AMEX Explorer Card: 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards points (apply by 20/9/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFlyer

Established Member
AMEX has updated its Explorer Card referral sign-on bonus as of today: now when you apply for a new Explorer card by September 20 2017, you can earn 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards Gateway points after spending at least $1,500 on the card within the first three months!

I applied for this card recently using a referral link of a fellow AFF member (enjoy those bonus points, Dr Ralph!), and have to say I'm loving this card, and would appreciate any fellow AFFers 'paying it forward' by applying using my referral link.

Those 100,000 points translate into 75,000 frequent flyer points/miles with Virgin Australia, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Etihad, Malaysia Airlines and Thai Airways, to $750 Air New Zealand Airpoints Dollars, to 100,000 Hilton Honors points, or to 50,000 Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) Starpoints (which can then be transferred onward to a host of other programs including American Airlines AAdvantage, British Airways Executive Club and more).

The card has a $395 annual fee, but that's more than offset by the benefits enjoyed:

• Receive a $400 travel credit every year to spend on flights, hotel bookings and more - so if you were already planning to spend $400 on travel over the next year, the card literally pays for itself, and then some!
  • Enjoy two free visits to the American Express lounge at Sydney Airport each year, regardless of which airline you're flying (perfect if you're flying in economy or your airline's own lounge is full!)
  • Earn 2 Membership Rewards Gateway points per dollar spent on most charges which are equal to 1.5 airline frequent flyer points per dollar spent when converted to the programs above at a 4:3 rate. They're also equal to 2 Hilton HHonors points or 1 SPG Starpoint. (On government spend such as ATO payments, you can also earn 1 Gateway point per $2 spent.)
  • No points capping or tiering, so you'll continue to earn points and at the full rates, regardless of how much you spend
  • Buy your next smartphone using this card or use it to pay for your monthly contact and you could be covered by free smartphone screen insurance
  • Add an additional cardholder for free, such as your partner or spouse, to maximise your points (all points earned go to your account, getting you your next free flight even faster!)
  • Link your card to Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Android Pay for easy smartphone payments wherever AMEX contactless payments are accepted, including at major retailers like Coles and Woolworths
  • It's also quite a pretty card. :p

So, what are you waiting for?

You can apply here today!

I hope you've found my summary helpful!
When you apply via my referral link, I'll receive a bonus 30,000 Gateway points if you're approved and you can receive 100,000 points in total, so much like an Uber referral it's a win-win!

Although AMEX is also now offering 100,000 bonus points for direct applicants, using a referral link such as this one can sometimes help you earn bonus points that you may not otherwise be entitled to - such as if you're an existing AMEX cardholder or have been recently (this has been discussed in a number of AFF threads). :)

Last edited:
IT'S BACK!
Amex have increased the sign on points for the American Express Explorer Card again.

The sign on bonus of 100,000 Gateway points is the same if you are referred or not, however if you use a referral as a referrer I will get 30,000 bonus points.

Love this card, and with 100,000 sign on points this is still a great offer. I am loving the 1SPG point per $ spent. But plenty of value to be had with 1.5 airline miles per $. But when you pair this card with the Platinum Edge or Platinum Charge and get 2 MR points per $, the card combination becomes unbeatable!

There is plenty of great info on getting the best out of this card on this site. I managed to unlink and relink my Gateway and Ascent programs as an existing cardholder and then get 2 airline points/miles per $1 spent after that. I am also excited about transferring to SPG then Marriott for their flights and stay offers, Alaskan Airline miles here we come.

This is fluid situation though, so best to read up on the most recent posts on this thread.
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...mex-77925.html (The Explorer Credit Card (New AMEX Card!)) (The Explorer Credit Card (New AMEX Card!))

I wanted to share a tip to anyone signing up for this card to derive even more value from the card. If you find this useful I'd very much appreciate you using my referral link:
http://amex.com.au/refer/jameshw5zV

It is possible to add yourself as a supplementary card holder, I just did this with Amex. When you add yourself as a supplementary card holder it is called an "Account Card" or "A/C" card. I have one of these on my Gold Charge card as well. I did this with my initials rather than full name to tell the cards apart. It is possible to have all 4 free supplementary cards in your own name.

Why would you do this?

