Amex Charge - Upcoming large purchase above "credit limit"

lovestotravel

So I need to make a large purchase soon that is about double my "credit limit" on my plat charge card.

I know my "credit limit" as I was told it on the phone a few months back when I casually asked..

So to make this purchase that needs to go in one transaction, can I put my account into credit by pre-paying and then make the purchase ?

I was sure I have read that Amex don't like this and have cancelled cards for people who have done this ?

Amex is known for declining a single payment above the limit even if the account has been "pre-paid". You may need to have the sale processed in multiple transactions with each being below the "limit", then each transaction is only measured against the available credit.

So I need to make a large purchase soon that is about double my "credit limit" on my plat charge card.

I know my "credit limit" as I was told it on the phone a few months back when I casually asked..

So to make this purchase that needs to go in one transaction, can I put my account into credit by pre-paying and then make the purchase ?

I was sure I have read that Amex don't like this and have cancelled cards for people who have done this ?
You risk the transaction failing or Amex temporarily suspending your account. Both have happened to me.

Split the transaction or talk to Amex about a credit limit increase.

I have been able to do it once though I have tried 3 times. Each time I rang before I proceeded. Whether just a kind fellow on the one successful occasion I don't know.
So ring and maybe could be lucky.

IME, I've called AMEX first to get it pre-authorised and have done a manual payment over the phone. Since it's a Charge card, shouldnt have the same issue as with putting a credit card into credit. YMMV.

I called AMEX about this recently as I had to pay for all my new kitchen appliances for the new house build, which was 3X my credit limit. Even if I put the cash on the card so I was in credit, AMEX said they wouldn't approve the transaction.

So I split the purchase across 4 different cards so I was under my limit on each card and then used BPay to pay them all off the same day.

This is interesting. I was sure that when I previously had an Amex PC, when I tried a number above what they 'payment calculator' was saying it would give, Amex said "just transfer in the $ you want to spend in advance, then it will go through".
If they've changed that, or its something 'they don't like people doing' , this may affect my plans to put a car purchase through the Amex PC which I'm considering getting again.

Well an update to this.

I ended up being able to spend 3x my "credit limit:

I rang to ask officially what the best practice was as I needed to buy 4 x J seats for Xmas travel.... and also prepay some accommodation before a sale ended.

I was asked how much I wanted to spend and it was auto approved no issues

No idea why my "credit limit" had increased so much but it was easy!

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back