Amex "I'm going to cancel my card" - bonus points given thread. | Page 72 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Amex "I'm going to cancel my card" - bonus points given thread.

jules.

Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
American Express live chat: "As per government policy there is no retention offer any more". Apparently introduced in January 2019?

This was for my American Express Explorer. Had to resort to live chat as I couldn't get through to anyone on the phone - "we are unavailable but here for you 24/7".

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Another data point. Renewal fee for my QF Ultimate card is due. Called up and did the cancellation dance. No points offered. I'm sort of wed to Amex with this card at the moment. I've got a refund for a Covid cancelled flight being processed which also includes the $450 travel credit. I can't see that I'd be able to get that back if I no longer hold the card.

TheRealTMA

Established Member
Another data point. Renewal fee for my QF Ultimate card is due. Called up and did the cancellation dance. No points offered. I'm sort of wed to Amex with this card at the moment. I've got a refund for a Covid cancelled flight being processed which also includes the $450 travel credit. I can't see that I'd be able to get that back if I no longer hold the card.
Yes you will. After you cancel, you’ll get a credit on the card then have to withdraw as CA or spend it. But the travel credit is an issue. These are not refundable AFAIK.

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Yes you will. After you cancel, you’ll get a credit on the card then have to withdraw as CA or spend it. But the travel credit is an issue. These are not refundable AFAIK.
I should have been clearer. I'm not concerned about the monetary component. It's the travel credit. I can't even be bothered looking into what might be possible. I'll just keep the card. It pays for itself with the travel credit anyway.

adamphosho

I called today to explore what options they could provide to encourage me to keep my Plat Charge card another year. I wasn't offered any decrease in annual fee or bonus points. All they could offer was using 200k MR to pay for the annual fee. 0.725c/MR, not great. Bit on the fence with cancelling, will think a bit more about it

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I called today to explore what options they could provide to encourage me to keep my Plat Charge card another year. I wasn't offered any decrease in annual fee or bonus points. All they could offer was using 200k MR to pay for the annual fee. 0.725c/MR, not great. Bit on the fence with cancelling, will think a bit more about it
That's a fantastic offer! You can currently use MR on the plat charge to pay off expenses at a rate of 1k points = $10 instead of the usual $5.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maria Jessica Ryerson