Amex fraud department [Can't redeem flights]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaktusdigital

hi all,

my mum recently called to redeem her free flight on her Amex Velocity platinum card. when she dialed in, she was sent directly to the fraud department where she was told a member of the fraud department would contact her. They wouldn't disclose anything about what the matter was about etc. She found it very strange as we hardly use the card and there's no suspicious activity on the statements. Any ideas what this is about? rather frustrating as they haven't called back, nor can she book that flight shes been wanting to. so the account is virtually blocked from a management point of view, but we can still make purchases on the card as per normal.

If it makes any difference, she just got a new amex explorer card too.

Thank you.

Had there been any gc purchased? A similar thing happened to me when I rec'd a new card and immediately went out and tried to buy some gc. The fraud dept blocked the card for a long 48 hours (as I was missing out on the gc purchases).

hi all,

my mum recently called to redeem her free flight on her Amex Velocity platinum card. when she dialed in, she was sent directly to the fraud department where she was told a member of the fraud department would contact her. They wouldn't disclose anything about what the matter was about etc. She found it very strange as we hardly use the card and there's no suspicious activity on the statements. Any ideas what this is about? rather frustrating as they haven't called back, nor can she book that flight shes been wanting to. so the account is virtually blocked from a management point of view, but we can still make purchases on the card as per normal.

If it makes any difference, she just got a new amex explorer card too.

Thank you.

No GC purchases. In fact there's been little to no activity on the velocity plat card. Surely one card account doesn't affect the other? Only thing is with the explorer card (as I'm a supp card holder) i did make a 1.3k purchase before my mum used her card.

Yep, that what I got when they put it on 'hold' due to the possible fraud of my activity on a new card. All be revealed in due course. ;) Frustrating as you cannot influence it whilst that review happens.

tried calling again this morning - "card account is under review" whatever that means...

yup you're right, thank you for your experience on the matter :) appreciate it.
Yep, that what I got when they put it on 'hold' due to the possible fraud of my activity on a new card. All be revealed in due course. ;) Frustrating as you cannot influence it whilst that review happens.

I had this using a supplementary card for my wife's Explorer card at Bunnings on the weekend when trying to hit the min spend quickly.

Used it at the trade desk first with no problems then went to do another large purchase at the normal self service till and it wouldn't go through.

It was my wife's account and when she called on another unrelated manner they asked if she had used her card at Bunnings as they suspected it was fraud. The annoying part is they did not contact her at any stage.

Never had this happen before, any time I have had cards with other providers used for suspect transactions (usually overseas when I am not) you get a SMS or call.

That's what I found annoying too, that you can't talk to the fraud dept about it and if you ask why didn't they just call me and ask if I'd used it seeing as they have all my details, there is no answer.

The annoying part is they did not contact her at any stage.

Never had this happen before, any time I have had cards with other providers used for suspect transactions (usually overseas when I am not) you get a SMS or call.

My SO who never remembers her pin always gets her purchases approved. I get a simultaneous email saying if it is not legit to contact them immediately. Clearly their fraud protection systems are fairly sophisticated

Yeah their system is so sophisticated that one of my cards was used in Spain, France and Marrakech within a 30 minutes timeframe yet they thought it's me in person...

tried calling again this morning - "card account is under review" whatever that means...

so it seems since we haven't used it for a long time, the account went into lock down mode. apparently was hinted that ' go buy something' and call back, we'll have it sorted by then.
glad it wasn't anything serious, just our stinginess. ;)

I always change the pin to something I can remember. ;) I have set up a text from AMEX for anything >$99.

My SO who never remembers her pin always gets her purchases approved. I get a simultaneous email saying if it is not legit to contact them immediately. Clearly their fraud protection systems are fairly sophisticated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back