Amex "I'm going to cancel my card" - bonus points given thread. | Page 64 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Amex "I'm going to cancel my card" - bonus points given thread.

Haplo

Holding edge, reverse and charge. Called up to cancel edge and wasnt offered anything to reopen the card.

Cancelled the card as without any reduction in annual fee I wasnt prepared to pay for a card that I will no longer use.

Ktan89

GF's Velocity platinum - called this morning, got through to Manila. No offer presented through reinstatement.
We reactivated the card since i could use the free flight and she can use the complimentary insurance in a few months.

Oh i forgot, they did offer her to change the card to Amex Escape Velocity card with no annual fee..

kkl

How long till Amex treats your credit file as a new customer? Or generates a new customer number? Was told 6 months ??

not fussed on the signup bonus.

SOPOOR

Established Member
my fee I thought was due end of jan, actually confirmed its due early feb

tried today for a retention bonus,
got through to phillipines, got the according to australian law, its illegal speech

will try again

• Sad
Reactions: Ade

Ade

my fee I thought was due end of jan, actually confirmed its due early feb

tried today for a retention bonus,
got through to phillipines, got the according to australian law, its illegal speech

will try again
Look forward to hearing fro you. My fee is due Mar 2020. Keen to know if they're offering any sort of retention bonus or "cancel now and I'll see what I can do" bonus

Irishbazz

Flights
My Map
Explorer annual fee posted, rang up gave the devaluation not worth keeping the card speech, offered the usual no fee card, went ahead and cancelled asked for a reinstatement bonus told I had received retention bonuses in the past and nothing was available at this time. Then in a huff got them to cancel the Plat edge as well, so Amex free for the next eighteen months.

Reactions: DC3

Dr Ralph

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Explorer annual fee posted, rang up gave the devaluation not worth keeping the card speech, offered the usual no fee card, went ahead and cancelled asked for a reinstatement bonus told I had received retention bonuses in the past and nothing was available at this time. Then in a huff got them to cancel the Plat edge as well, so Amex free for the next eighteen months.
You just have to be prepared to do this.

18 months seems like a long time, but think about how many other cards you can churn in that time.

foggy

I may have to do the same given that now the statement credits are mostly targeted.
I will have to do a calculation to see whether or not I'm still getting more than the annual fees back with statement credits but otherwise I think I will be joining you.

Dr Ralph

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I may have to do the same given that now the statement credits are mostly targeted.
I will have to do a calculation to see whether or not I'm still getting more than the annual fees back with statement credits but otherwise I think I will be joining you.
After rejoining in September I have received 95% of the targeted offers as a new customer. Factor this into your decision.

mini2

Like everyone else, called to cancel the cards, no retention offered and can't re-instate the card even if I've made a mistake. Felt liberating. The lack of offers recently certainly encouraged this and I'll be Amex free come January when the Edge is up for renewal.

Welsh-Kiwi

I have a Platinum Edge. Called up last night to ask about a retention bonus. Was told these are not available anymore as the laws have changed in Australia. “That’s OK” I said, I’m in New Zealand. 11,000 points offered - the best they could do apparently. Points accepted.

foggy

Like everyone else, called to cancel the cards, no retention offered and can't re-instate the card even if I've made a mistake. Felt liberating. The lack of offers recently certainly encouraged this and I'll be Amex free come January when the Edge is up for renewal.
So you can't re-instate? i thought you could... has that changed now too?

mini2

So you can't re-instate? i thought you could... has that changed now too?
I've asked twice during the call and it's a no on both occasion.

Amex could learn a thing or three from Amazon from a customer service, retention and service recovery perspectives...

Ken1

I have Platinum Charge, Reserve and Explorer cards. My Explorer annual fee is due at the end of this month so I called to cancel it last week since I put all spend on the Charge since the devaluation last April. I was speaking to someone in the Australian call centre. After I asked for it be to cancelled I asked if there were any points bonuses to retain it and he said he looked and because of my long term Amex membership (1983) and good record he normally would see an offer there but nothing was showing.

Mr_Orange

Established Member
Flights
My Map
I have Platinum Charge, Reserve and Explorer cards. My Explorer annual fee is due at the end of this month so I called to cancel it last week since I put all spend on the Charge since the devaluation last April. I was speaking to someone in the Australian call centre. After I asked for it be to cancelled I asked if there were any points bonuses to retain it and he said he looked and because of my long term Amex membership (1983) and good record he normally would see an offer there but nothing was showing.
Time to repay their 'loyalty' then......

albyd

Established Member
I'm tempted to give it a try with my Explorer but concerned they may have no offer. Was told that I wouldn't be able to reinstate it for "change of mind". Is that the case? Thought if we changed our mind on the same call, it would be reinstated. I've seen the travel credit hit. Tempted to just downgrade it to Essentials as I've put all my spending on charge post April Devaluation. Might not get an offer due to substantial fall in spend levels.

Dr Ralph

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I'm tempted to give it a try with my Explorer but concerned they may have no offer. Was told that I wouldn't be able to reinstate it for "change of mind". Is that the case? Thought if we changed our mind on the same call, it would be reinstated. I've seen the travel credit hit. Tempted to just downgrade it to Essentials as I've put all my spending on charge post April Devaluation. Might not get an offer due to substantial fall in spend levels.
I've always been told by AMEX in the past that I had 30 days or thereabouts if I change my mind the card could be reinstated.

• Agree

AFF on Air Podcast

• Life as a Road Warrior – AIR028
    Sat, 25 Jan 2020 08:36:07 AEDT
      Ever wondered what it's like to be a road warrior, flying from Melbourne to Sydney every week or internationally multiple times each month? On this episode, AFF member "Sp ...
  • Indian Pacific & Other Epic Train Journeys – AIR027
    Sat, 11 Jan 2020 02:31:00 AEDT
      In this episode, we take a brief detour from the aviation discussion to talk about train travel! There's something nice - perhaps even romantic - about long-distance train ...
  • Status Runs – AIR026
    Sat, 14 Dec 2019 07:15:21 AEDT
      If you're a little bit short of the next airline status tier, a status run can get you over the line. In this episode, learn about the best status runs with Virgin Austral ...
  • British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KateV