Amex Etihad 25 % transfer bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any value in Etihad redemptions?

I remember having played around with their tool before and was surprised that redemptions were a bit poor value but they've quite a number of partners (like OZ) so as long as these can be booked at a reasonable rate, I think this might be a decent deal.

Anyone care to comment on this?

EY have very low tax and very good cash plus points and I don't mind the website. I think this is a great deal.

This is an excellent deal. Award redemptions with Etihad are much cheaper than Qantas, Emirates, Cathay Pacific and pretty comparable to Singapore Airlines. On top of this, they have extremely cheap taxes compared to any other major carrier. With this 25% bonus, it makes it a great deal.

This is an excellent deal. Award redemptions with Etihad are much cheaper than Qantas, Emirates, Cathay Pacific and pretty comparable to Singapore Airlines. On top of this, they have extremely cheap taxes compared to any other major carrier. With this 25% bonus, it makes it a great deal.

Am I missing some trick here?

I've used their calculator a bit (Mileage calculator) and not taking into consideration the lower taxes, the actual mileage costs to redeem are nowhere as near as good as CX or SQ.

For example, CX pulls 160k miles for a return business trip for SYD-LHR whereas EY is wanting 281k. So I'm not too sure if I'm doing anything wrong here, or whether this is the 'norm'. Seems fairly steep to me, even with the 25% and lower fuel surcharges.

Am I missing some trick here?

I've used their calculator a bit (Mileage calculator) and not taking into consideration the lower taxes, the actual mileage costs to redeem are nowhere as near as good as CX or SQ.

For example, CX pulls 160k miles for a return business trip for SYD-LHR whereas EY is wanting 281k. So I'm not too sure if I'm doing anything wrong here, or whether this is the 'norm'. Seems fairly steep to me, even with the 25% and lower fuel surcharges.

I agree....seemed pretty steep to me as well. Not sure if I'm missing something.

CX SYD LHR and Sq both around 1600 in tax biz return
EY about 600
each to their own.

I don't know what the availability is like, but I think redemption of OZ and NH flights using EY miles seems to be of fantastic value.

For example with OZ, their redemption table is:

Asiana Airlines

Anything above 10,000 miles is flat priced at 138,000 miles in J.

Likewise, the ANA rates look fairly decent too:

http://www.etihadguest.com/Documents/Etihad Guest/PDFs/ANA-redemption.pdf

NRT-NYC for 120k return in F is great value!

I guess there are some downsides/uncertainties on this:

1. The miles required are cheap but what are the surcharges like?
2. The redemptions are likely to be limited to published routes. So NH with no current services to AU makes it less valuable unless you can position yourself first, but even with OZ which does fly daily to SYD, would this only allow redemptions for SYD-ICN as a separate flight then you have to book another from say ICN-JFK? Or can this be priced as a single ticket from SYD-ICN-JFK and return for 138k?
3. Is the availability on these two carriers the same to EY as to other *A carriers?

This is probably worth investigating...

Hi,

This seems to be on again from Citi however have already cashed out most of my points. Does anyone know if Etihad charges fuel surcharges for redeeming on ANA?

Thanks,
Paul

Hi,

This seems to be on again from Citi however have already cashed out most of my points. Does anyone know if Etihad charges fuel surcharges for redeeming on ANA?

Thanks,
Paul

No surcharges AFAIK. Unless it has changed recently. You can of course call EY and check.

I use AA points to get to AUH from Australia and then Etihad points from AUH to various places in Africa - and find that AUH to Africa has heaps of reward space. It's always really easy to book online and great when there are bonus transfers like these. From memory taxes are minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back