1. When I called up to add myself as my first of 4 free supplementary card holder I asked if they were still offering the 3,000 bonus points for adding an additional card holder. The lady went off and checked and said although the recent promo has ended, that it wasn't a problem and added the points. These points have already been added to my account and I haven't even used the card yet. The points were noted as "Service Complaint points adjustment", I didn't complain just asked!
2. One of the best things about Amex at the moment is their Statement Credit offers. I have saved a couple of thousand dollars from the cashbacks this year. Shop small, Harvey Norman, HCF, David Jones, Langtons, Westfield and Myer to name a few. Never hurts to have as many Supplementary cards as possible especially in your own name especially when this card comes with 4 free supplementaries.
3. The reason behind an A/C card is you set up all your direct debits on this card and then keep it safe at home somewhere separate from your other card/wallet. Then if you lose your wallet you don't need to change over all of your direct debits.

There are some great tips on this site on how to get the most out of this card, make sure you subscribe to these threads:

Amex Statement Credits have saved me thousands this year.
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...62256-291.html (New [Amex] statement credits) (New [Amex] statement credits) (New [Amex] statement credits)

For when your annual fee is approaching call and ask them "What have you done for me lately?" I got 84,000 points to keep my American Express Gold Charge Card. The annual fee is only $130!! I got the same offer on my Platinum Edge as well!!!
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...-71493-11.html (Amex "I'm going to cancel my card" - bonus points given thread.) (Amex "I'm going to cancel my card" - bonus points given thread.) (Amex "I'm going to cancel my card" - bonus points given thread.)

Hope everyone is able to get some value from the above. Any queries please let me know.

Sign up using a referral link, and you'll earn 100,000 points (as a referrer, I'll earn 30,000 points for each referral made).

http://amex.com.au/refer/jameshw5zV

• $400 travel credit for American Express Travel (book flights, car hire and hotels online - I've found AMEX competitive when compared to other major online travel booking engines) - (offsets the $395 annual fee)
  • The usual suite of insurances are provided, including Smartphone Screen Insurance when you pay for your phone / contract with AMEX (for up to $500 repairs).
  • 2 x invites to the AMEX Sydney International lounge are also on offer.
  • 4 free supplementary cards

Love this site, love this card!

This is a great card. I applied for this using someone's link here a few months ago.

Earn an impressive 100000 AMEX Gateway points which can be transferred to 75000 airline miles like Krisflyer or Asiamiles. (But not qantas).

I find transferring to SPG hotels (2:1) and then SPG to Marriott (1:3) to be good use of points towards hotel reward nights or 7-night hotel+airmile packages. So 100000 Gateway will give you 50000 SPG and then gives you 150000 Marriott.

As the referrer, I get 30000 points.

$395 annual fee is easily offset by the $400 travel credit.

here is my link if you wish to apply. Full benefits, terms and conditions can be found here:
http://amex.com.au/refer/xg81l

This card is very useful for general spend especially with the RBA interchange rate tweaking from 1 July.

100,000 bonus points are very useful and flexible with the number of conversion options.

A range of other benefits:

• $400 Travel Credit each year
  • 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent
  • Enjoy two entries per year to the American Express Lounge at SYD
  • Smartphone screen insurance

I originally signed up with a referral link from here and it would be great if anyone would like to use my referral link! I'll receive 30,000 points and more points means more chances to see my LDGF.

Need a holiday, or overdue for that honeymoon? Why not take a 7 night business class holiday to South East Asia?

100k sign-on bonus for the first card
100k sign-on bonus for the second card
30k referral bonus for referring your partner.
Total = 230k AMEX points = 115k SPG Points = 345k Marriott Rewards Points!

That's more than enough for a...

Marriott Travel Package: for only 270k Marriott points you can get 7 nights in a Marriott category 1-5 hotel & 132k United Miles - enough for 2x return business class flights to South Asia from Australia (need to redeem before the Nov 1 devaluation!) and still have 25k AMEX points left over!

So where could you go? Here's just a couple of examples:

Est. Hotel Cost
(if paid in cash)
Est. Flight cost
(if paid in cash)
Est. Total Value
Phu Quoc, Vietnam7JW Marriott Emerald Bay Resort & Spa$4,093$3,377 x2$10,847
Hua Hin, Thailand7Hua Hin Marriott Resort & Spa$1,529$3,860 x2$9,249
Rayong, Thailand7Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa$1,310$3,860 x2$9,030
Bali, Indonesia7Courtyard Bali Seminyak Resort$1,201$3,704 x2$8,609
The above flights were all with Thai Airways and on the dates I searched, award availability was good. Factoring in the ~$130pp of taxes for the award flights, there's some serious value to be had here!

