Amex Platinum Charge Card, what do you use for groceries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccountSignup

Hi Guys,

Super tempted by the Amex Platinum Charge Card, but wondering what do you do for weekly groceries when not travelling? The idea of Platinum Edge as companion sealed the deal, however, looks like no longer possible to get. So, what are you using for weekly shopping? I currently have an ANZ Amex Black I'm planning on cancelling to replace with the Platinum Charge, however, that takes the $/Points from $1/1.5 down to 1/1, which is not so enjoyable.

Paying Amex another $100+ for the Platinum Edge on top of the $1200 Platinum Charge is getting a little crazy. I fly QF so the Virgin flights aren't so amazing to me...

The 120,000 MR points for the Amex Platinum charge card when you are referred is a welcome boost to anyone's points stash. It certainly makes the $1,200 annual fee more palatable.

It depends on how much you spend at super markets per year to determine if the Platinum Edge $195 annual fee is worth it to you.

The Entertainment book 5% off woolies wish cards while still earning the 3 MR points per dollar is pretty attractive. I believe this still works but haven't tested recently.

Also I find the Amex statement credits offers help to mitigate the annual fee. Last time my annual fee was due I tried to get it reduced unsuccessfully but they did give me some additional points to stay.

Let me know if you need a referral for either card.

Also coming from ANZ black I personally not too woried about the reduced earn rate. It's a trade off for the flexibility MR points gives me.

I think you can still get Plat Reserve as companion card if you call.

If you haven't got a referral code already, feel free to use mine.

The simple answer, and I suspect what most people on here do, that want more than 1pp$ is to apply for the Edge too. As you rightly point out though that is an extra cost on top of the Platinum Charge, I guess you need to trade that off against the 3pp$ at supermarkets and work out if it is value for you.

Another option is to apply of the Platinum Reserve companion, which is still available. This doesn't increase your points earning potential, but it does give you a free flight - which you expressed wasn't really of interest.

In my opinion if you are wedded to QFF (or Velocity for that matter) the Platinum Charge isn't a particularly good choice (esp given the cost!) due to its lower earning potential. If you only use one of these programs you are better off with a high earning branded card, like the ANZ blk you have.

The real benefits of the Plat Charge is the flexibility and variety of transfer partners it provides. Especially ones like AA - though get in quick before they become Simpler & Fairer too! If this flexibility is of interest to you then I'd argue the free flight with the Plat Edge more than offsets its annual fee. If the flexibility isn't off interest and you'd like to stick with QFF, I'd recommend staying with the ANZ blk you have.

Of course like the other posters have said, if you are interested in a referral, to get the full 120,000 MR points on offer, I'd be very happy to provide one. Points would go to good use, I promise :)

Good luck with your decision! I personally recommend the Plat Charge, but only for the right person!

The Entertainment book 5% off woolies wish cards while still earning the 3 MR points per dollar is pretty attractive. I believe this still works but haven't tested recently....

It does. Although I'm buying fewer WISH cards since moving supermarket spend from WW to Coles, Dan Murphy's is also a good use of them
If you want Qantas points, the best for supermarket earn is the David Jones Amex

In my opinion if you are wedded to QFF (or Velocity for that matter) the Platinum Charge isn't a particularly good choice (esp given the cost!) due to its lower earning potential. If you only use one of these programs you are better off with a high earning branded card, like the ANZ blk you have.

The real benefits of the Plat Charge is the flexibility and variety of transfer partners it provides. Especially ones like AA - though get in quick before they become Simpler & Fairer too! If this flexibility is of interest to you then I'd argue the free flight with the Plat Edge more than offsets its annual fee. If the flexibility isn't off interest and you'd like to stick with QFF, I'd recommend staying with the ANZ blk you have.

I travel a fair bit OS at the moment for work, + a bit for leisure. 3pts per hotel, 2pts for foreign currency are both pretty big portions of my spend. Add good hotel memberships, and AMEX lounge access + PP lounge, and it makes sense regardless of QF/VA. Additional J/F discount pricing with QF partner airlines (think there was at least 1 there), and hopefully even that comes out ahead..

I travel a fair bit OS at the moment for work, + a bit for leisure. 3pts per hotel, 2pts for foreign currency are both pretty big portions of my spend. Add good hotel memberships, and AMEX lounge access + PP lounge, and it makes sense regardless of QF/VA. Additional J/F discount pricing with QF partner airlines (think there was at least 1 there), and hopefully even that comes out ahead..

Based on this, I'd say the Platinum Charge is probably a good fit for you. Think about getting the Plat Edge as well if you are keen to up your pp$ at the supermarket, as I said the free flight more than cover the annual fee (and you get lounge access via the plat charge :D).

As you rightly point out the PP lounge access and hotel memberships are pretty handy when you travel (not much use that PP membership back home of course).

If it's any help I'm finding the plat charge to be really good - personal opinion only of course!

I am using the Amex travel service as my travel agent more. The Centurion lounges are better than most international business lounges. I use it for a lot of overseas spend as that is all 2 ppd and the exchange rate seems to actually be pretty decent even with the commission. Better than the bank gives me on money transfer. Used the concierge but they aren't so good. I get a lot of points on local hero shopper when you get a bonus point. So my favorite local restaurant j get 4ppd at. The status was handy when I didn't have it but found it more useful to have my dad as a card holder and give him the excess benefits where I could. Think he got pp, spg gold and accor plat.

Sorry, can I ask for clarification re: 3MR points earned with Woolies wish card purchases? As I already do 90% groceries + 99% petrol expenditure currently on 5% off wish cards, it'll sway me into getting the Platinum charge card. So, AMEX considers wish card purchases from Entertainment Book "restaurant" and therefore gives 3MR points?!

Sorry, can I ask for clarification re: 3MR points earned with Woolies wish card purchases? As I already do 90% groceries + 99% petrol expenditure currently on 5% off wish cards, it'll sway me into getting the Platinum charge card. So, AMEX considers wish card purchases from Entertainment Book "restaurant" and therefore gives 3MR points?!

Not at all. They are considered supermarkets because the merchant is Woolworths (takes you there via a portal). The edge gets 3ppd, the charge gets only 1. You can no longer get a charge with the edge, you will have to apply separately.

Also to get the 3 MR points for the discounted WISH gift cards you need the Edge (only 1 MR on the Plat Charge) and you need to purchase them through the Ent Book portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back