Amex Plat Insurance - Redemption flights not covered

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmal

Intern
Was in the process of booking a J CX flight to AMS with points (through QF) and thought I'd better check if I was covered by insurance of my Amex Plat charge card when I was to pay the taxes. With all the recent charges I really wasn't sure what the coverage was like.

Called Amex who put me through to ACE and they said I am NOT covered unless I could prove that ALL the points were transferred from the Amex card (membership rewards) to redeem the flights, not just from my QF FF account.

Seems a bit different to how it used to be. Has anyone had similar experience, or can disprove this?
I ended up putting the taxes on my QF Ultimate as it seems to cover me then, but I realise the cover isn't as good.

Previously it didn't really matter because you were always covered with the Plat Charge no matter if you paid for the flight full, partial or not at all!

What's interesting is the statement about "unless you can proof that all the points were transferred from AMEX Rewards program". I mean the first question I'd have is "over what time frame?" Surely over the years you have transferred hundreds of thousands of points into QF.

Once the points are in the QF pool you can't distinguish if they are AMEX points or QF points or who knows from where. So how are you to proof that the points you used for this trip are the ones you transferred from AMEX????

It sounds like they are using the loopholes to get out of their responsibilities. I would and could not trust this as a travel insurance anymore.

+1 to aschmid. Adding more and more clauses just makes me think of the number of people that will get tripped up and then be left high and dry in the event they need the insurance. Even with the devaluation of the earnings for some of the platinum cards - 3x points for their LIST of restaurants. I mean, come on really - who the heck has the time to consult a massive list of restaurants every time they pick a place to eat, decide which card to use?

Same thing, recently booked a scoot flight - they don't accept amex -- at all
Another reason not to renew.

I think I may be the only person left to keep the plat charge :)

Mine will be going at the end of the current year. Just not worth anywhere near the $900.00.

Maybe they need to have a similar rule as the Citibank Gold cards - tansfer minimum 15k points to the FF program then make the booking within 30 days of the transfer.

Has worked well for me. Only had to buy travel insurance a couple of times over the last 10 years when I didn't have quite enough points to transfer.

Did anyone actually asked ACE what evidence they would accept for such a prove?

Did anyone actually asked ACE what evidence they would accept for such a prove?

Yes. See the thread regarding 'enhancements' to the Platinum Charge card.

ACE told me they just need proof of the points being transferred at some point... ie you have a flight on QF that cost 120,000 points, then you need to show you have transferred 120,000 MR points from Amex over time in order to be covered.

It doesn't matter what you have in your QF account to begin with etc.

Yes. See the thread regarding 'enhancements' to the Platinum Charge card.

ACE told me they just need proof of the points being transferred at some point... ie you have a flight on QF that cost 120,000 points, then you need to show you have transferred 120,000 MR points from Amex over time in order to be covered.

It doesn't matter what you have in your QF account to begin with etc.

Thanks for that. I guess a FFP statement that shows points are transferred from Amex will do the job?

It can be a hassle if it has to be something that Amex issues with letterhead and a authorized signature.

Thanks for that. I guess a FFP statement that shows points are transferred from Amex will do the job?

It can be a hassle if it has to be something that Amex issues with letterhead and a authorized signature.

I can't see that this would be required...

Your MR account shows redemption details and your QF statement will also show the points being credited in...

Interesting. So if you transfer 119,000 MR points, use 1,000 QF points and pay $800 fees with your AMEX card -> Sorry you are not covered!

Interesting. So if you transfer 119,000 MR points, use 1,000 QF points and pay $800 fees with your AMEX card -> Sorry you are not covered!

As the consequences can be very expensive (maybe a major accident in the US with astronomical medical bills) I am looking forward to the first person taking this stupidity on in a court of law as inequitable. My law is rusty but I'd at least like a discussion with a lawyer if I were affected. The adverse publicity for Amex will make the cost of paying up look a pittance. It won't be me however as I won't risk relying on Amex insurance. All up I hope this comes back to bite American Express.

aschmid,...This is an interesting point..what if you buy points to cover a flight,pay tax & fees on Amex......are you covered???

M.P.

On the same basis if you paid the agent a $100 deposit on Mastercard, then balance on Amex, you are not covered....

The new rules are very very strict, making the new insurance near worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back