Amex Plat Charge Travel Insurance

nuthq

Intern
Hey All :)

I need some wisdom and guidance. I am heading to Europe in a few weeks, SQ business class using KrisFlyer miles. Some of the balance of KrisFlyer miles needed were transferred from my Amex account in order to redeem for the flights, but not all, as I had some KrisFlyer miles sitting there already. My question is, which Chubb don't seem to want to answer, is does the WHOLE redemption have to be from KrisFlyer miles that were redeemed via Amex? (I also paid the fees and taxes on the amex card as well, about $550) this is what Chubb say:

As previously mentioned, please be advised that Subject to the full terms, conditions and Exclusions of the policy, if You are going on an International Return Trip, You must pay the full amount of Your outbound ticket for a Scheduled Flight or Scheduled Cruise leaving Australia on Your:

i. American Express Card Account;

ii. corresponding American Express Membership Rewards points or frequent flyer points (where applicable); and/or

iii. Travel Benefit

We only need you to pay the full amount of your outbound ticket, which is the first leg of your trip, leaving Australia to your destination, using the membership rewards points you have earned from using your Amex card, which was converted to Kris Flyer points or Frequent Flyer points to be eligible.

Only if the Kris Flyer points were converted from the membership rewards points you have accumulated from using your card, will provide you with eligibility.

It is that last bit that concerns me as it was not a 100% MR transfer to KrisFlyer (i.e. I did not transfer 464k Amex points to equate to the required 232k KrisFlyer miles, I only transferred 274k Amex points which is 137k KrisFlyer miles)

Am I covered?

No experience with AmEx "Platinum", but on a previous occasion AmEx insurance rejected my claim as they wanted proof the "all" points and $$ had been paid by the AmEx card (like you I had used the card to pay for $$ and some of the points needed for the flight, but all all the points).

"...You must pay the full amount of Your outbound ticket...". As a reward ticket is paid partly by $$ and partly by points, all components of the payment must come from the AmEx card for you to have the cover.

Our flight has been cancelled and new flight changed to the next day.

Does travel inconvenience insurance cover clothing? (Eg. Run out clean clothes, it's the flight flying back home)
Or only cover accommodation and food??

Our flight has been cancelled and new flight changed to the next day.

Does travel inconvenience insurance cover clothing? (Eg. Run out clean clothes, it's the flight flying back home)
Or only cover accommodation and food??
I think it is safe to assume it only covers food, accommodation and *possibly* transfers… if for example you didn’t know about the cancellation, and turned up at the airport anyway.

You should also look first to the airline to see if they cover the food and accommodation.

In most cases wearing your current clothes for an extra day would be reasonable… so no allowances for that. But check the PDS. If you have already checked your bag in and can’t get it back, you could possibly buy some incidentals… like a t-shirt and some underwear. Again, it might be easier to claim those from the airline.

I think it is safe to assume it only covers food, accommodation and *possibly* transfers… if for example you didn’t know about the cancellation, and turned up at the airport anyway.

You should also look first to the airline to see if they cover the food and accommodation.

In most cases wearing your current clothes for an extra day would be reasonable… so no allowances for that. But check the PDS. If you have already checked your bag in and can’t get it back, you could possibly buy some incidentals… like a t-shirt and some underwear. Again, it might be easier to claim those from the airline.
Thanks. That sounds make sense. We got too excited and carried away. And went buy clean clothes. 🤦‍♂️ 😅

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back