Amex Denying Bonus (30000) Sign-up Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcam

In December, I opened a new Amex Platinum CC via its online website, which advertised a 30000 MR points bonus as part of the sign-up. The terms were that I would be credited with 30000 MR points when I had spent $1000 with the card and that it would take 6-8 weeks for these poitns to be credited. I applied for the card via the on-line signup site.

I achieved the $1000 spend on January 10 and have still not been credited with these points. I have not received any written documentation from Amex with reference to these bonus points.

I called up Amex today and asked to speak to a supervisor. After quoting my CC number, I was told that there was never any association of bonus points in relation to my account. I have told the supervisor that it is unethical to be offering bonus points online and to have these points denied later as it comprises misleading advertising. As such, she has told me that this matter will be forwarded to the Marketing Department. I have requested that this be expedited so that the issue can be resolved before we lose the right to convert points to QFF after March 31.

Please note that this is not the first time that I have experienced this; I was denied 10000 QFF points by ANZ last year in exactly the same way. I had to wait 3 months for the points and then when I called up they said that there were never any bonus points associated with my account.
I would like to hear your views on this matter and likely outcomes. Also where should I go next in terms of consumer affairs departments?

I signed up for 2 amex cards - 17500 + 5000 + 2000 a few years ago. The second bonus (and possibly third) was never paid as promise in the add. i let it go at the time. But I guess with all the people milking AMEX (including the 3 million points guy) some of us will miss out!

Did you sign up from a link included with the description of the offer, or did you sign up going through some other means to the sign up page?

The linkage to the bonus typically is done by having to get to the sign up page through quite specific links.

Yes, I signed up from the specific link.
At the end of the day misleading advertising is simply not acceptable. I look forward to hearing from Amex by the end of the month.
Does someone here have the original URL for the link (from the Amex website)?

Why am I not surprised - Amex not honour a points promo.:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

My wife and I have applied fora number of Amex Bonuses, some the QF Card and some the Maximiser. Each used the special link page for the particular promo.

On say 5 occassions points werre not initially paid (or at least not by the stated timeline). I think twice points may well have been going to be paid eventually, but on at three times no bonus points would have been paid if they were not chased up.

After querying points were eventually paid for all.

Point to note however is that in most of my cases that the initial CSR has no power to actually award anything (the two acses where points were forthcoming was I think where amex was just being slow internally to post). To get a decision you need to get escalated. In my case for most that was the Complaints Department, buta supeevisor or possibly the Marketng Department may suffice.

My advice is not to not accept any nos and to just keep being firm, but polite till you are escalated to a level where the person can say yes. This person may need to investiagte and get back to you.

It is prudent to keep a copy of the original offer as the application process seems to often (at least the case of my wife and I) lose the link to the T&C that you signed up on. Amex is a very large worldwide organisation, but perhaps due to this sometimes needs "help" to align you with your sign-on promo.

In at least one case each for my wife and I the exact T&C signed up on was crucial to the points (and I also note that sign-up deals have since altered this particular T&C).

Print off screen shots if you can and contact www.fos.org.au - the financial services ombudsman.

I would suggest to go internally at Amex first. Provided one did join up ina releavant promo I have always found that they will pay the bonus...just that you have to justify it unfortunately.

I was on the 17,500 bonus and received the 7,500 points with no problems but had to call for the missing 10k points (after spending $5k). Amex had no record of me signing up for this promo, so I would recommend keeping screen-shots when you sign-up for anything using links. I got the persons name that I spoke to MR so that each time I called up, I asked for him - when he wasn't there, I left messages. The points were eventually credited 3 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back