So what does the Explorer card cost?

Annual Fee: $395 per card offset by the $400 travel credit - Just spend it on tours or a domestic holiday.

If this has provided any inspiration for your next holiday, it would be most appreciated if you used my referral link here: Apply Here!

Disclaimer: I earn 30k MR points for your successful application.

Last edited:
Sign-on bonus points back to 100,000 :D ... equivalent to 75k velocity or krisflyer points.

This is the default card I go to in my wallet, and with recent negative changes to bank-issued amex cards...it's great value

Here are the details of my referral. would greatly appreciate anyone using it!

Earn 2 Gateway reward points (equivalent to 1.5 velocity/krisflyer points ) spent per $1 (excl govt bodies - 0.5 gateway points per $. Although keep an eye out as some can be paid using Paypal via Postbillpay for the full earn rate).

Can be redeemed for : Asia Miles, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, Malaysian Airlines Enrich, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, THAI Royal Orchid Plus, Velocity Frequent Flyer or Air New Zealand Airpoints

Includes $400 travel credit (can be used on amex travel site for flights, hotels), frequent amex statement credits, 2 American Express Airport Lounge entries and smartphone screen insurance which more than cover the $395 annual fee.

Successful applicants will receive 100,000 gateway points after $1500. As referrer I recve 30,000 points.

Here's the link. Cheers

http://amex.com.au/refer/J02ie

American Express has done it again!

With this new(ish) card, it is offering 1.5 Airline Miles per dollar spent on most credit card purchases.

It gets even better, if you apply the card via Referral link below, you get 100000 Gateway Membership Rewards bonus points instead of usual 50000 bonus points that American Express offers. Please see the referral link below:

APPLY HERE

Now I would get 30000 points as a referrer. However you get many miles applying via the referral link above. Therefore it is a win win situation for everyone!

So officially 100000 Gateway Bonus Points equates to 75000 Airline Points, unless you already have American Express Ascent account, which you can potentially link the card to Ascent program (after earning bonus points) and it becomes 100000 Ascent points, or 100000 Airline points of the following programme:

- Virgin Australia Velocity
- Singapore Airlines Krisflyer
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Emirates Skywards
- Etihad Guest
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich

So what can minimum of 75000 Airline Miles get you (assuming no linking to Ascent program)? Here are some of the examples and possibilities:

Cathay Pacific Asia Miles:
- One-way Business Class trip from Sydney/Brisbane to Los Angeles on Qantas Airways (70000 Asia Miles + tax)
- Almost Return Business Class trip from Australia to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific (80000 Asia Miles + tax)
- Almost Return Business Class trip from Sydney to Tokyo on Japan Airlines (80000 Asia Miles + tax)
- Almost Return Business Class trip from Sydney/Brisbane to Tokyo on Qantas Airways (80000 Asia Miles + tax)

Singapore Krisflyer:
- One-way Business Class from Australia to Singapore/South East Asia/Hong Kong served by Singapore Airlines (58000 Krisflyer Miles + tax)
- Almost One-way First/Suite Class from Australia to Singapore/Hong Kong served by Singapore Airlines (80000 Krisflyer Miles + tax)

This is a fantastic deal! Just signing up the card and spend $1500 within first 3 months, and you get a free Business or almost First/Suites Class trip ticket with it! If you are interested, please apply via the following link:

APPLY HERE

Hello All,

I'm thrilled that this offer has been made again as it gives people a chance to get 100,000 Gateway points again from one simple application. My partner and I have both been able to take advantage of this offer in the past (including one referral bonus from me to my partner!).

I won't go into the details about the card as they are set out by others above but here are my key thoughts on the card:

1) 100,000 Gateway points (equivalent to 75,000 Krisflyer or Asia Miles) by using a referral link is a great way to start your point collection hobby. This is what I did and it provided me a great platform to reach my first award redemption (Singapore business class to the US and Japan this August). Without these points I would still be juggling Flybuys docket deals!

