be right, I cant remember but the perks are definitely getting worse

This Card is supposed to be one of their premium products at $1450 p/a. This card attracts people who would enjoy certain lifestyle and are having a go in life (have a better job, create businesses, create jobs, etc.). Over the years I met some wonderful people in our Amex community and forged friendships and connections. I get upset with this because I would like every one of us to derive some value out of this Card. In fact, I know many of us insist on excellence in service and value. We expect this from ourselves and from those who work with us. I know we all work very hard. Instead of excellent service at $1450 p.a. we seem to be getting an app... This is deplorable!

I approached naysla on LinkedIn as the service has gone downhill and was handed to the complaints team that didn’t solve one issue. It’s deplorable at the way we are treated as a cash cow for this organisation and the app they have given us is useless. My question is now what’s next? Obviously Amex doesn’t care and I’d say more benefits are likely to go.

I approached naysla on LinkedIn as the service has gone downhill and was handed to the complaints team that didn’t solve one issue. It’s deplorable at the way we are treated as a cash cow for this organisation and the app they have given us is useless. My question is now what’s next? Obviously Amex doesn’t care and I’d say more benefits are likely to go.
Do you remember what happened to the shop small... I doubt they care. Too many companies treat us like cash cows in this country, even big, public universities nowadays.

I suspect a large number of the card holders just pay for it because they can and do. I also suspect that most benefits go unused overall and, for those that do use them, there are enough of them overall that those who will quit membership over the net-a-porter or the concierge or whatever are a miniscule number. For good or bad this forum definitely doesn't represent the average amex plat member.
Personally I've seen benefits and features come and go. I get plenty of points from the card so it's going to take a bunch of devals to make me think twice about the annual fee.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back