AMEX Plat Car Rental Cover

Ktan89

Hi guys, does the complimentary insurance cover rental car already if i'm renting a car overseas and have paid my return flights with AMEX Platinum?
Or do I need to use the AMEX card to book the rental car too? I was thinking of paying the rental with another card without FX fees.

Hi guys, does the complimentary insurance cover rental car already if i'm renting a car overseas and have paid my return flights with AMEX Platinum?
Or do I need to use the AMEX card to book the rental car too? I was thinking of paying the rental with another card without FX fees.
Yes. No need to use amex to pay for anything except the airfares.

Yes. No need to use amex to pay for anything except the airfares.
This isn't correct. This only applies for Travel Insurance Cover but not Loss Damage Waiver Cover (Rental Excess Insurance).

Refer to page 7, Loss Damage Waiver Cover, Eligibility Criteria specifies that the entire cost of the rental vehicle must be paid via Amex Card Account, MR points or Travel Benefit.

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 12.05.25 am.png

This isn't correct. This only applies for Travel Insurance Cover but not Loss Damage Waiver Cover (Rental Excess Insurance).

Refer to page 7, Loss Damage Waiver Cover, Eligibility Criteria specifies that the entire cost of the rental vehicle must be paid via Amex Card Account, MR points or Travel Benefit.

View attachment 285627
Ah, Looks like they have changed the T&Cs.

What a huge down grade to what it use to be
I think this has been the case for some years, just the full car hire charge seems to be new. Plus their CC TI has tightened up on other things and now no pre-existing medical is accepted. However amex have good airfare discounts for emirates and others, and you don’t get hit with cc surcharge or currency conversion if you book through amex.

This cover is USELESS if you are in Israel - Hertz Israel (Kesher) from whom I always rent from understand US Amex cards have this cover, and you can avoid paying things like Super CDW etc With outr Aussie cards, Hertz Israel want a letter from Amex/Chubb specifically saying cover is provided in Israel. Amex/Chubb wont do this (even though Amex USA will!!!),c so you have to pay the CDW insurance. Its like a lot of things from Amex AU/Chubb - lots of hot air with no real substance. The rest of the complimentary Platinum Charge trave linsurance is good though

Is it necessary to have airfare booked? My understanding is as long as you have spent atleast A$500 related to trip costs - flight, hotel, activities etc on your Amex then you are covered by Amex Insurance.
Some amex cards used to do that but I don’t believe that’s the case anymore, not with Amex platinum. As I understand it, you need to book the airfares on the card to activate insurance. We did. Read the T&C I suggest.

Some amex cards used to do that but I don’t believe that’s the case anymore, not with Amex platinum. As I understand it, you need to book the airfares on the card to activate insurance. We did. Read the T&C I suggest.
Thanks. I had explorer before so may be that was a T&C of that. I’ve just started using biz Plat, so will read up.

Seems travel insurance cover on Biz Plat is very generous, per my read it seems there is no qualifying spend required to activate the travel insurance cover. Too good to be true, bet they would have sneaked in some T&C in fine print. The LDW seems to have same condition across the 2 variants.

1659666777414.png

1659667301647.png

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back