2) This card is a very useful card for everyday spend. At 2 points per dollar (equivalent 1.5 miles per dollar) you'll be racking up the points in no time. It's hard to earn points outside of Qantas and Velocity in Australia but this card will give you the option of earning in some other (in my view, better) FF programs like Krisflyer (Singapore Airlines) and Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific). I'm surprised at just how many places accept AMEX, in fact, almost all of my major credit card spend is now on my AMEX.

3) I use this card for all of my travel bookings to access the travel insurance benefits.

4) While the annual fee is annoying, the travel credit is not to difficult to use once you get the hang of it. I've been happy with the service from the AMEX travel people.

5) If you apply for this card, you too will be able to generate a referral link and possibly take advantage of the referral bonus of 30,000 points!

If you can't tell already I'm super happy with this card and it has opened up a lot of options for me. If you are thinking of applying for this card and have any questions, please feel free to PM me. If you're ready to apply then please consider using my referral link, you will receive the 100,000 point sign-on bonus and I will receive a 30,000 point referral bonus:

http://amex.com.au/refer/samuehe1xd

AMEX have stated that this offer ends on 20 September 2017

I am going to throw my hat in the new ring as well. Like everyone I am loving it combined with the Platinum Edge. If you use my link you will get 100K MR Gateway points and I will get 30K.

Cheers,

Steady

http://amex.com.au/refer/8Ld4B

Great SPG earning opportunity potential with this card. SPG opens up a number of opportunities with Marriott, AA, Alaska and many others. At 2 points per dollar spent at most places, you are getting 1.5 points per dollar spent, making this one of the highest earning cards out there.

$395 annual fee which is offset with the included $400 travel credit.

You will get 100k MR Gateway points and I will get 30k.

http://amex.com.au/refer/kennytrqr4

Happy hunting

Hi All,

Throwing my referral in the mix as well. Please help contribute to my New York accommodation points fund! I unfortunately did not get the bonus points myself when I applied so I am hoping some lovely souls can help me build up my balance!

If you use my referral link for the Amex Explorer card, you will receive 100,000 membership award points once you spend $1,500 and I will in turn receive 30,000 MR points as the referrer. If you don't have an Amex issued card then this is the card for you!

REFERRAL LINK HERE

This is an awesome card with many benefits and should be part of everyones card portfolio :p

The application takes into account the combined household income which is awesome

Hi all

Also throwing my referral link out there, to help out with funding a hotel in San Francisco later in the year, for a much needed holiday!
http://amex.com.au/refer/wesleed0nK?CPID=100204837

This is a great card, the $400 travel insurance covers the annual fee, plus you'll earn 100,000 membership rewards points after spending $1,500 in the first three months. However, one of my favourite features on the card is the smartphone screen insurance. Buy a new phone on your card, or pay your existing account for three months, and AMEX will cover the replacement of a cracked/damage screen twice a year (up to $500 per repair, with a 10% excess). I've already used this benefit twice this year alone.

You want this card! You need this card! Fee neutral with the $400 travel credit and a great earning rate (especially with the limitations placed recently on bank issued AMEX cards).

100,000 bonus points (after $1500 spend in the first 3 months) if you sign up via my referral link below (I’ll receive a 30,000 point bonus). Points can be transferred to a number of airline or hotel programmes and offer excellent value. As just one example I recently used 100,000 points I received to book 5 nights in San Francisco at the Marriott Hotel.

Sign up as soon as possible to ensure you have all 4 supplmentary cards in place (yes you can have up to 4 supplementary cards with this AMEX Explorer account) for forthcoming AMEX cash back offers, including the scheduled Smallshop promotion.

Referal link here:

http://amex.com.au/refer/davidneZSH

Offer ends September 28.

Note carefully: "Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for this offer. "

At 2 points per dollar spent at most places, you are getting 1.5 points per dollar spent or 2 points per $ if you have your platinum edge card linked. making this one of the highest earning cards out there.

$395 annual fee which is offset with the included $400 travel credit which can be used for flights, hotels, car hire , and experiences in Australia and overseas.

You will also get 2 passes to amex lounge at sydney airport.

You will get 100k MR points and I will get 30k.

Here is my link:

http://amex.com.au/refer/lindrvrYOk

Let me know if you have any questions on maximising points use.

