AMEX Plat Charge questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wozz

Intern
Hi guys - looking at AMEX Plat charge again. Few questions:

1) Ascent Premium earn rate - I saw a referral link (With the 10k referral bonus) where the page states:

As a member of Ascent Premium - our highest tier of rewards - you'll earn up to 3 Membership Rewards points[SUP]4[/SUP] per dollar spent on your Card

1. - 3 points per dollar spent[SUP]4[/SUP] at restaurants in Australia listed here
    1. Airlines, accommodation, major cruise and tour operators paid directly or through travel agents listed here
    2. Spend in foreign currency when overseas and online[SUP]4[/SUP]
  2. - 2 points per dollar spent[SUP]4[/SUP]
    1. All other providers, excluding those below
  3. - 0.5 points per dollar spent[SUP]4[/SUP]
    1. Utilities which are gas, water and electricity providers
    2. Insurance offered by companies other than American Express
    3. Telecommunication providers which includes goods and services purchased from phone, mobile and internet service providers
    4. Government bodies including the Australian Taxation Office, Australia Post, federal/state and local government bodies
Which is different from what they currently have on their website: https://www.americanexpress.com/au/...v=au_menu_cards_pc_plat_rcp&filter=platseries

I suspect it might be an old link but if it is indeed 3pts per $ overseas spend + online that's pretty sweet.

2) I read that you can by MR pt for $25 per 1000 pts - are there any restrictions/limit to that?

What you've listed in bold is a mistake, the real earn rate is what's listed on their website. Unfortunately!

Don't forget that the AU Amex Platinum card has a 3% foreign transaction currency conversion fee.

So if I get a HKG issued Amex Plat, I get free foreign transactions? What exchange rate would they use?

Yes. It'll just use the Amex-adjusted interbank rate to the local currency (HKD). I have a US issued Amex Plat that I use when travelling for points without forex. It converts all transactions into USD at the exchange rate at time of purchase. At the end of the month I send money to my US bank account and pay the statement in USD.

Edit: HK Amex Platinum Credit Card has a 2% foreign transaction fee (link). Not sure about the Charge card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back