Amex Platinum Charge Card Travel Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlob

There has been a couple of threads here in the last little while where card holders have had issues with making claims to Ace with the included Charge card travel insurance.

I would like to hear more. Who here relies solely on this travel insurance for OS? Im about to head to Hawaii with my family of 4 for three weeks. All flights have been reward tickets. Combination of QFF and velocity. Accommodation/ car hire has been paid for with this Amex. (At least the accommodation I had to pre pay), but I am getting last minute jitters and wondering if I should purchase travel insurance.

There has been a couple of threads here in the last little while where card holders have had issues with making claims to Ace with the included Charge card travel insurance.

I would like to hear more. Who here relies solely on this travel insurance for OS? Im about to head to Hawaii with my family of 4 for three weeks. All flights have been reward tickets. Combination of QFF and velocity. Accommodation/ car hire has been paid for with this Amex. (At least the accommodation I had to pre pay), but I am getting last minute jitters and wondering if I should purchase travel insurance.

The insurance doesn't cover your family members. Unless you have a really large bank balance to cover any unexpected medical bills, I'd get TI

Apologies advice above is wrong. It's supplementary card holders that aren't covered.
I don't rely on my Amex insurance but there are people who do.

Really? I knew it didn't cover a supplementary card holder when travelling but it is my understanding it covers the card holder, their spouse and their kids?

AFAIK you are only covered if you buy the airline tickets with the card.
Definitely you need to read the T&C, I always do before assume I am Covered.

Phew. Just checked terms and rang to double check. We are all covered. But still keen to hear of any other thoughts as to why we shouldn't rely on this insurance . Or should!

AFAIK you are only covered if you buy the airline tickets with the card.
Definitely you need to read the T&C, I always do before assume I am Covered.
Luckily with the charge card award seats are covered as long as fees and charges were paid with the charge card.

Have read the terms but Im still keen to hear personal experience of card members.

Last edited:
The insurance doesn't cover your family members. Unless you have a really large bank balance to cover any unexpected medical bills, I'd get TI

Apologies advice above is wrong. It's supplementary card holders that aren't covered.
I don't rely on my Amex insurance but there are people who do.

Thanks for the clarification Princess. I know you are a frequent traveller. Are you relying on another card's insurance or paying for cover. If you don't mind me asking!

Phew. Just checked terms and rang to double check. We are all covered. But still keen to hear of any other thoughts as to why we shouldn't rely on this insurance . Or should!

Thanks for the clarification Princess. I know you are a frequent traveller. Are you relying on another card's insurance or paying for cover. If you don't mind me asking!

I have an annual TI policy that's paid for as part of my Union fees

Hmm will be testing this out shortly. Son felt sick in the last day or two and we're due to fly out at 1845...:shock:

Hmm will be testing this out shortly. Son felt sick in the last day or two and we're due to fly out at 1845...:shock:

sorry to hear about your son mini2. Hope he gets well quick and keep us posted!

I had to deal with Ace after MrsDaver6's accident in Namibia. The policy was from my Qantas Ultimate Amex card activated by paying the (significant) taxes and surcharges for our OW 208k J flights. From someone who used to work in the insurance industry, he gave the policy a 7/10.

The accident happened on a quad bike and that's an exclusion. I don't have an issue with that. What I do have a major issue with is how Ace handled it. From the start they knew the cause of the accident. While in a foreign country, dealing with MrsDaver6 having emergency spinal surgery and just generally having the most stressful weak of my life, Ace were useless. They assured me that would contact the hospital and not to worry about paying anything. In the mean time I had the hospital hounding me saying Ace hadn't been in touch etc. Just extra stress I didn't need. I had to email all sorts of documents etc. Then after about five days of this they informed me we aren't covered due to the exclusion. Given this information was presented to them within a few hours of the accident and mentioned many times, why they couldn't have just told me from the beginning is beyond me. Honestly, the extra hassles going down the wrong path were horrendous.

That's my experience with them. My gripe isn't the level of cover (unless you specifically get something like quad biking included in a policy, any policy won't cover it), but how I was stuffed around at a very stressful time in my life.

I must admit I'm a bit cautious but I always take out an annual travel policy - a few hundred dollars won't matter when the cough hits the fan

Thank you VPS. Interesting read. After the resounding support (not!) for the included charge insurance I bought some. I was getting nervous. I had drilled a guy on the phone regarding sport activities and I didn't like the sound of surfing is ok as long as it wasn't considered 'extreme' in any way. I tried to get a definition of that and he started talking about patrolled beaches. My son and husband are planning to surf a lot and what they consider as normal surfing activity could easily be considered extreme by some. So I've gone elsewhere.

Got asked for letters/statements from the airlines/hotel to confirm flights/accommodation and no refund provided :shock:

The insurance doesn't cover your family members.

Wrong - your partner and dependent children aged 24 or under are covered (even if they are not travelling with you) under "Primary Card Member" as defined below...

Primary Card Member means:
1. the person who applied for the American Express Platinum Card Account
and who is issued an American Express Platinum Card Account as the
primary account holder; and
2. their husband, wife, fiance(e), de facto or life partner with whom they have
continuously cohabited for a period of six (6) months or more; and
3. their legally dependent children (including stepchildren or legally adopted
children) who are twenty-four (24) years of age or less and wholly
dependent on them for financial support.

Having said that, since the move to ACE the insurance cover has become really average IMHO - for $1,200/year one would expect a much more solid travel insurance cover, having to deal with ACE is the cherry on the cake, here are some horror stories: http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ace-leisure-travel-insurance.html

Got asked for letters/statements from the airlines/hotel to confirm flights/accommodation ....

That's normal, in my experience, in order to support your claim.

More like I'm surprised they haven't sat on it for weeks before asking for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back