This card is the best
- 2 points
per dollar spent at most places
- $400 annual travel credit which offsets the $395 annual fee
- Two passes to Amex lounge at Sydney Int'l Airport
- Travel / purchase insurance
- 100k MR points for you and 30k for me

Click on my link below to apply:

http://amex.com.au/refer/diz69wk

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate those who have applied for the Explorer card via my link. I've received a couple of referral bonuses this week, so I now have enough Membership Rewards points to book the flight I was aiming for, yippee! :D

As such, I'd encourage you to apply for this card using a referral link other than my own, as I'm sure there are people who need bonus MR points more than I do now - so let's share the love around!

(If you were eyeing off one of the Qantas or Velocity AMEX cards that I've also posted referral links for, do feel free to use my link as I'm still chasing both Qantas and Velocity points for other reward journeys... but when it comes to MR points which I convert to SQ KrisFlyer, I have what I need for now and don't want to be greedy!) :)

Hi!

I applied using a link from this forum, so I'm hoping I can also get a referral in return.

American Express Explorer Credit Card

The highlights are:

• Receive 100,000 Membership Rewards points when you apply online using my link before 28th September 2017, are approved and spend $1,500 on your Card within the first 3 months of card membership (available to new American Express card members only).
  • $400 American Express Travel Credit every year
  • Earn 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent on all purchases except government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 points per $1 spent
  • Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs
  • Smartphone Screen Insurance for up to $500 for screen repairs to your Smartphone when you pay for your phone or contract with your American Express Explorer Credit Card
  • 2 complimentary visits to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International Airport.

Annual fee: $395

4 membership rewards points = 3 Velocity or Krisflyer points. Therefore the 100,000 Membership Rewards points could be transferred to 75,000 Velocity points, or 75,000 Krisflyer points.

Apply using my referral link:
http://amex.com.au/refer/mattha4QcW

Please ensure you read and understand the terms and conditions before applying.

If you are successful in applying using my referral link, I will receive 30,000 referral points.

Thank you!

Hi All

Ok, I’m going to throw my hat in the ring again here and post my referral link for what is quite simply, the best card on the market – The AMEX Explorer Card!

The big sign up bonus is back so what better time to apply than now! Sign up using a referral link, and you'll earn 100,000 points (as a referrer, I'll earn 30,000 points for each referral made). Additionally there is currently an AMEX Life Insurance offer that I brought to the attention of the forum where new policies will receive 20,000 bonus points. Policies are coming in at around the $6 per month mark and with the ability to cancel after 6 months, this will be another very cheap way to add to your bonus points haul with this card!

My referral link can be found HERE

Details are: Receive 100,000 Membership Rewards® Bonus Points when you apply online by 20 September 2017, are approved and spend $1,500 on your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Card comes with a $395 annual fee.
Other key highlights:

· $400 travel credit for American Express Travel (book flights, car hire and hotels online - I've found AMEX competitive when compared to other major online travel booking engines) - (offsets the $395 annual fee)
· The usual suite of insurances are provided, including Smartphone Screen Insurance when you pay for your phone / contract with AMEX (for up to $500 repairs).
· 2 x invites to the AMEX Sydney International lounge are also on offer.

I signed up to this card back in January and it has been nothing short of fantastic. I’m not a big spender by any means but with an earn on spend of 2pts per $ on almost everything I’ve seen my points balance increase at a pretty quick pace. Add in the $400 travel credit which more than offsets the annual fee and the continuous stream of AMEX promotions and this becomes a no brainer.

As many would know Mrs NoName and I ate our way through various parts of the US last year on flights which were completely points-funded. I’m looking to go back some time in 2018 with the goal of returning in SQ Suites Class (don’t tell Mrs NoName!). If you enjoyed my trip report last time and would like to see more gluttonous displays in the future then a sign-up through my link would be very much appreciated.

Link below:

http://amex.com.au/refer/jameshFLW0

Thank you in advance for helping me return to the United States Of Eating and another dose of excess food consumption!

Excellent card for point earning alongside the Platinum Edge, please feel free to click my referral code below!

$395 annual fee which is offset with the included $400 travel credit.

You will get 100k MR Gateway points and I will get 30k.

http://amex.com.au/refer/finbamhgEU

Thanking you in advance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back